M20 - Cork to Limerick [planning decision pending; delayed thereafter till c. 2015] - Page 62 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-02-2012, 18:38   #916
Hogzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigtown View Post
I've never been on a 2 + 1 road. What's so wrrong with them?
You also get lane hoggers who overtake the first car and stay in the overtaking lane. This means all traffic gets stuck behind that guy and before you know it the 2 lanes get cut back down to 1 and everyone is in the same boat as before. Stuck behind a Sunday Driver.
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 19:19   #917
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by corktina View Post
The one saving grace is they have cut accidents a lot and saved lives, but of course a 2+2 would have done that also and cost very little extra.
The 2+1 at Piltown on the N24 has had more deaths on it than the old road it replaced has - they're really very unsafe with the traffic levels we thought to try them on.

They're generally used in Scandinavia on extremely low traffic roads over huge distances to provide safe overtaking, here they end up providing rush-zones for overtaking attempts on medium to high traffic roads over short distances.
27-02-2012, 07:14   #918
corktina

thats the problem with the N20 section, the "2" sections are both 1 km long, not long enough. But it has stopped the rear-end accidents which used to be caused when people were turning right.

I wonder were the crash barriers really necessary given the road is no different to a normal road with an overtaking lane, examples of which are on that very road? (Several sections of the crash barrier have been damaged by accidents and MONTHS later are still not repaired)
25-04-2012, 09:34   #919
cjpm

Yet another fatality on the N20 - RIP

A woman in her 20s has died after the car she was driving was in collision with a truck on the Cork to Mallow road this morning.

The incident happened at Rathduff at around 7.45am.

The road remains closed pending a technical examination and motorists are advised to drive with care in the area as road conditions are poor.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/y...#ixzz1t2TCHLkG

Incident happened at the junction next to the Picnic area, about 2 miles south of Rathduff, at about 7:20.

How many more people must die before this road is upgraded? There is blood on the hands of the NRA and the politicians in Cork North Central, Cork East and Limerick.

That road is a disgrace considering the volume of traffic on it. The 2 + 1 barrier section is hardly even maintained. Areas of missing poles with the wire sagging, other areas with bent poles that stick out into the 1m wide hard strip. It sure as hell wouldn't happen in Dublin
(2) thanks from:
25-04-2012, 09:41   #920
Rhys Essien

^^^^Agree 100%.Incompetant fools in charge.
Advertisement
25-04-2012, 10:18   #921
black47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpm View Post
A woman in her 20s has died after the car she was driving was in collision with a truck on the Cork to Mallow road this morning.

The incident happened at Rathduff at around 7.45am.

The road remains closed pending a technical examination and motorists are advised to drive with care in the area as road conditions are poor.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/y...#ixzz1t2TCHLkG

Incident happened at the junction next to the Picnic area, about 2 miles south of Rathduff, at about 7:20.

How many more people must die before this road is upgraded? There is blood on the hands of the NRA and the politicians in Cork North Central, Cork East and Limerick.

That road is a disgrace considering the volume of traffic on it. The 2 + 1 barrier section is hardly even maintained. Areas of missing poles with the wire sagging, other areas with bent poles that stick out into the 1m wide hard strip. It sure as hell wouldn't happen in Dublin
Totally agree with you. The M20 has alway been the poor relation when it comes to quality of national primary routes. No works have taken place since the opening of the Croom bypass in 2001 AFAIK. This is despite a period of major economic growth until 2007.

God bless that poor lady but she won't be the last. The ABP application for the upgrade has been withdrawn so it will be back to square one again when it is re-lodged. I don't know why the route can't be split up into a number of different projects and local bypasses so that something could get moving.

Interesting how the Longford bypass and Ballaghadreen on the N5 to Mayo are in or heading to construction. Enda and Michael Ring feathering their own nest. We also have the Mayo cycling greenway being extended from Westport out to the base of Croagh Patrick while in the meantime people are dying on the roads in other parts of the country. With all due respect better roads should come before cycling paths in my opinion.
Thanks from:
25-04-2012, 10:52   #922
cjpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by black47 View Post
Totally agree with you. The M20 has alway been the poor relation when it comes to quality of national primary routes.
And to think that it links the 2nd and 3rd biggest cities in the Republic.....

When the rest of the orbital routes out of Dublin were being built during the Celtic Tiger they were all sections of about 40km each (on average) e.g Galway to Ballinsloe, Limerick to Nenagh etc etc. There must have been about 20 schemes in total. Cork to Limerick is 80km, that's just 2 schemes!! It could easily have been done too if the local politicians gave a toss.....

