Ballycotton 10 - sub 60 + top 100 t-shirt! - Page 7 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-02-2012, 22:35   #91
kaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brent View Post
Impressive times there. I mentioned on barts log, I ran sub 60 twice off 18:10; 18:30; 19:30 times, always out the back door for the last rep, so I wouldn't be too worried. The pace won't be a problem to you, the lack of miles might mean that maintaining the pace might be the tough bit so I think you need to really get the pacing of the first 6 miles right. I put a bit about this on barts log.

Best of luck with it now, main thing is to enjoy it, that's why we do it.
Thanks - that's encouraging to hear! Pacing will be key alright - I'll just keep reminding myself of how I felt for that last 3 mile interval to force me to keep the foot off the accelerator on race day.

Tuesday, 21 February - 8.16 miles easy; Avg 7:54 min / mile; Avg HR 147

Started out stiff from the session last night but felt fresher as the run went on. Should be okay for a tempo run tomorrow.
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 20:13   #92
kaymin

Wednesday, 22 February - 8 miles easy; 7:38 min/mile; Avg HR 148

Friday, 24 February - 12.4 miles; 6:59 min/mile; Avg HR messed up

Plans for a few more hard sessions this week fell by the wayside as a result of picking up a virus - finally felt well enough for a run today so went at a steady pace.

Saturday, 25 February - 8 miles; Avg 7:21 min/mile; Avg HR messed up

Supposed to be an easy pace but felt wrecked for this.

51 miles for the week -second highest weekly mileage but only one session.

Thursday, 1 March - nothing done today and nothing done all week - been battling a sore throat / cold all week. Finally feel I'm getting over it. Debating whether to run 4 easy miles tomorrow - though I might just wait til Sunday / race day before I run again. Maybe catching a cold and an enforced layoff this week will work to my advantage
05-03-2012, 16:03   #93
WithCheesePlease

Send a message via MSN to WithCheesePlease Send a message via Skype™ to WithCheesePlease
Well??!!
05-03-2012, 17:40   #94
kaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithCheesePlease View Post
Well??!!
Sunday, 4 March - Ballycotton 10

Unfortunately I bombed. As mentioned in previous posts I've been suffering a cold / sore throat this week and I was hopeful I'd be rid of it by race day. That proved optimistic - despite consuming lots of kiwis, oranges, manuka honey and lemsips, I couldn't get rid of the virus. I revised my race plans and decided to aim for 31 minutes for the first 5 and then push on in the second half if I felt strong. I knew after mile 1 that wasn't realistic.....

First mile was about 5:57 which with the downhill was fairly conservative in normal circumstances. Despite this I didn't feel good. Did 5:58 for mile 2 - this included the steep downhill section. I kept holding back on the pace but despite this, I felt terrible - no energy. A 6:23 third mile finished off any hope. I felt like retiring but that meant running against the flow of runners and the shame that goes with that. So I struggled on with a goal of just finishing. Streams of runners passed me but I had no energy to do anything about it. Pace was 6:40 or 6:50 per mile - normally this would be very comfortable but not today. After 4 miles of drifting back through the field I made an effort to hold onto a passing group around mile 7 - it was hardship but kept with them and pushed the last mile in 6:12. Shagged at the end. 65:05 - slower than a training run I did a few weeks ago, way slower than my 10 mile pb of 60:55 and last year's Ballycotton 10 time of 62:19 (when I hardly trained). I'd really have liked to give it my best effort.

Might try salvage something from all the training I've been doing - maybe target a 10km pb or consider another 10 mile race in the next 6 weeks before I go back to kayaking proper.

Thanks to anyone reading / comments / advice.
05-03-2012, 18:27   #95
bart simpson

Send a message via MSN to bart simpson
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymin View Post
Sunday, 4 March - Ballycotton 10

Unfortunately I bombed. As mentioned in previous posts I've been suffering a cold / sore throat this week and I was hopeful I'd be rid of it by race day. That proved optimistic - despite consuming lots of kiwis, oranges, manuka honey and lemsips, I couldn't get rid of the virus. I revised my race plans and decided to aim for 31 minutes for the first 5 and then push on in the second half if I felt strong. I knew after mile 1 that wasn't realistic.....

First mile was about 5:57 which with the downhill was fairly conservative in normal circumstances. Despite this I didn't feel good. Did 5:58 for mile 2 - this included the steep downhill section. I kept holding back on the pace but despite this, I felt terrible - no energy. A 6:23 third mile finished off any hope. I felt like retiring but that meant running against the flow of runners and the shame that goes with that. So I struggled on with a goal of just finishing. Streams of runners passed me but I had no energy to do anything about it. Pace was 6:40 or 6:50 per mile - normally this would be very comfortable but not today. After 4 miles of drifting back through the field I made an effort to hold onto a passing group around mile 7 - it was hardship but kept with them and pushed the last mile in 6:12. Shagged at the end. 65:05 - slower than a training run I did a few weeks ago, way slower than my 10 mile pb of 60:55 and last year's Ballycotton 10 time of 62:19 (when I hardly trained). I'd really have liked to give it my best effort.

Might try salvage something from all the training I've been doing - maybe target a 10km pb or consider another 10 mile race in the next 6 weeks before I go back to kayaking proper.

Thanks to anyone reading / comments / advice.
sorry to hear that things didnt go well for you kaymin, you should definately try another 10 mile, do mallow! dont let all the work go to waste
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 18:34   #96
Larry Brent

Unlucky mate. I think you can afford to go a lot easier in training and save it for the race. You were doing some savage paces in training. The hard paces in training might have led to missing recovery days with niggles and fatigue etc. Better to go a bit easier on session days so you can still do all recovery days and keep mileage consistent. With a nice easy consistent couple of weeks now you could have a good salvage in Mallow or otherwise do a good 10k in a while like you suggested. Best of luck.
Thanks from:
05-03-2012, 20:27   #97
tisnotover

+1 to what Larry said above, you've a very good base in. If you ease back into it now you could give a 10k a right go. Your log along with Bart's is one I've been following with a while. Fair play to ya.
Thanks from:
06-03-2012, 10:17   #98
WithCheesePlease

Send a message via MSN to WithCheesePlease Send a message via Skype™ to WithCheesePlease
Very sorry to hear that kaymin, but I agree with what the others are saying about the Mallow 10.

Inspiring stuff though, you must just have given me notions myself...
Thanks from:
06-03-2012, 10:30   #99
BobMac104

Mallow!!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-03-2012, 15:39   #100
cwgatling

Unlucky man. It was not your day. Recover for a few days, head to Mallow and set the record straight.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion