Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-02-2012, 12:27   #1
ringadingding

Patterns / Seasons of stutter control

I've had a stutter since around 4, sometimes it's prominent, sometimes its not.
Sometimes after a few beers it goes, sometimes it gets worse.

Sometimes it gets terrible talking to strangers and disappears around friends/family, sometimes it disappears around strangers and is terrible around friends.

No real rhyme or reason..
But I do find in Spring and around christmas time, It gets much much worse for prolonged periods.

I have kinda embraced it as much as is possible to be honest, It doesn't hold me back, I can see the advantages sometimes, it generally gets people on your side/ out of speeding tickets/ an perhaps people will compromise more than with a non stuttering person.

I'm a head chef, and in service, and in fact in any times of stress, it completely disappears, sometimes in completely relaxed surroundings it completely destroys me.

My friends and I are chronic pisstakers, and my stutter is not off limits to the jokes, I have no problem with that, and that makes me more at ease than it being an elephant in the room.

I just know that over the coming weeks, it will get worse, much worse than usual, and it will fade off after a few weeks, and has done so for years, and return with a vengeance mid december for a few weeks. These periods are in no way more stressful for me than the rest of the year.

Im just wondering, if anybody else has noticed a pattern regarding season/ time and not specific situations ?

Gaz
Advertisement
22-02-2012, 16:44   #2
sweep22

I can't say I've noticed my stammering change with the seasons.. I have however noticed "periods" of increased stammering, lasting maybe a month or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingding View Post
My friends and I are chronic pisstakers, and my stutter is not off limits to the jokes, I have no problem with that, and that makes me more at ease than it being an elephant in the room.
This is great to hear, I might look into something like this with certain groups of friends
03-03-2012, 09:36   #3
Xeneon

I have noticed that my stammer will vary in severity on a day by day basis. Some days I can talk almost perfectly while others I can barely get a word out.

To be honest I have no idea why it fluctuates. I work in a restaurant as a waiter and it doesn't affect me much any more in work; probably due to constantly having to speak with customers and kind of reiterating the same things over and over. Outside of work it does tend to be worse.

I do notice that if I am frustrated or angry it never affects me which comes in handy when I get into yelling competitions with the chefs.

Last edited by Xeneon; 03-03-2012 at 09:46.
19-03-2012, 21:50   #4
Karen23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeneon View Post
I have noticed that my stammer will vary in severity on a day by day basis. Some days I can talk almost perfectly while others I can barely get a word out.

To be honest I have no idea why it fluctuates.

Same here , I could never figure out why this happens , for me its nothing to do with stressful situations or feeling at ease because I've had good and bad experiences in both situations. Its purely on a day to day basis , not seasonally for me. Wouldnt you love to find out why some days are '' good days '' and make every day the same
Thanks from:
17-05-2012, 06:57   #5
U_Fig

I'm in a very similar situation to the OP.. Except I have a stammer..get periods when it's worse and periods when I'm ok no real pattern to... I find that if do not get a lot of sleep it generally does be worse..I work as a barman. I've trained myself to get into a frame of mind that somewhat eliminates my stammer for the most part, although it does still appear now and then in work..

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion