Is it Now? - Page 94 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-02-2012, 00:27   #1396
Dory Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by donothoponpop View Post
I can't go to Hawaii without Oakleys! Deal's off, you've just saved Dory a small fortune.
)
Lucky for you the deal's off....I was planning on keeping the t-shirt if it was Hawaii.
Advertisement
24-02-2012, 17:41   #1397
donothoponpop
Closed Account

Fri 22k bike

My nose is like a tap, and I'm pretty chesty, as this cold refuses to budge. One of the kids has Chinenpox too, so there's a battle between humans and virus at my gaf. It didn't stop me going out for a spin to embrace a beautiful start of Spring evening, birds singing, the first blossoms out, all snot rockets on target: divine.

I'm in a quandry on what to do as regards running. My knee feels stronger than it has in ages, so much so that I've realised just how much I've been compensating for its pain when I run. Fitness wise, I feel great, the swims and bikes are working the muscles and cardiovascular areas, that base training should. I've no goal races in the next few weeks, so I'm considering continuing to stay off the knee for another week, to give it a real chance to heal. We'll see, trail running is great around here in early Spring.
24-02-2012, 22:39   #1398
shotgunmcos

I'd take a runny nose over this blasted cough.

Dude 4.1k swim, thats just sick. Well done all the same. I predict some plain old envy as you apply some old speed to that kind of swim.

Good to see you are enjoying the bike too. Variety is the spice of life

Get well soon
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 17:47   #1399
donothoponpop
Closed Account

Sun 49k bike

Well, the cold has mutated to a hacking cough. The only good thing is I know its near an end, and in some ways surviving a good dose makes you stronger. It certainly makes you appreciate good health, anyway.

Today's was good long spin on hilly backroads, where I got to make full use of my three cranks. Up around Mullinacuff, through to Clonmore, Milltown, Coolkenno, Clonmore, Mullinacuff, Tinahely, and home. Only a local would know half those names!

Almost home, and I came upon a herd of cattle on the road, cars stopped, etc. No sign of anyone driving them (the cattle that is). One cow started coming for me, so I slowed right down, went to put my foot down to stop, realized I was clipped in...feck! I started to keel over, and was about to accept my first ever fall, when my foot just shot out in time and steadied me. The cow took shock at this, turned around, and running back the way he came. Of course, this caused panic among the rest, so a general stampede occurred, with cows running around the cars in all directions, some of them fighting their way through the briars and over hedges into the fields...mayhem. I walked the bike along the road (no point in staying put, there was cattle on all sides), until I saw one very disgruntled farmer standing by a gate. Whatever about crossing the road with a herd (which has to be done sometimes), to let over a hundred cattle make their own way along 300m of roads is a bit much.
(3) thanks from:
26-02-2012, 19:48   #1400
Dory Dory

And I'm sure it didn't help the farmer's mood any that the cause of the stampede was wearing Lycra.
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 19:52   #1401
donothoponpop
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory Dory View Post
And I'm sure it didn't help the farmer's mood any that the cause of the stampede was wearing Lycra.
Dayglo lycra. I gave him a loud and cheery "howsitgoin'" as I passed, but he wouldn't even look at me. From the look on his face, he was too busy sucking wasps.
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 19:59   #1402
Abhainn

Quote:
Whatever about crossing the road with a herd (which has to be done sometimes), to let over a hundred cattle make their own way along 300m of roads is a bit much.
Ah comon now pop. Where I'm from the farmers let the cows and cattle out this time of year to eat down the plenty juicy grass on the road sides.
You farmer basher
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 20:08   #1403
donothoponpop
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhainn View Post
Ah comon now pop. Where I'm from the farmers let the cows and cattle out this time of year to eat down the plenty juicy grass on the road sides.
You farmer basher
"I say, you there in the huge Massey Ferguson, take down that fence on your land at once! The public have a right to roam, do you hear me, a RIGHT TO ROAM! I'll set the authorities on you!"

Day one when I moved down here, with an American accent. It's been downhill ever since
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 20:10   #1404
Dory Dory

Dayglo Lycra? And I'm guessing you wear it unapologetically.
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 15:28   #1405
donothoponpop
Closed Account

Mon 27th Feb 5000m swim

I had a good morning at work, so "celebrated" by taking a long lunch in the pool. The cough is still here, but didn't seem to bother me. First 2k went by easy enough, I got into a good rhythm. Kept it up until 3k, in about an hour.

I realized that my kick isn't all it could be; I'm kicking from the knees, and that's very inefficient, so I tried moving my calfs, and getting the power from them. Phenomenal, there was an instant difference in speed. I did about 500m working on this, before doing a set of 1 length slow, 1 length kick and pull hard. I'm going to have to work more on this technique, but there's a huge amount of extra force to be utilized. For someone bred on running, I should be getting more bang from my legs than I have been.

Did a few sets of slow Breast stroke, fast pull, that went well. Continued on to go past my previous 4.1k distance record, thought briefly about Yelena Isinbayeva, but kept going to 4.25k, then 4.5k. By this stage I was getting a few cramps etc., but had a quick stretch, and made up the 5k, in about 1:50 total time. No real rest, but "steady as she goes" meant none were needed. I'm going to start a bit more dedicated pool intervals from now.
(2) thanks from:
27-02-2012, 15:36   #1406
Dory Dory

You're giving me a run for my money, dayglo boy.
27-02-2012, 15:39   #1407
donothoponpop
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory Dory View Post
You're giving me a run for my money, dayglo boy.
Have to admit, I wasn't just thinking about Yelena Isinbayeva. You keep upping the stakes
Thanks from:
27-02-2012, 15:41   #1408
Dory Dory

Quote:
Have to admit, I wasn't just thinking about Yelena Isinbayeva. You keep upping the stakes
Ahhh...and you make an appearance on my private island as well. I can do the conversions...you aren't that much behind me. I guess we'll just see how far we can take this.

Last edited by Dory Dory; 27-02-2012 at 16:08. Reason: spelling
Thanks from:
27-02-2012, 19:02   #1409
donothoponpop
Closed Account

Mon pm 7k steady run

First run in a fortnight, and a good test for the knee. This started out quick, and stayed quick- I couldn't hold back after two weeks on the dry, no sirree. The route was along the flat and forgiving surface of the Railway Walk, where all gravel has been swallowed by firm mud and grass, a treat to run on. The legs and knee felt good, no issues at all in fact, although I'm expecting to get pain later. In fact, I expect to just have to deal with knee pain from here on in, until the pain-free slumber of the grave. But for the moment, I'm reveling in a-bit-of-pain-but-alivedness. I'll keep up the running this week, allied with swims and bikes, and will hopefully start into a structured 10k program next week.
(2) thanks from:
27-02-2012, 20:24   #1410
Slogger Jogger

Judging by your swimming prowess you must be tempted to move to the moniker manfromatlantis, but that it was already taken. Most people can't run further than you can swim now! Bravo.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion