Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-02-2012, 20:51   #976
Wibbs

I bloody love the Stowa range dancrowley. Very understated and elegant. Very little bling going on. Classic styling with little movement touches to match. Look at the vintage stylee regulator on that beauty. Just like they had back in the day. Handwind too, none of this automatic lazy boyo stuff Lovely watch DC, well may you wear.
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 06:03   #977
dancrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
I bloody love the Stowa range dancrowley. Very understated and elegant. Very little bling going on. Classic styling with little movement touches to match. Look at the vintage stylee regulator on that beauty. Just like they had back in the day. Handwind too, none of this automatic lazy boyo stuff Lovely watch DC, well may you wear.
Many thanks, Wibbs! I've a soft spot for what these guys deliver, too. This was my first Stowa, and for sure it won't be the last. They had a sale recently, and I picked myself up one of what you see below... it's one of just 19 (w/black hands, logo and date); they're unsure if they'll make any more of these, so for now it's a "Special Edition".

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

These watches are an absolute steal. I was in a high-end watch store last night trying on pieces which cost many times what I paid for the Marine Original, and the sales guys couldn't take their eyes off it. Definitely worth the 3-month wait!
29-02-2012, 00:30   #978
Cul a cnoic

I have always had an interest in watches but don't have many and this was given to me at the weekend.

Its a Stainless Steel Baume but thats about all I know of it. I believe it was bough in America in the fifties, new or secondhand I don't know, so it maybe older.

I have ordered a new strap and spring pins, as you can see from the last pic, a soldered wire was previously used to hold it onto the old type military straps. It also needs a good cleaning as it has been in a box for at least the last 25 years. These pics were taken tonight without flash, so the quality is not great.

Anyone know anything about this type watch, there are none like it an the old internet?

Thanks

(3) thanks from:
29-02-2012, 08:47   #979
Wibbs

Looks like 1950's to me alright. Stylish looking. Are Baume the same as Baume et Mercier? I think so, in which case it's a good solid maker and would have some value alright. How big is it? Size affects value as vintage tends to be smaller than the monsters of today If it's around the 35mm wide mark then that helps, if under 30 mm not so much.

Like you suggest I'd get it cleaned and oiled, slap a strap on it and wear it as a bit of family history. You won't see anyone else wearing one anyway. Nice present.
Thanks from:
29-02-2012, 09:13   #980
CarltonBrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by peasant View Post
Is that mechanical? ('tis very thin)

If so ...any info on the movement?
Apologies for the delay; it had slipped my mind. The movement is a Universal 1-42. The original seller's movement pic.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...Universal_42_1
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 22:27   #981
Cul a cnoic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
Looks like 1950's to me alright. Stylish looking. Are Baume the same as Baume et Mercier? I think so, in which case it's a good solid maker and would have some value alright. How big is it? Size affects value as vintage tends to be smaller than the monsters of today If it's around the 35mm wide mark then that helps, if under 30 mm not so much.

Like you suggest I'd get it cleaned and oiled, slap a strap on it and wear it as a bit of family history. You won't see anyone else wearing one anyway. Nice present.
Thanks Wibbs for the reply. Just measured it and its 35mm outside diameter. Its keeping good time, so not interested in opening it up as yet. Apart from leaving it to get serviced (and cleaned), any tips for a general cleaning of it myself to start with.
Thanks again.
Thanks from:
29-02-2012, 22:42   #982
Wibbs

35 MM is a nice size, especially for vintage. Myself I'd leave it pretty much alone C. Down the line maybe get a pro to polish the case? Stainless steel is a beauty for this. About the best material for a watch case for longevity. A new glass properly fitted and in keeping can make a helluva diff with a vintage. Leave it alone and wear it on a nice strap and enjoy it. Nice watch. Kudos and well may you wear.
Thanks from:
29-02-2012, 23:44   #983
Wibbs

OK I've been saving the pennies and taking a leaf from Peasants book(a very good book BTW. Cheap too ). Been keeping my poor monetarily constricted eye out for bargains. I have a couple pending but here's one I got in the post...(for mid range G-Shock money too)

It's a Hampden "wristlet" watch(on a period so called Kitchener strap I had laying around) from before world war one. Like 1909. Over a century old. It's a lever set watch. What this means is that rather than pulling out the winding crown to set the hands, you have to flip the lid and slide out a lever under the 5 and then the crown will set the hands. Very steampunk looking too, I've been informed by the better informed/younger set .

The case is fixed lug and very high quality. I have polished it up a little, I could make it like new, but I like the patina of age.

The movement is very nice. Most early wristwatches are low jewel ladies pocket watch movements. 7 jewel or less. Not this bad boy. 15 jewel in screwed chatons and micrometer adjustment with very fancy finishing on the plates.

That's the movement in a pocket watch, but you get the idea(it's like 25mm ). IMHO our Yankee cousins were massively ahead on this score at the time and after. With a few notable high grade Swiss exceptions(Zenith/Longines/Omega) early wristlet movements were very workaday. Early Rolex movements with the very rare exception of their extra prima line were pretty basic, even crappy. An Elgin or Zenith would blow the majority of Rolex movements out of the water IMHO. Nearly a century later my 1916 Longines is consistent to a few seconds a day either way. And I don't spare the horses when I wear it at least once a week. Hell I had a bad fall that left me wrecked and I even landed on it, but it kept on going. These early wristwatches are not nearly as delicate as claimed in my experience. I wouldn't go swimming in one but otherwise I've been surprised.

The only thing is the dial. It's an original (and rare enough in my searching) Hampden dial alright and the hands are right too, but one doesn't fit the other quite right... The dial is designed for radium paint, the hands aren't. Luckily I found an American chap who sent me the right dial for the hands and at a daftly low price. Like just over a tenner. And he was overly cautious in his description. Nice guy. I could have looked for the right hands and keep the existing dial instead but they're rarer again.

Hopefully I get one more "grail" watch, if my funds will allow. Fingers crossed...

This has been brough to you, by the Vintage nutter society of Ireland. Down with automatics and reliable water proofing we say. New fangled nonsense. Haaaarumph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hammy1.jpg (101.5 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg hammy dial.jpg (31.9 KB, 10 views)
29-02-2012, 23:53   #984
Bullseye1
Closed Account

Is that a birth year watch W.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 00:01   #985
Wibbs

Banned...
Thanks from:
01-03-2012, 00:23   #986
Bullseye1
Closed Account

Testing!

LOL
Thanks from:
01-03-2012, 08:51   #987
Cyrus

Morning all,

For some reason the IWC flieger chrono and I werent getting along, so it promptly got moved on, and i had the opportunity to buy another classic pilots watch that i have always wanted to try, Breitling Navi in tri compax format, chuffed with it

Also bought from adverts so that was nice, thats a few watches ive bought and sold in ireland which is always good!

01-03-2012, 09:08   #988
ronnie3585

Very nice Cyrus, the only Breitling that I like. It looks great.
Thanks from:
01-03-2012, 16:53   #989
Mitch Buchannon

That's a great looking watch Cyrus. That along with the Speedy are two of the most classic/timeless chrono's ever IMO.
01-03-2012, 17:12   #990
Reloc8
Closed Account

Looks great Cyrus - that's the only Breitling I have ever thought of buying. Wear it well.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion