Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-02-2012, 20:59   #151
Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogzy View Post
WHy does there HAVE to be access to Glaunthaune from the junction anyway. Surely the Glaunthaune traffic could use the Dunkettle roundabout aswell as that road that "used to be a road".
How would they get to the roundabout? Are you suggesting the slip road that goes from the west (Cork) to the north (Dublin) be two-way? That would be a barrel of fun - not.

How would traffic get from the M8 to Little Island?
Advertisement
25-02-2012, 21:13   #152
Hogzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
How would they get to the roundabout? Are you suggesting the slip road that goes from the west (Cork) to the north (Dublin) be two-way? That would be a barrel of fun - not.

How would traffic get from the M8 to Little Island?
Give me a few mins to draft a map.
25-02-2012, 21:33   #153
Hogzy

Iv come across a problem. What to do with the Glounthaune traffic. You probably couldnt send it to Dunkettle without having a bridge that runs parallel to the N8 between Sarsfield and Dunkettle. Here it is anyway (excluding glaunthaune Traffic)

How much traffic uses that offslip to Glaunthaune?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alternative.jpg (319.1 KB, 541 views)
28-02-2012, 10:39   #154
hans aus dtschl

Hogzy,
There's a large industrial estate serviced by that slip road including all of Iarnród Eireann's freight depot. Also, a significant amount of the Glanmire and Glounthaune population use it. But realistically the freight depot is the biggest user of this. The image you drew even shows a little of it.
28-02-2012, 12:13   #155
Hogzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans aus dtschl View Post
Hogzy,
There's a large industrial estate serviced by that slip road including all of Iarnród Eireann's freight depot. Also, a significant amount of the Glanmire and Glounthaune population use it. But realistically the freight depot is the biggest user of this. The image you drew even shows a little of it.
Yeah but there is another exit they could use further up the N25 (the second exit for Little Island). They can just use that exit. Its not as if thousands and thousand of cars need it anyway. IMO getting rid of the Glounthaune Slip is justified to ensure a free flow M8 to Cork City Center route.

Glaunthaune traffic can be rerouted to the Little Island exit on the N25 (which can be widened if needs be). The N25 is already 3 lanes as far as that junction anyway so it could cope with the extra traffic.
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 17:16   #156
hans aus dtschl

I don't disagree that the slip could be gotten rid of if the Little Island junction was improved. However, the Little Island junction has not got a lot of extra room on either side and backs up considerably at peak times as it is, on the "old" road and within Little Island.

In terms of comparison with the other roads concerned, it certainly is the least significant, but I think you really need to see the numbers before you can say the Little Island junction could survive the extra traffic. IMO it wouldn't.

But look, my point over all others, the proposed dumbell interchange east of the dunkettle interchange is inadequate for intercity traffic.
29-02-2012, 23:33   #157
Irish and Proud
Closed Account

Hi folks,

There's now a brochure (PDF File - 1618KB) by Jacobs on the preferred option.

Regards!
(2) thanks from:
01-03-2012, 10:05   #158
mydiscworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish and Proud View Post
Hi folks,

There's now a brochure (PDF File - 1618KB) by Jacobs on the preferred option.

Regards!
Great to see this progressing but doubt funding will be in place to pay for the CPOs.
01-03-2012, 13:46   #159
spacetweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydiscworld View Post
Great to see this progressing but doubt funding will be in place to pay for the CPOs.
Do you really think it would be that dear? We just need money for the land.
I agree though, Varadkar's the Minister for Not Building Transport so he seems determined to do as little as possible.
Advertisement
02-03-2012, 00:52   #160
MYOB

I would prefer that version of the scheme NOT to progress.
02-03-2012, 01:02   #161
charlemont
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOB View Post
I would prefer that version of the scheme NOT to progress.
True because in several years they will have to work on it again !!
02-03-2012, 17:49   #162
KCAccidental

If this option was to be built, I'm guessing they would signpost the route to the city centre on the M8 via the N25 South Ring and N28 South Link instead of the old way via Tivoli.

It could be argued that they are future-proofing and I can see their point with the new North Ring Road to take traffic away from the interchange and the Port being moved to Ringaskiddy there would be little need for the majority of traffic to have to take the old N8 road. The problem with this is that while it would save money, it will cause problems in the short term and let's be honest the way the country is now we might not get the North Ring rd and new Port until a decade after this is built
Thanks from:
02-03-2012, 18:32   #163
Jehuty42
Closed Account

IE's freight depot, North Esk, has been disconnected from the line for a couple of years now, it's closed, so I wouldn't worry about traffic going there.
Thanks from:
06-03-2012, 15:37   #164
Blitzkrieger

I think munchkin and others have made excellent points about the M8 - Cork City traffic clashing with traffic into Little Island. I mean, obviously there's been a lot of work put into the plans by experienced people, and we don't know what the current and predicted traffic volumes on those routes are, but from observation and from experience I can't believe that the (aptly named?) dumb bell junction will be anything but an impediment to traffic and probably downright dangerous.

Does anyone know of an official petition against the current design? When is it supposed to be going for planning approval?

I think the design has to be modified to make traffic into Little Island and from the M8 to Cork City free flow. What I think we need is bollards! Lots and lots of bollards. I've gotten the crayolas out again, but this modification is fairly counter-intuitive so bear with me....

[edit] I've thought about it and think I can make it simpler - new drawings in new post. [/edit]
Attached Images
File Type: bmp modification.bmp (718.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: bmp modification1.bmp (718.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Blitzkrieger; 08-03-2012 at 11:00. Reason: Changed drawings
06-03-2012, 17:47   #165
Chris_5339762

The problem with Dunkettle is the Little Island junction. So lets close it, move it and split it. That allows you to FULLY Grade Separate Dunkettle and improve capacity at Little Island. Glounthaune gets a hybrid style half junction. Put these midway between Cobh and the current Little Island junction. Avoids a lot of weaving.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dunkettle3.jpg (218.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg dunkettle4.jpg (149.9 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by Chris_5339762; 06-03-2012 at 17:50.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion