Kendrick Lamar - Page 5 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-02-2012, 00:22   #61
mufcboy1999
Registered User
 
mufcboy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,634
good interview with lamar, talks being left out of mtv list, detox and working with pharrell etc.

great news that lamar is a 100 per cent confirmed feature on detox and possible pharell production on his debut.

mufcboy1999 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 01:41   #62
horsebox09
Registered User
 
horsebox09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 694
Good interview, I'd like to hear Kendrick over some Neptunes production

Just being listening to this track;



He really has got some future ahead of him
horsebox09 is offline  
Thanks from:
21-02-2012, 01:58   #63
mufcboy1999
Registered User
 
mufcboy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsebox09 View Post
Good interview, I'd like to hear Kendrick over some Neptunes production

Just being listening to this track;


He really has got some future ahead of him
great song from a class mixtape that is.

ye he really does, my only fear is that maybe he has set the bar too high with his mixtapes and section 80 that the album might disappoint somewhat similar to j.cole, who's work pier to his album is better than most other modern day rappers careers.

j cole went the commercial route on the album though for me and it was a huge letdown imo, a part of me cant see lamar going as commercial as cole did on his debut so thats a good thing for me.

i honestly havnt been this hyped for a debut album/rapper for years, he is my current favorite rapper by a long way.
mufcboy1999 is offline  
21-02-2012, 02:09   #64
horsebox09
Registered User
 
horsebox09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufcboy1999 View Post
great song from a class mixtape that is.

ye he really does, my only fear is that maybe he has set the bar too high with his mixtapes and section 80 that the album might disappoint somewhat similar to j.cole, who's work pier to his album is better than most other modern day rappers careers.

j cole went the commercial route on the album though for me and it was a huge letdown imo, a part of me cant see lamar going as commercial as cole did on his debut so thats a good thing for me.

i honestly havnt been this hyped for a debut album/rapper for years, he is my current favorite rapper by a long way.
I agree with all of that man, I'm really interested to see what Kendrick has in store on his debut

I don't think he'll go too commercial with it, maybe a Drake or a Pharell feature, but I can see it being similar to Section.80

And I agree on J Cole, to be fair his debut had some great stuff on it, but it was really forgettable overall

Yeah seems like the majority of hip hop heads, from underground listeners to more casual listeners, are hyped over Kendrick, which is something you don't normally see with upincoming rappers nowadays, he deserves the acclaim though
horsebox09 is offline  
Thanks from:
21-02-2012, 02:20   #65
conor.hogan.2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,159
Section.80 was a solid solid Mixtape/album, that will be hard to top in fairness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsebox09 View Post
Yeah seems like the majority of hip hop heads, from underground listeners to more casual listeners, are hyped over Kendrick, which is something you don't normally see with upincoming rappers nowadays, he deserves the acclaim though
Well put, very few artists that have mass appeal and "underground" support equally. The Game is probably up there but few other rappers.
conor.hogan.2 is offline  
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 02:32   #66
mufcboy1999
Registered User
 
mufcboy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,634
Quote:
I agree with all of that man, I'm really interested to see what Kendrick has in store on his debut

I don't think he'll go too commercial with it, maybe a Drake or a Pharell feature, but I can see it being similar to Section.80
ye he said in an interview with jay rock recently (its on this thread somewhere) that he is going to continue on from section 80 so your dead right there mate, thats great for me because i loved the whole concept/story behind section 80 so hopefully the album will be even better.

but ye i expect some commercial material with maybe a drake etc to gain some radio presence but look these days that has to be done if a rapper wants to sell somewhat well.

Quote:
And I agree on J Cole, to be fair his debut had some great stuff on it, but it was really forgettable overall
defo some good stuff on it alright, the likes of breakdown etc were class but for me the bad outweighed the good which was a shame because he really does have the talent to produce a classic, it still was a number 1 album though just not enough of what his core fans wanted really imo.

but it was my biggest letdown of 2011 because i really was expecting something class on the level of other great debuts like illmatic, doggystyle, get rich etc.

i bought the album back in sept, and honestly found myself listining to the same 3 or 4 songs and then going back to his mixtapes.

