Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

28-02-2012, 17:34   #7981
Mindkiller
Closed Account

Watchmen was a terrible movie with little to no redeeming aspects. Hate it hate it hate it.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 11:38   #7982
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

3-Iron - unusual South Korean romance. A subtle film with extended patches of complete silence (the female lead doesn't say a word). The film takes a fairly significant tonal shift in the final act towards semi-surreal fantasy, but it still mostly works. Not really what I was expecting from the director of Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter but a very characteristic, involving film for sure.

Revenge: A Love Story - a Hong Kong film that has an identity crisis that's evident even in the title alone. It has quite a few interesting ideas and the overall structure and story is fairly diverting (except for a misjudged last minute reversal into ambiguity). But there's a conflicted morality to the film - it asks us to sympathise with characters whose actions are ultimately every bit as disturbed and deplorable as the 'villains' that occupy the piece. It makes a somewhat awkward film, albeit one whose novel approach makes it moderately interesting. Still, far from the most accomplished 'revenge' movie to emerge from East Asia in recent times.
29-02-2012, 11:52   #7983
That_Guy

Send a message via Skype™ to That_Guy
Chronicle:

If you're going to see this, you should probably go in without having seen the trailer or TV spots beforehand. It gives far too much of the story away in my opinion and you're left with no surprise whatsoever come the end of it.

It starts off quite well. I'm not a big fan of the "found footage" gimmick bar Cloverfield and I feel it could have done without it. The use of the camera works well at the beginning but by the end it becomes quite ridiculous and loses its sense of authenticity.

I enjoyed the start and certain parts of the middle but I was more annoyed with the trailer basically giving everything away. Bad call on the producers fault there methinks.

Last edited by That_Guy; 29-02-2012 at 11:54.
29-02-2012, 13:01   #7984
weiland79

Killer Elite the Brazilian version not the Jason Statham one.

Produced or Directed or in some way connected with some dude that had something to do with City of God

Anyway The Killer elite are the badass mofo's that get called in when the brown stuff hits the fan, and the regular cops aren't up to the task.

I loved it.
29-02-2012, 13:10   #7985
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiland79 View Post
Killer Elite the Brazilian version not the Jason Statham one.

Produced or Directed or in some way connected with some dude that had something to do with City of God

Anyway The Killer elite are the badass mofo's that get called in when the brown stuff hits the fan, and the regular cops aren't up to the task.

I loved it.
I think you mean Elite Squad, not Killer Elite. Check out the sequel. It's just as good, but focuses more on the politics.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 16:51   #7986
Mike Litoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
I remember that myself, brilliant thinking on his part obviously, it was far more important for the success of the film Spoiler: to have his identity concealed to make it more of a shock factor or at least more of a mystery than to have him up there as a named star.

It just worked so much better and Spoiler: was beautifully unselfish!

As good a reason as any to say I love Kevin Spacey!
Didn't know that but do I remember being shocked and awed in the cinema when he did appear on screen. This was only the 1st or second film I'd seen him in. Cant remeber if I saw The Usual Suspects 1st or not but I remember thinking what a great actor.
29-02-2012, 17:02   #7987
Mickeroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Litoris View Post
Didn't know that but do I remember being shocked and awed in the cinema when he did appear on screen. This was only the 1st or second film I'd seen him in. Cant remeber if I saw The Usual Suspects 1st or not but I remember thinking what a great actor.
I don't see the big deal with him keeping his name off the posters, it doesn't make a difference to the enjoyment of the film knowing the actor Spoiler: that plays John Does since he's not actually physically involved in proceedings until he turns himself in, its of no consequence to the story who plays him its what happens Spoiler: regarding Gwyneth Paltrows head that is the real twist. Its different in a film such as the usual suspects for example where it could be any of the characters in the film. Besides Spacey was not quite a household name yet when Seven came out i thought?
29-02-2012, 18:27   #7988
Finneen
Banned

Code of silence - Chuck Norris' worst movie but still watchable.
29-02-2012, 19:16   #7989
OldeCinemaSoz

SCARFACE

A film which still delivers the goods every time I see it.

One of the ultimate gangster films which ranks alongside
GET CARTER, THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY and ONCE UPON A
TIME IN AMERICA for being a benchmark definitive.

Wonderful long drawn out stuff. An epic.

10/10
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 19:29   #7990
ronoc 1

i saw the good the bad and the weird,fantastic movie thats basically a homage to the good the bad and the ugly.people on this website had recomended this film amd im glad i taped it.the chase scene near the end of the film was amazing,it reminded me of mad max 2.its a shame rte didnt put this film at a more accessible time because i think there would have been a big audience for it.
29-02-2012, 19:53   #7991
Skinfull

Send a message via MSN to Skinfull
The Towering Infereno Love this movie. It never ceases to amaze me just how many famous people are actually in this flick! They just keep appearing!!

But apart from that its still a rollicking good movie!
29-02-2012, 19:53   #7992
Skinfull

Send a message via MSN to Skinfull
oopps... double post. I hiccuped as I press "submit" must have double clicked!

Last edited by Skinfull; 29-02-2012 at 19:55.
29-02-2012, 22:14   #7993
Technocentral

Just watched The Apartment, up there with Lemmon's best such as The Odd Couple and Some Like It Hot, hilarious with a bit of drama thrown in, Shirley Mc Claine is gorgeous in it.
29-02-2012, 23:29   #7994
SarahBM

+1 for the Towering Inferno - I love it!!!

Watched Star Wars Ep VI last night which brings to an end my Star Wars saga. I found the end to be a little anti climactic to be honest. Ep VI is the best of them all.

Last edited by SarahBM; 29-02-2012 at 23:32.
01-03-2012, 14:00   #7995
craftypaddy
Closed Account

baseline dodgey british gangster film 4/10
goon trailer was the best part 3/10
the runway not bad, about a columbian that crashes a plane in mallow, all the locals get together to rebuild the plane and make a runway, bit cheesy but ok 6/10
take shelter, not what i was expecting 4/10
halfway through Coriolanus now good film so far
Thread Closed