Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0 - Page 268 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

24-02-2012, 20:31   #4006
Einhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Angstrom View Post
I wouldn't necessarily brand them as fraudsters or scroungers. Some of those 30,000 may have had literacy issues or mental health problems, such as anxiety or depression. There's a direct correlation between long-term unemployment and lack of education. I wouldn't be quick to label anybody without knowing their personal circumstances first.
I'm not labeling them all. Indeed, not even the majority. But, as you stated, there were 30k people on the dole at a time of full employment, when employers were screaming out for people. I know some people who are long term unemployed, and for some of them it's a lifestyle choice.

I just don't see what's wrong with targeting those who are gaming the system. If someone is legitimately collecting SW, they have absolutely nothing to hide.
Advertisement
25-02-2012, 00:37   #4007
Harry Angstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhard View Post
I'm not labeling them all. Indeed, not even the majority. But, as you stated, there were 30k people on the dole at a time of full employment, when employers were screaming out for people. I know some people who are long term unemployed, and for some of them it's a lifestyle choice.

I just don't see what's wrong with targeting those who are gaming the system. If someone is legitimately collecting SW, they have absolutely nothing to hide.
During the "boom", I took part in a voluntary programme to help the longterm unemployed. Most of the people I met would have loved to be working but a lot of them had very poor literacy skills. A lot of them had low self-esteem issues as well and would not have fared well in a job-interview situation. Considering we had a huge workforce at the time, to have 30,000 long-term unemployed is a very low number in relative terms.

A few months ago, Joan Burton made a very sweeping statement about the dole being a lifestyle choice, which I found to be nonsensical and very offensive. The fact that there were only 30,000 longterm unemployed (many of whom had legitimate reasons for finding themselves in such an unfortunate situation) during the boom is proof that the dole is not a lifestyle choice for the vast majority of people who currently find themselves unemployed. Sure, you'll always find one or two people who are workshy but that's the case in practically every country and is in no way representative of the overwhelming majority. It seems to me that Labour are taking the 'divide and conquer' route when it comes to social welfare. Far better to have neighbour pitted against neighbour, instead of us being concerned about how the bankers, developers and politicians of this country brought us to our knees in the first place.

And yes, of course, if somebody is gaming the system they deserve to be targeted, but those people who are legitimately collecting social welfare should not be made to feel that they are scamming the system or that they have made a "lifestyle choice" for themselves.
25-02-2012, 12:07   #4008
Skid
Closed Account

In other news, Cassie Stokes left TV3 yesterday and is emigrating. So no more of her unique insights into NAMA
25-02-2012, 14:55   #4009
artful_codger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Angstrom View Post
A lot of them had low self-esteem issues
and do you think that giving them 180 euros a week to sit at home (not including the myriad of other benefits they get) is going to improve their self esteem? If we reformed our system so these people have to go out and do community work it might improve their skills.
25-02-2012, 16:03   #4010
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by artful_codger View Post
and do you think that giving them 180 euros a week to sit at home (not including the myriad of other benefits they get) is going to improve their self esteem? If we reformed our system so these people have to go out and do community work it might improve their skills.
Depends on what you call Long Term unemployed. There are a huge number of people who are just not employable. Many of these are the long-term unemployed of the Celtic Tiger years. Did we effectively help these people get out of their cycle probably not. However the currently long term unemployed just don't have jobs to go to.

The amount of money and perceived benefits that they get won't help them, but neither will taking such money away from them.

You know we should focus on those that have well very paid jobs and who do very little.
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 23:06   #4011
dublinman1990

Tonight's programme is on the euro crisis. Is anyone watching?
27-02-2012, 23:07   #4012
take everything

Constantin, Peter Matthews, Laura Noonan and Michael Taft on tonight.
Jobs and Euro crisis.
27-02-2012, 23:09   #4013
dublinman1990

I hope now that someone's P60 doesnt come back as a error!
27-02-2012, 23:12   #4014
take everything

Interesting piece by Matthews in the Sindo yesterday about not paying back a significant part of the debt.
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 23:13   #4015
hotmail.com

Just switched on, I wonder will Vincent give Matthews a hard time about the rosary beeds! I just can't take him seriously after I heard about that.
27-02-2012, 23:19   #4016
Oscar Bravo

Nice pop at Vincent's haircut!!
27-02-2012, 23:20   #4017
take everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Bravo View Post
Nice pop at Vincent's haircut!!
Vincent quick off the mark saying he got it from NAMA
27-02-2012, 23:22   #4018
JonathanAnon
Closed Account

The IDA throw a load of concessions at these companies that they would NOT give to an indigenous company.. They give themselves a big pat on the back, and in a couple of years time when those companies p1ss off to Poland or China, the IDA are nowhere to be seen. Same as Dell, Gateway etc etc.
27-02-2012, 23:24   #4019
constitutionus

i love when constantines on.

always worth listening to, and mathews on to boot.

least this shouldnt be a borefest.

and oh look, lauras on for the comedy value !

27-02-2012, 23:25   #4020
JonathanAnon
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by constitutionus View Post
and oh look, lauras on for the comedy value !
She's got that blouse draped across her front very provocatively.. I'd say Father O'Malley is ringing TV3 at the moment to complain.
Thread Closed