Quote:
Yeah seems like the majority of hip hop heads, from underground listeners to more casual listeners, are hyped over Kendrick, which is something you don't normally see with upincoming rappers nowadays, he deserves the acclaim though
true, i think the man just makes good music. I dont think iv seen a thread on a rapper here where nearly all the post have being positive.
mufcboy1999 is offline  
22-02-2012, 01:47   #67
mufcboy1999
Registered User
 
mufcboy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,634
came across a fella called BJ the chicago kid today he is pretty good r'n'b soul element to his music but 2 of his songs ft lamar and their very good, very different from lamar but good.

also came across this snippet of a frank ocean song ft lamar on youtube also sounds good, wouldnt mind hearing the full version of this.

all new material, might have slipped under the radar for a few of us.





mufcboy1999 is offline  
28-02-2012, 22:00   #68
mufcboy1999
Registered User
 
mufcboy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,634
talks touring with drake and how cartoons and cereal was originally for the album!

cartoons and careal is a class song if that good of material is being left out, i cant wait to hear what actually makes the album.

video coming soon for the cartoon and cereal song too.

mufcboy1999 is offline  
28-02-2012, 22:29   #69
Hugh Cream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,365
not really on board with kendrick, need to really sit down and listen to the mixtape again.
Hugh Cream is offline  
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 22:36   #70
mufcboy1999
Registered User
 
mufcboy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Cream View Post
not really on board with kendrick, need to really sit down and listen to the mixtape again.
you should man, give his earlier stuff a try too.

have you listened to section 80 at all or do you just not like it?
mufcboy1999 is offline  
28-02-2012, 23:10   #71
Hugh Cream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufcboy1999 View Post
you should man, give his earlier stuff a try too.

have you listened to section 80 at all or do you just not like it?
ye have listened to section 80 a few times, found myself skipping quite a few songs, in fact listened to it again the other day kind of forcing myself to sit all the way through without skipping tracks.
ive been known to do that though, not surprising for me to catch on to something after listening to it on and off for a while.
Hugh Cream is offline  
29-02-2012, 00:52   #72
PrettyBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,416
Absolutely loving these new tracks, especially Cartoon & Cereal, if he isn't supporting Drake I might cry..
PrettyBoy is offline  
29-02-2012, 02:49   #73
mufcboy1999
Registered User
 
mufcboy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Cream View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufcboy1999 View Post
you should man, give his earlier stuff a try too.

have you listened to section 80 at all or do you just not like it?
ye have listened to section 80 a few times, found myself skipping quite a few songs, in fact listened to it again the other day kind of forcing myself to sit all the way through without skipping tracks.
ive been known to do that though, not surprising for me to catch on to something after listening to it on and off for a while.
Ye he might grow on you in time. Could be a case of you enjoying his debut when it's released and then actually get into his older stuff. I was like that with kanye when I first started listening to him , it's only really in the last 2 years I became a real kanye fan and actually appeiciate how good his music is bar that auto tune album which is terrible IMO.

@prettyboy , +1 on that !
mufcboy1999 is offline  
29-02-2012, 02:57   #74
Mikeyt086
Registered User
 
Mikeyt086's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bray
Posts: 9,755
At least the 3 of us can get a "WE WANT KENDRICK!" chat going in the o2.

I must say, I missed the boat originally with K-Dot. I've been a Jay Rock fan for a few years and always liked Kendrick's verses on his tracks, but when the album came out I missed it. Shocking really considering I was IN California at the time. It was only when I got home, was at a mates gaf, was nicely medicated and heard ADHD for the first time, I was like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck". Downloaded the album and absolutely loved it. His work on 'The City' is just incredible aswell. I got goosebumps the first time I heard it.
Mikeyt086 is offline  
29-02-2012, 03:10   #75
mufcboy1999
Registered User
 
mufcboy1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt086 View Post
At least the 3 of us can get a "WE WANT KENDRICK!" chat going in the o2.

I must say, I missed the boat originally with K-Dot. I've been a Jay Rock fan for a few years and always liked Kendrick's verses on his tracks, but when the album came out I missed it. Shocking really considering I was IN California at the time. It was only when I got home, was at a mates gaf, was nicely medicated and heard ADHD for the first time, I was like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck". Downloaded the album and absolutely loved it. His work on 'The City' is just incredible aswell. I got goosebumps the first time I heard it.
He really did make the city track his own absolutely killed it in every way imaginable.

Tbh it was great having Lamar on the red album because it would have introduced him to some of games fan base which is good because he still is relatively unknown in many ways.

The fact that he is a confirmed feature on detox will also boost him putting him on a huge global hip hop stage with arguably the most anticipated album in hip hop history.

I remember hearing look out for detox and just taught man he can fuc*ing rap his hole off!
mufcboy1999 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet