Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-02-2012, 14:00   #166
Shorty11857

Are the prices on the website accurate for what they offer on trade in?

Also is there any number you can call to ask about things not listed on the website?
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 16:29   #167
Mr.Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty11857 View Post
Are the prices on the website accurate for what they offer on trade in?

Also is there any number you can call to ask about things not listed on the website?
The prices listed are accurate, yes. From my experiences trading with them, at least.

Also, I'm not sure about a phone number, but if you search on their UK website, their trade-in prices are generally consistent with its Irish counterpart, and their library is a lot more expansive, so I've found it to be handy when stumped on a price or two.
28-02-2012, 16:46   #168
Shorty11857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Saturn View Post
The prices listed are accurate, yes. From my experiences trading with them, at least.

Also, I'm not sure about a phone number, but if you search on their UK website, their trade-in prices are generally consistent with its Irish counterpart, and their library is a lot more expansive, so I've found it to be handy when stumped on a price or two.
Thanks that's good to know

It's okay I actually found what I was looking for, just had to use the search to find listings they didn't have in stock, is there any easier way to see that stuff?
02-12-2012, 00:47   #169
JBG2011

Rather than start a new thread I'll necro bump this one.

Only found out about CEX this week and made my maiden visit today. Had an awful lot of stuff to trade in, and got a fair bit of cash in return.

CEX's trade in prices for cash or store credit is pretty good, 9/10 they are better than Gamestop or HMV. They'll also buy a lot of stuff other places won't touch. I had a hassle free experience despite spending about an hour at the counter sorting out all my trade ins. I had a quick look about the shelves and didn't see many bargains, a lot of their games for sale are overpriced, but I'd wager that most people that buy stuff there are partially using store credit on their trade ins and CEX effectively make their money on the cash handed in to make up the difference.

I felt very sorry for the staff working there as it must truly be one of the toughest retail jobs around. All of the staff appeared to be quite pleasant people but you can see how they can get jaded and CEX stores have an awful reputation in the UK for customer care and rudeness to punters. For the first half an hour I was there all of the punters were grand, mainly regular joes and a few foreigners trading games or phones. However, at about 4pm the place became something like the Walking Dead with swarms of trackies and druggies wandering in trying to fence loot. I had heard about this happening but it was eye opening to see it in the flesh. Scumbags were walking in with what were obviously stolen mobile phones and laptops, wanting straight cash. One guy had a gorgeous lime green laptop that was so hot it was positively glowing. The staff wouldn't buy from him as he had no ID and it was obvious that he couldn't even work the thing. The staff are no fools: one of them asked to switch off and on a mobile and the trackie wasn't able to input the pin unlock, so obviously nicked. The behaviour of these guys was borderline aggressive and there was an uncomfortable atmosphere in there. At one point the staff announced there were no longer handing out cash ("our tills are closed") to make it clear to the scumbags that they weren't playing ball.

Great place to trade stuff, so long as you have ID and proof of address and are realistic about the valuation CEX put on your goods. You obviously won't get anywhere near as good a deal as you would selling on ebay, adverts etc, but its better than other trade in outlets. Wouldn't really recommend buying anything straight with cash as the cash only shelf prices are uncompetitive. Furthermore, I wouldn't buy electronics there as you are always taking a risk with second hand phones etc and I doubt they have the after sales infrastructure to help you out in any meaningful way.
(2) thanks from:
02-12-2012, 02:04   #170
cloud493

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Seen a guy last week with an iphone he had no charger for, and didn't know the pin to unlock the screen
Advertisement
03-12-2012, 11:48   #171
penev10

The junkies would put you off going in. I've left on 2 occasions having been in the queue to pay only for scumbags to skip in line and begin harassing everyone in the shop.

Definitely needs security staff.
03-12-2012, 11:56   #172
super_furry

It's hard to see just what they're going for there. I've been to CEX shops in Britain in the past and they were proper videogame shops - sold new releases, consoles and imports. Now it's just an electronics and DVD pawn shop.

You wouldn't buy anything there because it's all overpriced, it's unpleasant to visit because of miserable staff and junkies trying to flog Dunnes bags full of nicked DVDs and phones. People don't seem to buy stuff there, they just sell stuff so it's hard to see where they're making their money.
03-12-2012, 12:16   #173
penev10

I've seen a fair few people buying phones and DVDs there. I've bought 3 games there in 18 months, 2 of which were €2 PSP games.
03-12-2012, 13:34   #174
saiint
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_furry View Post
It's hard to see just what they're going for there. I've been to CEX shops in Britain in the past and they were proper videogame shops - sold new releases, consoles and imports. Now it's just an electronics and DVD pawn shop.

You wouldn't buy anything there because it's all overpriced, it's unpleasant to visit because of miserable staff and junkies trying to flog Dunnes bags full of nicked DVDs and phones. People don't seem to buy stuff there, they just sell stuff so it's hard to see where they're making their money.
their making their money everyday
the amount of cheap games,dvds,ipods,ipads etc... in their is unreal

example
fifa 13
gamestop its 55e brand new 49.99 pre owned ( trade in value less then 10e)
hmv 44.99 new trade in value (18e)
cex 39.99 pre owned trade in value (24e)

its cheaper in cex and they give better trade in values
and that game is basicly new
Advertisement
03-12-2012, 13:51   #175
cloud493

But people need to buy stuff, not just trade in. Also a fair few of their game prices are way out of date.
03-12-2012, 14:00   #176
super_furry

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiint View Post
their making their money everyday
the amount of cheap games,dvds,ipods,ipads etc... in their is unreal

example
fifa 13
gamestop its 55e brand new 49.99 pre owned ( trade in value less then 10e)
hmv 44.99 new trade in value (18e)
cex 39.99 pre owned trade in value (24e)

its cheaper in cex and they give better trade in values
and that game is basicly new
Yes but that €39.99 CEX are charging becomes €51.99 when you realise you have to spend €12 on an online pass if you want to play the game online, making it more expensive than buying it new.
03-12-2012, 14:04   #177
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

I've traded in a few things in there without any issues, but I felt very uncomfortable being handed cash over the counter with all the scummers hanging around.
Thanks from:
03-12-2012, 15:36   #178
saiint
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_furry View Post
Yes but that €39.99 CEX are charging becomes €51.99 when you realise you have to spend €12 on an online pass if you want to play the game online, making it more expensive than buying it new.
not if you have had the game before
with your post your basicly saying their cheap and ea are ripping us off
you cant say cex are involved for that cheapest games around i think
bar one or two titles which may differ
hell i think i even seen assassins creed 3 in their for 42.99 and black ops 2 for 42.99
03-12-2012, 16:10   #179
super_furry

No I'm saying CEX's prices are too high when its a mere fiver cheaper than buying the new version. Also that you don't even get the full package when you buy from them but their prices don't reflect this.
03-12-2012, 16:58   #180
cloud493

Their prices are high considering there's two gamestops and a HMV very close it already.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion