Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-02-2012, 13:44   #1
looksee

Have you ever had a real 'wow' moment

If you are not sure, you haven't! And it doesn't have to be something that necessarily made sense in a logical way.

Mine was a few years ago when I had the opportunity to hold and examine an original of a rare print book which I had been researching. The effect was astonishing, beautiful sunsets, glorious works of art, no comparison. I still have no idea why I found it so amazing, in retrospect it seems quite out of proportion but it is something that really made an impression on me.

yes I know, book...impression...sorry!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-02-2012, 16:58   #2
Micky Dolenz
Cat Mod

I once saw 4 dolphins surf a wave and then they jumped out of it. It was like something you'd see in blue planet. Never thought I'd be lucky enough to see if in real life.
25-02-2012, 22:04   #3
ImpossibleDuck

I remember as a kid a cousin of mine took me and his friend to this really secluded spot in the middle of a forest. We had no idea why we were there. He took us up this little creek and at the end was a waterfall. He told us to wait here. He came back about 10 minutes later and dropped two wetsuits at our feet; He already had his on. We just kind of looked at him in confusion before he took off running and jumped off the edge of this waterfall into a big lake below. I remember just looking down at him and was completely mesmerised by both my surroundings and the fact that he had just jumped off a ****ing waterfall!

This is a little hard to explain, but it wasnt just a lake. The lake was x feet below us but was surrounded on all sides by cliffs as high as the waterfall.

I'm not sure if you're getting the idea but it was just like a huge hole in the ground. Like a big cylinder had been cut out of the ground and water was put into it. There were trees all around the cliffs.

It was just such a fantastic experience.
25-02-2012, 23:09   #4
looksee

Did you jump? And more to the point, how did you get out again?
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 00:21   #5
jaqian

I was in the national gallery today and was blown away by a Picasso (Still life with a mandolin). it was just so accessible.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 12:54   #6
imme

Have had a few wow moments while travelling.

In Reykjavik I turned a corner and saw the snow covered sheer mountain across the bay and all I could say was 'wow'.

In Ecuador I turned a corner in Banos and saw a volcano issuing forth. All I could say was 'wow'.

There've been many more, they're usually at times I see things that I didn't know were there and had never heard of.
05-03-2012, 10:00   #7
puddles22

i live in donegal and love takin photos, when the weather is good here i take myself off usually round the coast , and even though i may have seen it hundreds of times before i still get that wow factor at the beauty of it :
)
Thanks from:
30-03-2012, 02:24   #8
gamgsam

I worked in a lab for the summer studying brain development in frogs.

As part of the study I had to fertilise frog eggs weekly then record development with photographs and descriptions of abnormalities.

Seeing the processes of early blastulation, gastrulation and neurulation happen in front of my eyes was the most humbling experience in my life so far.

Also, hands get me all the time. I'll just sit there and stare in wonder at my hand thinking how briliant it is as a biological tool. Another wow moment happened when after explaining evolution to my girlfriend for ages, we went to the natural history museum and it all clicked for her. She could see the similarities in skeletons of different species and just all of a sudden cracked a hug 'aha!' smile. That was f*cking cool if you'll pardon the language.
(4) thanks from:
01-05-2012, 14:07   #9
rabb_lbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamgsam View Post
As part of the study I had to fertilise frog eggs weekly.
Kermit is that you?

I once witnessed lightning strike a tree within 100ft of a group of us that was a real WOW monent.
We were at a wedding which took place on the grounds of a castle. We went outside to stroll the grounds. It began to rain so we took shelter inter a wooden canopy at the side of the castle.
In fron of was an open grass area with a few large trees and a river on the other side really beautiful.
All of a sudden there was a brilliant flash of white light, sparks, a momentary hissing noise (from moisture in the tree instantly vapourising).
Next thing half the tree was scattered around the grass underneath itself.
The silence is what really got me. for such an enormous amount of energy to strike silently WOW.
Of course then there was a clap of thunder afterwards.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-05-2012, 11:49   #10
ImpossibleDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
Did you jump? And more to the point, how did you get out again?
Yes I did! I somehow forgot to mention that part

It led out to a little river on the other side. About 90% of it was cliff walls then just a little passageway downstream.
03-05-2012, 12:52   #11
Lionel Messy
Banned

Going to Anfield for the first time in '96. Looking out at the stadium blew me away. It was in absolute pristine condition, the red of the seats and the green of the grass.

You can't describe the feeling going there for the first time.
(2) thanks from:
04-07-2012, 22:58   #12
Brussels Sprout

Emerging from the Homer tunnel on the way to Milford Sound in the South Island of New Zealand. The tunnel runs for over a kilometre right through a mountain in the Southern Alps and then you come out onto a road with towering mountains creating two walls on either side. As you drive along the valley dwarfed by these ranges you can look up and see hundreds of little waterfalls dropping out of the sky on either side. I remember thinking that I was after coming through the tunnel and out into another geological era. If a pterodactyl had flown by it would have seemed normal.
(2) thanks from:
09-07-2012, 19:11   #13
Sindri
Closed Account

Driving back from the funeral of a relative all the way back I got this really earthy fresh smell from the countryside that was really exhilarating and extremely intense. It smelt ancient and nutritious.

Also while on a flight from Germany back to Ireland; the plane after taking off ascended above a huge blanket of cloud that stretched for miles underneath us and was completely level like a meadow and above it there was a huge red moon that looked like it was perched just off the wing of the plane.
(2) thanks from:
02-10-2012, 15:33   #14
angelman121

The WOW feelings is just showing you the real you beneath the human, we don't catch feeling's good ones or bad ones from outside of ourselves, the outside only serves to show us the diversity of feeling's we are capable of producing or creating within ourselves, we have choice and the ability to learn from our experiences to be able to decide what feeling's we want to keep experiencing. I have WOW moments every day.
Happy Every Day !
16-12-2012, 04:26   #15
NIMAN

The birth of my 1st child.

Never felt emotion like that before. Amazing.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion