Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
24-02-2012, 10:55   #1
dillo2k10
Registered User
 
dillo2k10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,325
Rag / Charity Week - When?

When is Charity week on this year?
dillo2k10 is offline  
Advertisement
24-02-2012, 11:56   #2
OneOfTheseDays
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 28
It seems the pubs and clubs have decided it's going to be the 5th to the 9th of March (https://www.facebook.com/events/300630453330096/).

Charity not even getting a look in it seems...
OneOfTheseDays is offline  
24-02-2012, 15:00   #3
Jimmy Iovine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,808
Well the pubs/clubs aren't going to miss out on a week like this. Plus it's usually the 6th week of term from memory so they were just latching onto that.

Has anything been announced by the SU?

I was talking to some first years during the week and they are under the impression that the link above is official. Surely the SU are going to distance themselves from it.

Anyway there is a Mystery Bus tour going on that week. After last years complete and utter shambles I'd recommend everyone staying as far away as possible from it unless you want to end up staying in Waterford/Carlow for the night while your bus deserts you.
Jimmy Iovine is offline  
24-02-2012, 15:36   #4
Alt_Grrr
Registered User
 
Alt_Grrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: somewhere...
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Iovine View Post
Well the pubs/clubs aren't going to miss out on a week like this. Plus it's usually the 6th week of term from memory so they were just latching onto that.

Has anything been announced by the SU?
I think the last proper RAG week was in 2009.
Since then the SU has tried other things to put the focus back onto charitable giving, rather then giving to local pubs
Alt_Grrr is offline  
24-02-2012, 15:49   #5
Jimmy Iovine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt_Grrr View Post
I think the last proper RAG week was in 2009.
Since then the SU has tried other things to put the focus back onto charitable giving, rather then giving to local pubs
I wasn't saying that the SU were trying to give to the local pubs. I meant that from the pubs pov they were not going to miss out on a business opportunity like this.

I was in 1st year in '09 and the RAG week was decent. What followed was a bit of a shambles though. After the first year of the Gathering they should have scrapped it.

The way it has gone all over the country I don't think the traditional notion of RAG week will ever make a comeback. Still I think the SU should announce a few gigs around the campus to try and raise a bit of money at least. Better than sitting back and seeing Mantra/The Roost/Brady's get all the money.
Jimmy Iovine is offline  
Advertisement
24-02-2012, 16:41   #6
Seren_
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,728
Don't know if there's much that can be done now for a campus RAG week at this stage (although it's been banned by the university so it'd have to be called something different ). It was mentioned at the last clubs and socs council, and we were encouraged to set up events for charity and stuff during that week but I haven't heard of anything being done yet.

No Gathering anyway this year, so that's something
Seren_ is offline  
24-02-2012, 20:33   #7
Eric Cartman
Registered User
 
Eric Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kildare
Posts: 10,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt_Grrr View Post
I think the last proper RAG week was in 2009.
Since then the SU has tried other things to put the focus back onto charitable giving, rather then giving to local pubs
rag week 2008 was a good year, since then its all fallen apart.
Eric Cartman is offline  
(2) thanks from:
24-02-2012, 20:44   #8
Seren_
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
rag week 2008 was a good year, since then its all fallen apart.
Actual truth. Back when Dunnes was open 24 hours and everyone would head there after a night out, O'Neills was good and Mantra didn't exist. Them's were the days ;_____;

Edit: Actually had O'Neills opened at that stage? I just remember going there a lot towards the end of first year, but maybe it hadn't opened by rag week.

People used to go to the SU back then too

Last edited by Seren_; 24-02-2012 at 20:48.
Seren_ is offline  
Thanks from:
24-02-2012, 21:29   #9
Eric Cartman
Registered User
 
Eric Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kildare
Posts: 10,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Text Here View Post
Actual truth. Back when Dunnes was open 24 hours and everyone would head there after a night out, O'Neills was good and Mantra didn't exist. Them's were the days ;_____;

Edit: Actually had O'Neills opened at that stage? I just remember going there a lot towards the end of first year, but maybe it hadn't opened by rag week.

People used to go to the SU back then too
i dont think so, the LA was still open and raiding what was left of dunnes hot counter after the 2.30am closing time of the roost was the done thing. used to be able to walk around village and you had to choose which of the many house parties youd go to. students just cant party as hard as they used to anymore
Eric Cartman is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 10:02   #10
Alt_Grrr
Registered User
 
Alt_Grrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: somewhere...
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Iovine View Post
I wasn't saying that the SU were trying to give to the local pubs. I meant that from the pubs pov they were not going to miss out on a business opportunity like this.
...
Still I think the SU should announce a few gigs around the campus to try and raise a bit of money at least. Better than sitting back and seeing Mantra/The Roost/Brady's get all the money.
The problem as I see it that RAG week was entirely hijacked by the pubs and clubs.

I did the ole bucket shaking for rag week back in the day and honestly I had half cut idiots coming up to me and putting their arm around me in a drunken friendly manner, assuring me that I had gotten RAG week all wrong and that it was all about going mental and "getting off yer face".

A few charity gigs/events in the SU would be nice, (I remember a charity casino night being one of the best events I ever went to in the union), but its hard to get people to go to the union even when you have good acts on, but the magnetic pull of main street is too strong most nights.
Alt_Grrr is offline  
27-02-2012, 15:37   #11
westdub15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 57
How exactly can the Gardai stop the SU from holding an event? its still going ahead this year the only difference is that there will be no benefit to charity
westdub15 is offline  
27-02-2012, 16:40   #12
Alt_Grrr
Registered User
 
Alt_Grrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: somewhere...
Posts: 621
The university put a stop to it, after Galway's RAG week got out of hand resulting in multiple arrests and broken windows on the first night.
Most other places followed suit.

also due to the bars licence the SU needs to apply for later opening hours (hence them being called "Bar Extensions") and this can be stopped by the objection of, you guessed it, the guards.
Alt_Grrr is offline  
28-02-2012, 19:33   #13
Madworld
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt_Grrr View Post
The university put a stop to it, after Galway's RAG week got out of hand resulting in multiple arrests and broken windows on the first night.
Most other places followed suit.

also due to the bars licence the SU needs to apply for later opening hours (hence them being called "Bar Extensions") and this can be stopped by the objection of, you guessed it, the guards.
Most colleges stopped it? Name one other college that actually stopped it after Galways apart from us. And at least the NUIG SU got something out of it.

And there is no real need for a bar ex anyway. It could be like Christmas Day where everyone just heads down the town afterwards.
Madworld is offline  
28-02-2012, 20:36   #14
Jimmy Iovine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madworld View Post
And there is no real need for a bar ex anyway. It could be like Christmas Day where everyone just heads down the town afterwards.
That would do more to encourage all day drinking though. I'm sure that's what the guards and the college want to cut out.

Wild guess but I reckon 80% of the student body wouldn't be able to last past 7/8 o'clock if they started drinking early in the day. You'd have people pouring out of the SU early in the evening and stumbling home or heading down to Dunnes for a bite to eat.

P.S. I'm not trying to be a dry ****e. I'm being realistic here. I know that if I headed into the SU, as I have, at 2 pm I'd be in bits by 7/8 with the special offers and all that. On a normal day I wouldn't bother heading down to the off licence till that time.
Jimmy Iovine is offline  
Thanks from:
28-02-2012, 23:00   #15
Effluo
Registered User
 
Effluo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Iovine View Post
Wild guess but I reckon 80% of the student body wouldn't be able to last past 7/8 o'clock if they started drinking early in the day.
We call those people quitters!!!


I agree with the sentiment already displayed in this thread, it's futile to try and stop the drinking so the SU might aswell try make use of the charity aspect of it. Oh well
Effluo is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet