Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-02-2012, 17:52   #76
philstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
Hippies are just smellier travelers who dont know theyre uneducated retards
not the ones i know...highly educated, well travelled, sophisticated and friendly

but smelly
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-02-2012, 17:55   #77
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
Hippies are just smellier travelers who dont know theyre uneducated retards
not the ones i know...highly educated, well travelled, sophisticated and friendly
[SIZE="1"]
but smelly[/SIZE]
Thos are hipsters , sort of like hippies but with arts degrees and daddys money
22-02-2012, 18:08   #78
Nodin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedNNettles View Post
Charles Manson was a hippy, be careful out there.
No fear. Eric is still on winter curfew and has to be in by 6.
22-02-2012, 18:20   #79
retalivity

used to be a few scattered in remote places in the mountains of NW donegal.
I always found it funny that a lot of them lived side-by-side with ra bigwigs and safehouses
Thanks from:
22-02-2012, 18:21   #80
Shane St.

Occupy Galway??
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-02-2012, 05:44   #81
Jimmy Garlic

There is an organic collage in Dromcolligher Co Limerick that draws a fair amount of Hippies and Green Party types (D4 Hippies). I picked up one that was hitchhiking once and she proceeded to give me a lecture about the evils of car air fresheners. I don't mind genuine hippies, the D4 eco warrior/green party/art student types get on my nerves, they tend to be self righteous wankers of the highest order.
23-02-2012, 07:03   #82
pragmatic1

Hippies are sound wish we had more in this country.
(3) thanks from:
23-02-2012, 13:27   #83
Pupito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora2 View Post
Yup, knew a lot of them....later came the Silver Sisters who offered a back to your childhood schooling experience, My mum dressed up in a pinafore and Mop Cap to make a documentary about them. Her and six or seven other bored females!! I was in the UK at the time....they were looper's but I would love to see that documentary again, BBC I think....Me Ma had a wicked sense of humour (and a fair few sherries) and really got into the whole thing skipping and reciting her times tables....one of my brother's swore he would disown her, but she went ahead and did it anyway!!! He caved God I miss her
Would really love to see that documentary. Was it BBC NI? Seems like the Silver Sisters were into gaming too, after a fashion.

http://www.sincuser.f9.co.uk/045/bschool.htm
23-02-2012, 15:36   #84
Pandora2
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupito View Post
Would really love to see that documentary. Was it BBC NI? Seems like the Silver Sisters were into gaming too, after a fashion.

http://www.sincuser.f9.co.uk/045/bschool.htm
Aaaw Pupito.....that makes them sound as if there was something a bit suspect going on If there was it was amongst themselves, the BBC crew arrived and they had no 'students' so the crew went into Burtonport and asked a few of the locals would they do it for the Craic, a good meal and a few scoops.............it was the '80's everyone was broke and my Mother was wickedly humorous and so got together about 8 or so women and girls to do it...........we were well used to eccentric blow-in's up in Donegal.......there were more looper's in Donegal than you could shake a stick at in the '80's!!!!

I think it was BBC....these lads got a lot of attention from alll over the World!! But I watched the doc and I was in the UK at the time so, BBC would be a good start!!!
Advertisement
23-02-2012, 15:55   #85
Pupito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora2 View Post
Aaaw Pupito.....that makes them sound as if there was something a bit suspect going on If there was it was amongst themselves, the BBC crew arrived and they had no 'students' so the crew went into Burtonport and asked a few of the locals would they do it for the Craic, a good meal and a few scoops.............it was the '80's everyone was broke and my Mother was wickedly humorous and so got together about 8 or so women and girls to do it...........we were well used to eccentric blow-in's up in Donegal.......there were more looper's in Donegal than you could shake a stick at in the '80's!!!!
Ha! Now I want to see it ven more, given that locals were involved.
23-02-2012, 18:12   #86
Pandora2
Closed Account

Should you find it I'd be obliged for a link.......lost my Mum 2 1/2 years ago and I miss her.....she very funny and game for a laugh. I remember one year in Lanzarote herself and her sister entered Miss Laguna Beach as "Twisted Sister's"....a feckin' scream.

I remember she told me that after a day or so of filming, the two Ryan's Daughter extra's in charge forgot they, the 'students', were volunteers, helping them out and started to order them about Got very bossy in fact!! They were educated with a few home truths 'Donegal Style' in no uncertain fashion. As I recall, you can see a bit of tension building in the doc!!
23-02-2012, 19:11   #87
Greentopia

There was a place down in Inisglas in Wexford that a cousin of mine lived for a while that had people living what some would call alternative lifestyles.

My cousin is a visual artist and there were other artists, practicioners of complementary medicine, organic farmers and musicians all living there in a big old farmhouse. Mostly English. One of John Bowman's kids lived there for a while I believe. It's no longer a 'commune' now though.

BTW-the term hippy commune is a bit outdated, the term mostly used now is 'Intentional Communities'.

I have to laugh at anyone saying these poeple are uneducated and smelly.

The ones I've met-and I've met quite a few because most of my friends would be working in the arts, including myself ...are more educated and intelligent than most people I know living conventional lives. Most have university degrees (one English guy I know has a history degree from Oxford), PhD's...
They mostly are the sons and daughters of the middle classes. As for smelly, can't say I've noticed

If I ever have the means I'd love to set one up actually. And I will have a farmhouse some day so it's a possibility. It'd be a dream to have a place like Christiania in Copenhagen here, though you'd need a lot of land.
(3) thanks from:
29-02-2012, 01:08   #88
ultain

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
There is an eco village in Cloughjordan.
http://thevillage.ie/

I wouldn't mind building an earthship there.
Earthship! super funk................oh yeah!!
29-02-2012, 01:22   #89
dlofnep
Closed Account

About 15 years ago or so, myself and a mate used to go on the duck from school. We used to bump into this old hippy guy who walked his dog from time to time. The guy was really in tune with nature - He showed us all these plants you could eat, and nuts underground by pulling up roots of certain plants. He knew all the bird nesting areas and was just generally an all-around sound fella. We used to bum tobacco off him, cos he always smoked rollies.
29-02-2012, 01:31   #90
Domo230
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFamous View Post
Dame street.
At least those "hippies" are willing to stand up and let people know that they disapprove how the government and the banks are treating us.

Protesters are usually portrayed negatively because the people in charge want to tarnish the protesters credibility.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion