Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion) - Page 107 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

27-02-2012, 13:30   #1591
Dónal
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednwireland View Post
first cycle in for 2.5 months and its raining
I hope you won't mind if I ask you not to cycle again for the rest of the year.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 13:37   #1592
AstraMonti

Send a message via MSN to AstraMonti
The bike..

http://yfrog.com/mg5laktj

The rider

http://yfrog.com/h21sdvaj
27-02-2012, 13:37   #1593
ednwireland

Mod: Cycling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dónal View Post
I hope you won't mind if I ask you not to cycle again for the rest of the year.
considering where i live i doubt that would make much difference
27-02-2012, 17:46   #1594
furiousox

Last edited by furiousox; 28-02-2012 at 07:55.
27-02-2012, 18:18   #1595
AstraMonti

Send a message via MSN to AstraMonti
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousox View Post
Could've done without seeing that tbh, why post it?
Dont really know, sorry about that. Deleted it now.

Here is something more cheerful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4vST6_clnA
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 23:35   #1596
le petit braquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisRegard View Post
The cancer spreads to Newstalk. You've probably heard the latest survey this morning which finds that 46% or so Dublin cyclists have admitted to breaking the law in some way. Of course their editorial on the lunch time show leads with "Almost half of al cyclists admit to breaking the law". Montague put them right by saying that more than half of cyclist abide by the rotr.
Just listened to this on http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/al...e/listen-back/. Its at about 10.30 in part 2, if anyone else is sad enough. In fairness Conor Faughnan of the AA was quite balanced in most of his replies and pointed out that all road users break laws and ignored the presenter's attempts to turn it into all out cyclist v motorist war. He also claims to cycle commute himself!
27-02-2012, 23:46   #1597
Captain Havoc

Went to clean bicycle and tinker for half and hour, it took me two and a half hours. I didn't know it was possible to tinker for two hours on a bike.
28-02-2012, 00:11   #1598
tomasrojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by le petit braquet View Post
Just listened to this on http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/al...e/listen-back/. Its at about 10.30 in part 2, if anyone else is sad enough. In fairness Conor Faughnan of the AA was quite balanced in most of his replies and pointed out that all road users break laws and ignored the presenter's attempts to turn it into all out cyclist v motorist war. He also claims to cycle commute himself!
I think he does cycle. I heard him mention it a few years ago on the radio; something about parking on the outskirts of town and cycling the rest of the way.
28-02-2012, 01:21   #1599
le petit braquet

Some of you have seen the various "Three Men on a Boat" series with Dara O"Brian etc. These were loosely inspired by a book of the same name by Jerome K Jerome written in 1889 and he also wrote a lesser known sequel "Three Men on a Bummel" about a cycling tour of Germany about 1900. The prose style is a bit elaborate and archaic for modern tastes but there are some comic gems in it which will amuse modern day cyclists. As an example to show there is nothing new under the Sun ...

Then there are saddles,” I went on — I wished to get this lesson home to him. “Can you think of any saddle ever advertised that you have not tried?”
He said: “It has been an idea of mine that the right saddle is to be found.”
I said: “You give up that idea; this is an imperfect world of joy and sorrow mingled. There may be a better land where bicycle saddles are made out of rainbow, stuffed with cloud; in this world the simplest thing is to get used to something hard. There was that saddle you bought in Birmingham; it was divided in the middle, and looked like a pair of kidneys.”
He said: “You mean that one constructed on anatomical principles.”
“Very likely,” I replied.“The box you bought it in had a pic- ture on the cover, representing a sitting skeleton—or rather that part of a skeleton which does sit.”
He said: “It was quite correct; it showed you the true position of the—”
I said: “We will not go into details; the picture always seemed to me indelicate.”
He said: “Medically speaking, it was right.”
“Possibly,” I said, “for a man who rode in nothing but his bones. I only know that I tried it myself, and that to a man who wore flesh it was agony. Every time you went over a stone or a rut it nipped you; it was like riding on an irritable lobster. You rode that for a month.”
“I thought it only right to give it a fair trial,” he answered.
I said: “You gave your family a fair trial also; if you will allow me the use of slang. Your wife told me that never in the whole course of your married life had she known you so bad tempered, so un-Christian like, as you were that month.

As it is out of copyright, its available in lots of places on the web in pdfs or kindle editions, and worth IMHO seeking out just to read chapter 3

Last edited by le petit braquet; 28-02-2012 at 01:24. Reason: corrections!
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 01:34   #1600
tomasrojo

Three Men in a Boat has been dramatised on BBC Radio.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01c6h6q

Haven't heard it yet, but read a bit of the book years ago and also read his Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow. Enjoyable reads.
Thanks from:
28-02-2012, 08:36   #1601
Beasty
Searchin' for segments ....

Free aero positioning and physiological testing worth €1,000 on offer in new study
Bleedin' typical - vets need not apply (not that I would fall into the required A1 racing category anyway)

...guess it may be of interest to some around here though

Last edited by Beasty; 28-02-2012 at 08:46.
28-02-2012, 13:19   #1602
Mycroft H

Cyclist nabbed for speeding in Australia - well deserved imo
28-02-2012, 13:28   #1603
manafana

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX 19 View Post
sounds like one those coppers who will nab anyone, not sure you can be done for speeding in Ireland, seeing as it has no motor or licence.

can hit someone anywhere cycling not just in school area people step out on roads anyway.
28-02-2012, 13:28   #1604
rich.d.berry

Quote:
well deserved imo
Are you serious?

Do bicycles come with calibrated speedometers?

I cannot see that standing up in an appeal court.
28-02-2012, 13:32   #1605
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
"Well deserved" depends on the circumstances IMO. The report states that it was a time when parents and children, "were reasonably likely" to be crossing, but it seems to avoid stating that it was during school hours.

If it was 7am on a Sunday or 10pm on a schoolnight, then "well deserved" might be pushing it. "Unlucky" is what I'd say.

Though in any case it's a silly move on his part. You can't get done over here for breaking the speed limit, but there is a downhill section between Donard and Glenmalure with a big "CAUTION SCHOOL" painted on the road that I'm careful to slow down for. If only for my own sake rather than anything else.
Thread Closed