Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-02-2012, 20:54   #136
2nd Row Donkey

Was gonna stick this in the Arsenal thread but it probably belongs in here.

We all wondered how the team would respond to the England job talk.
1st game afterwards and we hammered Newcastle in easily our best performance of the season. But to be fair i think the performance was probably a response to Harry's trial result as much as anything.

Since then we played Stevenage and we were muck, we wrote that one off to the romance of the FA cup. Yesterday we were destroyed by Arsenal plain and simple. Its very worrying and with Man U up next another defeat is looming... hopefully the performace will be much better.
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 21:34   #137
Hatch99
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Row Donkey View Post
Was gonna stick this in the Arsenal thread but it probably belongs in here.

We all wondered how the team would respond to the England job talk.
1st game afterwards and we hammered Newcastle in easily our best performance of the season. But to be fair i think the performance was probably a response to Harry's trial result as much as anything.

Since then we played Stevenage and we were muck, we wrote that one off to the romance of the FA cup. Yesterday we were destroyed by Arsenal plain and simple. Its very worrying and with Man U up next another defeat is looming... hopefully the performace will be much better.
I think he was shown up tactically yesterday and he got team selection wrong. In saying that, I wont lose the plot over one result. We need to avoid defeat next sunday.
28-02-2012, 10:31   #138
2nd Row Donkey

Yeah, at this stage I would take two draws in the next two games as it will be good for morale not to be beaten but 2 points from 9 is woeful.
28-02-2012, 10:37   #139
irishmover

Harry to be frank, has more cons than pros. However all cons are outweighed by the one pro which is the players want to play for him.

If he goes, then who would follow him? Would we get a manager who can handle the players and remove HR's cons? Difficult to say.

But yeh I wouldn't put the Newcastle game down as any significance. They were without their starting CM's and played attacking style away from home. It wasn't gonna end well. We just took advantage. I expected us to win 3-0 that day once I seen the lineups. Just look at our results in 2012. Hardly anything to write home about. A repeat of February - May of 2011 in 2012 has been a worry for me since Christmas time. It is very much possible we'll go the same path.

Man Utd then chelsea soon after. Fail to get 2+ points from those two and we're right into a battle for 3rd and 4th. Within 2 weeks we could see a 5 way battle for 3rd/4th.

Man utd is never a good game for us, home or away. Chelsea has been a better game but who knows with them. They could do what arsenal done to us.

Other spurs forums are a cringe. Full of too many fickle fans. Things like 'king is past it' and Modric isn't worth 10m are unreal.

I'll reserve my judgment of Harry until our final league position is confirmed. If we fail to finish in the top 4, regardless of FA cup success/failure then I would say its time for him to move on. For now we're 7 points clear of 4th with plenty of football to play. Wouldn't have thought that at the start of the season. Considering the signings we made and the start we had.
Thanks from:
28-02-2012, 11:20   #140
2nd Row Donkey

Your point about our team form been the same as this time last year is well made. I'd also be worried by Bale's form matching that of 12 months ago too. Maybe he needs a rest.

The rest of the players will pick themselves up fine. So BAE had a stinker, so what, its better that he made 3 mistakes in one game rather then 3 in 3 seperate games and cost us more points.

I'm sure the players feel they let the fans down on Sunday and the next game cant come quick enough so they can lay the ghost of the emirates to rest and move on.
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 11:27   #141
irishmover

Quote:
Your point about our team form been the same as this time last year is well made. I'd also be worried by Bale's form matching that of 12 months ago too. Maybe he needs a rest.

The rest of the players will pick themselves up fine. So BAE had a stinker, so what, its better that he made 3 mistakes in one game rather then 3 in 3 seperate games and cost us more points.

I'm sure the players feel they let the fans down on Sunday and the next game cant come quick enough so they can lay the ghost of the emirates to rest and move on.
You would have to wonder about BAE's fitnes for the match though. If he wasn't fit and played I'd be more annoyed about his performance than if he was fit.

Lennon last season with a bust up with HR rings a bell. But if you don't feel fit it's better to not play.
28-02-2012, 13:25   #142
KingdomYid

Quote:
Yeah, at this stage I would take two draws in the next two games as it will be good for morale not to be beaten but 2 points from 9 is woeful.
Not as woeful as you make it sound considering we would have played Arsenal and Everton away (both very tricky fixtures) aswell as the Champions at home.
04-03-2012, 18:19   #143
keane=cock

is harry future affecting the team now? last few performances and results especially have been disappointing. is this the reason??
04-03-2012, 20:03   #144
2nd Row Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by keane=cock View Post
is harry future affecting the team now? last few performances and results especially have been disappointing. is this the reason??
There is no doubt about it my mind...
Even if he wants the job he needs to come out and make a big statement to say he's going to stay on nrxt season.
The FA can come looking in May and by then the season is over.
The FA have really screwed us over by delaying their decision. Now the spurs players dont know whats going to happen nrxt and Levy cant do a damn thing about a replacement.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-03-2012, 20:20   #145
PogMoThoin
Closed Account

Quote:
There is no doubt about it my mind...
Even if he wants the job he needs to come out and make a big statement to say he's going to stay on nrxt season.
The FA can come looking in May and by then the season is over.
The FA have really screwed us over by delaying their decision. Now the spurs players dont know whats going to happen nrxt and Levy cant do a damn thing about a replacement.
Yep, it's like that whole Modric thing all over again
04-03-2012, 20:42   #146
VanZan
Dragon Slayer

Can't really tell at the moment. The result and performance of the Stevenage game will speak volumes.
05-03-2012, 21:50   #147
THFC

Quote:
No, the performances have poor for quite some time now, this Harry for England thing is nothing more than an excuse imo. Ever since the Wolves game, even since the WB at the start of January we've been playing poorly. This was disguised by us playing some poor teams and grinding out the results, but now we've come up against quality opposition and our poor form is starting to show. This team reminds me a lot of the Villa team of a few season ago, looking a certianty for fourth but eventually dropping out due to fatigue. We've played a very similar XI since last August and it's finally starting to show. Call me pessimistic, but I'm nervous even for top 4 now, never mind top 3, we're so lucky Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have been worse than us this season. We're also lucky we have no games against top 6 teams other than Chelsea away, it could be our saving grace.

Also, I think vdV needs to make a return to the team, he adds that extra bit of magic, and despite Saha's goals, he has contributed little and is like a black hole, ball goes in but never comes out. I'd rather see Defoe than him in the team, other than last season when he was coming back from injury he has proved he can score goals on a regular basis.
05-03-2012, 23:03   #148
keane=cock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogMoThoin View Post
Yep, it's like that whole Modric thing all over again
i have heard a rumour modric was offered a 100k per week contract but has stalled on signing it til he finds out who the manager is next season.

anyone else hear this???
05-03-2012, 23:17   #149
KingdomYid

Quote:
i have heard a rumour modric was offered a 100k per week contract but has stalled on signing it til he finds out who the manager is next season.

anyone else hear this???
Source? If its the Daily Mail its not true.
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2012, 09:16   #150
everdead.ie

Rumpled cappello is interested I would take him in a heart beat he'd do wonders for us IMO.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion