Opinions on Newcastlewest. - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-02-2012, 19:00   #1
Jimmy Garlic

Opinions on Newcastlewest.

I am not from the town originally but I have been living in NCW for nearly 10 years. The place seems to really be going downhill, shops closing, pubs closing, dilapidation (maiden st is a real mess), the rising scumbag population.

It really doesn't seem to have much going for it. There is no comparison with Charleville for example, a good business town that has a sense of life about it. I have given up going out in NCW as there are only one or two pubs worth going in to.

I hope things improve in NCW soon as it seems to be on a slippery slope.

What is your opinion of NCW?.
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 19:20   #2
Casperbhoy

The town doubled in size since the boom, no planning whatsoever.
large housing estates with no facilities. The only cinema & public swimming pool are closed.

Tesco & lidl have taken the heart out of the town centre, i can go on.
26-02-2012, 20:37   #3
Jimmy Garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperbhoy View Post
The town doubled in size since the boom, no planning whatsoever.
large housing estates with no facilities. The only cinema & public swimming pool are closed.

Tesco & lidl have taken the heart out of the town centre, i can go on.
Town center is dieing as far as business goes. There was absolutely no forethought when it came to planning. Backwards thinking and lots of shoddy housing estates.
26-02-2012, 22:29   #4
liammur
Closed Account

It doesn't help when county limerick hasn't got an IDA job in about 40 years, look up the road, and you have rathkeale, another town falling apart.
26-02-2012, 22:30   #5
byhookorbycrook

Traffic doesn't help either-that and the seemingly constant roadworks
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 22:36   #6
Jimmy Garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by liammur View Post
It doesn't help when county limerick hasn't got an IDA job in about 40 years, look up the road, and you have rathkeale, another town falling apart.
I would say Rathkeale is a town that has already fallen apart, its in a desperate state.
27-02-2012, 04:08   #7
Silentcorner

Yawn!!! Could be worse Jimmy, you could be living in Strabane...
27-02-2012, 09:45   #8
JerryHandbag
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by byhookorbycrook View Post
Traffic doesn't help either-that and the seemingly constant roadworks
The new roundabout down from Tesco is a huge help in terms of making that junction easier to use, but yeah overall the traffic is a problem. Aint gonna change either with a bypass a long long way off I'd say.
27-02-2012, 18:54   #9
bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by liammur View Post
That Poor Cinema has been looking abandoned for years
even as a kid passing through the town I can never remember it being opened. Very Very Quite place anytime I've been there. (Although its always been during the day) I've never seen any tourists there and people passing through stick out like a sore thumb.

Whoever is selling the locals the Transits is doing great business
The amount of Transits in that town is unreal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQ1wnnJMts

~B
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 20:27   #10
danbrosnan

transits!!!

There plenty new transits around alright all over the place... the social welfare are great employers.... Its the same all over ireland, if political people had the brains with all the years in collage, to know that these huge shopping centers would take trade from the towns into the outskirts... Its the same in tralee and while manor west is a great shopping centre it has taken a lot of shops and everything else to the cleaners... I have only ever passed through newcastlewest and to be honest there is nothing to entice me to go into the town centre....
27-02-2012, 20:43   #11
liammur
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrosnan View Post
There plenty new transits around alright all over the place... the social welfare are great employers.... Its the same all over ireland, if political people had the brains with all the years in collage, to know that these huge shopping centers would take trade from the towns into the outskirts... Its the same in tralee and while manor west is a great shopping centre it has taken a lot of shops and everything else to the cleaners... I have only ever passed through newcastlewest and to be honest there is nothing to entice me to go into the town centre....
Towns need jobs, the IDA and governments have failed Limerick very, very badly. A tesco moving to the outskirts isn't the cause of a town failing. How do I know this ?

Towns like rathkeale have no tescos as far as I know.

Can anyone remember when Co. Limerick actually got an IDA job last ?
28-02-2012, 03:41   #12
JupiterKid

Perhaps one of the reasons why Limerick is not thriving is because so many people elected total gombeen imbeciles as TDs again and again and again - TDs who promised the Moon and the stars but actually delivered f*** all.

Last edited by JupiterKid; 28-02-2012 at 03:51.
(4) thanks from:
28-02-2012, 09:18   #13
seachto7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrosnan View Post
I have only ever passed through newcastlewest and to be honest there is nothing to entice me to go into the town centre....
It's worth stopping off for the curry and stuffing chip in superdine........
28-02-2012, 10:24   #14
liammur
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterKid View Post
Perhaps one of the reasons why Limerick is not thriving is because so many people elected total gombeen imbeciles as TDs again and again and again - TDs who promised the Moon and the stars but actually delivered f*** all.
Spot on.
500 jobs for Cork today, 1000 for Louth, 800 sky for Dublin, few hundred for Galway last week.

Heads should roll in the IDA, as it is small business people in Limerick and around the country that are paying their wages.
28-02-2012, 16:35   #15
pappyodaniel

I read the thread title wrong and thought it said 'Onions on Newcastlewest'

(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size