I'm really annoyed this morning and a bit shocked too... When I passed the scene of the crash only one ambulance had arrived and the paramedics had taken the girl out of the car and were frantically doing CPR to her in the verge as we all crawled past in our cars.... God bless her soul

The newspapers are saying that the weather conditions were a factor, that's a load of rubbish, there was only a light breeze and the road was damp, it wasn't even raining at the time. A typical morning in Ireland, not exactly an extreme weather event.
25-04-2012, 11:20   #923
Tragedy

Send a message via Yahoo to Tragedy
Quote:

Which is why Dublin's roads are so bad? Which is why even the main roads in the city centre and suburbs were pockmarked and potholed to hell up until the Government finally put through some emergency funding to patch up some of the busiest roads in the country last Winter?

Which is why the N81(sections of which would be as busy as Blarney - Cork on the N20) is on the longest of long fingers, and is also a very dangerous road?

Perhaps you should look up the AADT of the road improvements/new orbital routes around Dublin and compare them with the N20 before playing the "Wah wah, Dublin gets all the good stuff" card.

Last edited by Tragedy; 25-04-2012 at 11:23.
Thanks from:
25-04-2012, 11:38   #924
invinciblePRSTV
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
Quote:

Which is why Dublin's roads are so bad? Which is why even the main roads in the city centre and suburbs were pockmarked and potholed to hell up until the Government finally put through some emergency funding to patch up some of the busiest roads in the country last Winter?

Which is why the N81(sections of which would be as busy as Blarney - Cork on the N20) is on the longest of long fingers, and is also a very dangerous road?

Perhaps you should look up the AADT of the road improvements/new orbital routes around Dublin and compare them with the N20 before playing the "Wah wah, Dublin gets all the good stuff" card.
All your whine's - poorly maintained urban roads, high AADT road improvements being long fingered etc. - Are as applicable to the Cork metropolitan area as they are to the GDA.
Advertisement
25-04-2012, 11:39   #925
Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by invinciblePRSTV View Post
All your whine's - poorly maintained urban roads, high AADT road improvements being long fingered etc. - Are as applicable to the Cork metropolitan area as they are to the GDA.
Where did I whine? I see someone complaining that Dublin gets it all and Cork gets nothing and pointed out the factual inaccuracies in his post(i.e. almost everything).

Apology please?
25-04-2012, 11:43   #926
cjpm

Quote:

I never said that all the roads in Dublin are great and I am well aware of the state of the N81. And I think you'll find that Irish roads in general are slowly becoming one big pot hole as the maintenance funds dry up.

I was highlighting in particular the maintence (or lack there of) on the 2+1 section of the N20, a pilot scheme for a retrofit for the country and now has been forgotton about. I was driving past steel barrier poles, bent almost into the overtaking lane for weeks on end...( a very serious hazard) they were finally removed about a month ago.... and you've guessed it, no new poles and the wire is sagging almost on the ground!!

Last edited by cjpm; 25-04-2012 at 11:49.
25-04-2012, 11:44   #927
invinciblePRSTV
Closed Account

Quote:
Quote:
Where did I whine? I see someone complaining that Dublin gets it all and Cork gets nothing and pointed out the factual inaccuracies in his post(i.e. almost everything).

Apology please?
Both you and the poster you replied to are whining in my book. They 'blamed Dublin', you cited how awful roads are in Dublin and how they're 'ignored', as if this is only applicable to one urban area. Which obviously isn't the case.

So there'll be no apologies offered.
25-04-2012, 11:47   #928
cjpm

Quote:

Apology please?

Please multi quote my 3 posts and bold the factual inaccuracies. Thanks in advance.
25-04-2012, 11:54   #929
Tragedy

Quote:
Both you and the poster you replied to are whining in my book. They 'blamed Dublin', you cited how awful roads are in Dublin and how they're 'ignored', as if this is only applicable to one urban area. Which obviously isn't the case.

I equated the road he listed (N20) with the N81. I also stated that the roads in Dublin City itself are in generally not great repair, and the main routes around the city only received funding for emergency repairs last Winter - after he pretty clearly implied that Dublin gets priority for road funding.
What about this is whining exactly? All I see is someone wanting to not admit they were wrong. Quelle surprise!
25-04-2012, 12:09   #930
invinciblePRSTV
Closed Account

Quote:
Quote:

I equated the road he listed (N20) with the N81. I also stated that the roads in Dublin City itself are in generally not great repair, and the main routes around the city only received funding for emergency repairs last Winter - after he pretty clearly implied that Dublin gets priority for road funding.
What about this is whining exactly? All I see is someone wanting to not admit they were wrong. Quelle surprise!
So we're agreed then. You met one posters whine with a whine of your own.

Glad we got this sorted.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion