should i refund buyer? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

21-02-2012, 01:24   #1
jillyb

should i refund buyer?

hey there,

buyer offered €15incl p&p for a perfume.
They said they would post cash ( not safest option but what they wanted to do)

Cash never turned up so over a week later they decided to send a postal order which i did receive.

I then sent the perfume. Next day they said they received it and thanks. then couple hours later said they opened the box and there was a strong smell of perfume and only a drop left so it leaked.

Should i offer a full refund? i offered €12 refund as thats minus the €3 to post it.

I want to do a bank tansfer/paypal as its easiest and wont cost me anything extra.They said to just return the orig postal order but i cashed it when posting the perfume

thanks
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 08:23   #2
BengaLover

Was the perfume sealed ie, was it new? How was it wrapped? I would have a few misgivings, in that I would be suspicious that the buyer wasnt happy that the first payment was lost and has had to make another payment, so in total has paid 30 for a bottle of perfume worth 15, and has said it broke in post in order to claim a refund for 15, making her break even..
Im not for a moment suggesting the buyer is doing this, or is dishonest, but that would be my personal misgivings, but then I have a rotten suspicious mind lol..
Ask for a photo of the packaging and broken bottle, those perfume bottles are hard to break and Im wondering how that could have happened too!

Last edited by BengaLover; 21-02-2012 at 08:24. Reason: spel check
21-02-2012, 09:01   #3
Adverts.ie: Eddie
Verified representative

This is one of these where it's really impossible to tell as nobody but the buyer can see the bottle now. Asking for a photo of the item in its broken condition would, I suspect, be rather easy to arrange if the buyer so wished. Jillyb, you said you wanted to do a bank transfer and if you choose to refund then the method has to be acceptable to both parties although I can see returning the postal order isn't an option.
21-02-2012, 13:33   #4
jillyb

Thanks for the replies.Yes it was brand new in box and sealed with plastic.
I wrapped it in brown wrapping paper then. I have sent perfumes before like this and not a problem.

I had my suspicions slightly too but wasn't sure.

I have asked her to email me a pic of the damage but I have a feeling she will say she doesnt have a camera or something.
Only because she said that couldnt do a bank transfer because she closed her bank account.

if she cant send pic should i still refund her?

thanks
21-02-2012, 13:38   #5
campo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
Thanks for the replies.Yes it was brand new in box and sealed with plastic.
I wrapped it in brown wrapping paper then. I have sent perfumes before like this and not a problem.

I had my suspicions slightly too but wasn't sure.

I have asked her to email me a pic of the damage but I have a feeling she will say she doesnt have a camera or something.
Only because she said that couldnt do a bank transfer because she closed her bank account.

if she cant send pic should i still refund her?

thanks

I dont see why you should refund her but if you recieve negative feedback then you have to live with that.
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 23:18   #6
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

If you're going to refund her, make sure you cash in the PO first - there is a known scam where fake cheques / PO's are sent and then refunds sought.

Afterwards the PO / cheque turns out to be fake.

PO's are safer from the sellers point of view as you'll either be able to cash it or not. Cheques may bounce several days later (after you lodge them).

I'm not suggesting for a second that this is what's going in here, just saying you should always be wary.

Does anyone know what happens if you bring your own PO (i.e .the buyer in this case) back??
Forum Closed