Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nintendo Famicom AV Mod

Options
  • 27-02-2012 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

A real retro one this, & oddball too. The Nintendo Famicom is basically the Japanese version of the NES. It does have superior sound capabilities, but essentially it's an 8-bit NES. The problem with these is, they are NTSC only only supporting RF out...all you'll get over here is a crappy black & white image.

Enter, the AV mod. Here's the Famicom, some slight differences to the NES as you can see...the joypad cables are integrated into the console [non removable] & are quite short. Pad 2 also has a built in mic which you can use in certain games.

33ok7lk.jpg

Underneath

35c2xba.jpg

The video signal is taken from pin 21 of the ppu [picture processing unit]

2pyw6yx.jpg

It's then fed into this circuit I built. Most guides detail soldering these components directly onto the board, but I chose to use a small section of proto board. It's better for the console, & the video picture will be clearer because the signal will be cleaner.

kyuusaku.gif

1h35hw.jpg

5v & ground are taken directly off the power regulator, & fed appropriately into the circuit

30ixft5.jpg

1h35hw.jpg

The video output is then fed to an rca jack. I've one or two spare scart/av blocks, so I stripped one down & cut it to size rather than ordering chassic mounted ones. This will be much more sturdy, & better shielded

v5y92w.jpg

That's basically it, the rca jack is connected to the new circuit I built. Time for a quick shake down

nxmy8.jpg

What do ya know, it works!

242icjl.jpg

Ok, back to work. I need sound. It's taken off of pin 46 of the underside of the cart connector, & a ground too.

2zyej4i.jpg

It's then fed to the appropriate connectors on the back of the rca jack

2wrqbg1.jpg

With everything checked & working, I mounted the rca unit into the console by drilling three holes

n18q45.jpg

Time to mount everything inside, & hot glue ot down. This is important because the cart eject mechanism is a moving slider & can easily snag/crush the new cables.

p59a1.jpg

Voila

29ve8t3.jpg

That's it, it's a nice little mod all in all. Took a while to get the technicalities correct because there's a good few board variations. Sometimes different value caps yield better results than others because of this. Also, there's an additional cap in place between pins 20 & 22 of the ppu to eliminate white bars on bright screen. I forgot to take pics of that bit, but it's done.

I used this guide, & the thread linked within for reference - http://jpx72.detailne.sk/modd_files/fc/avmod.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

EnterNow wrote: »

1h35hw.jpg

Cute! I think this would be an appropriate moment to ask you a question about your mega drive mod. Imminent bumpage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

waveform wrote: »
    Cute! I think this would be an appropriate moment to ask you a question about your mega drive mod. Imminent bumpage!

Whats the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

EnterNow wrote: »
    Whats the question?

It turns out there's none now!

I somehow confused your display mod, for some kind of "color correction" switch which does not exist!

So I'm good to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

Hi all,

Haven't been on boards in a while so hope ye can help. I bought a famicom on fleabay and hadn't looked into the problems you can encounter. After reading about your mod I'm very impressed. I'm have problem with my output however. I have a non modded famicom and a 50/60hz tv I'm using a standard rf lead with a nes rf switch. The power supply is the original and I'm using a step down transformer. My problem is I'm getting no video output at all. Not even the black and white picture described above. Does this mean I have a broken fami? The wrong tv? Wrong rf connector? Or all of the above?

Hope ye can help!

I'm at my wits end!

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hi all,

Haven't been on boards in a while so hope ye can help. I bought a famicom on fleabay and hadn't looked into the problems you can encounter. After reading about your mod I'm very impressed. I'm have problem with my output however. I have a non modded famicom and a 50/60hz tv I'm using a standard rf lead with a nes rf switch. The power supply is the original and I'm using a step down transformer. My problem is I'm getting no video output at all. Not even the black and white picture described above. Does this mean I have a broken fami? The wrong tv? Wrong rf connector? Or all of the above?

Hope ye can help!

I'm at my wits end!

Al.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to tune it at all using RF on modern TVs... that is if the unit is even functioning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Achilles wrote: »
    that is if the unit is even functioning.

Not working? What do you think this is a modern console!

Anyway, the OP sent me the Famicom to have a looksee. There was nothing wrong with it, its just our TV's don't really like the NTSC signal over RF so there is but one solution - to AV mod it.

The mod itself has changed since I done Atavans one above, so I'll throw up some pics of how I got on with this one:

The OP asked if I could fit the av outputs at the rear of the console. Unfortunately this is where the power board lives, & a big RF modulator amongst other things. You could desolder & remove all these things but I'm not quite sure whats needed & not needed so I didn't fancy using someone elses console as a guinea pig. Safest option is to put them where there's room for them

2h84d1k.jpg

Instead of adding in a transistor, the recommended way now is to remove this existing one, bend the pins a certain way, & solder it back into place on the underside of the board. Sorry for the blurry pic!

21rdxx.jpg

34rdi5d.jpg

9776nk.jpg

Its also recommended now to build the video circuit actually on the motherboard itself, rather than building it on breadbin board like I did above. Apparently this way the video leads picks up less interference.

icmn3t.jpg

2uep9v6.jpg

Also new is adding this tiny cab between two pins of the PPU.

2448m10.jpg

Time to test. You can see the jailbars pretty obvious here. Hmm, not good!

35klc46.jpg

fpbhjn.jpg

Ok so after some tinkering, & adding another higher value cap {33uF} cap between the same two pins of the PPU, I was able to reduce the jailbars by some degree, to show this:

15cbj1f.jpg

23v0qvb.jpg

Much improved. You can bearly see them at all, though they're not eliminated completely. To do that requires a lot more tinkering about!

Ok so, I'm happy I got the bars reduced as best I can....time to reassemble & finish off.

vrujoo.jpg

wrj9kj.jpg

217vjc.jpg

All done

14jrude.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Looking for someone to carry out an av mod to my Famicom, how much does it usually cost?

Mod note: Welcome to the forum and to Boards. If somebody is offering this as a service you can find them in the Services thread at the top of the console modding forum. You can send the user a private message to discuss prices etc. At the top of the forum you can also find the rules thread, where you'll see we don't allow requests like your post so just be mindful in future :)

Advertisement