Detailing Thread - Page 20 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

20-02-2012, 09:18   #286
vectra
"Quick Silver"

Send a message via Skype™ to vectra
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzgeme View Post
I do see blacklight and V7 being sold as a set aright. Do ye all think its important to layer products from the same manufacturer?
No,
But they work good together
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 09:46   #287
MetzgerMeister
Ich bin nur ein böser Traum

They say that their products work best together but I'm a pessemist when it comes to this. I think it's just a way to make people think that they can't use anything else and they then go out and buy that comany's products again.

There may well be some merit to it but I don't really believe it.
Thanks from:
20-02-2012, 10:36   #288
vectra
"Quick Silver"

Send a message via Skype™ to vectra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
They say that their products work best together but I'm a pessemist when it comes to this. I think it's just a way to make people think that they can't use anything else and they then go out and buy that comany's products again.

All down to Marketing.
The only reason I suggested getting Hybrid V7 to top off Blacklight is becauce I used these and found they did a good job.
If anyone used them and found them not good or found a better product over Blacklight then this is what detailing advice is all about
(2) thanks from:
20-02-2012, 10:45   #289
MetzgerMeister

I did a bit of paint correcting this weekend on challengemaster's BMW after washing, claying, washing and drying.

I used a Kestrel DA, medium cutting pad and Menzerna Medium cut polish - all courtesy of conzy's cousin.

I only did the bonnet which we divided into 4 parts and I must say, I was surprised at the results I got in only a few minutes and 2 passes. There was a very noticable difference between polished and unpolished sections with regard to both swirl marks and obviously, colour depth. Himself was happy out

The reason for just doing the bonnet was because we were doing this up to 12 on saturday night and the frost was setting in. Due to the cold, the polish wasn't drying/hazing properly.
(2) thanks from:
20-02-2012, 10:46   #290
TomMc

You can mix and match products, so long as the components of the various products are compatible. In other words a carnauba wax will sit on top of an acrylic sealant, but an acrylic sealant will not bond to a carnauba wax. And the same would apply for detailing sprays, it really depends on the contents, what exactly will work. Generally, it is better to use products from the same manufacturer in a system if layering. But it is more important to know if one product contains any cleaners or a high solvent content, otherwise it could compromise what it is been layered over. Also a sealant or wax or combinations of both, are three different options, one will give a better look or finish to a certain type of paint or colour than the others will.

AutoGlym EGP is very fussy about what it will bond to, many competing products are not. If I was to choose some of the best polishes, glazes, sealants and waxes, they would all be different brands.

In America for example many different brands, have the same product manufacturer. So their products are extremely similar or have generic formulas. They just market themselves differently and so charge accordingly.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 10:58   #291
MetzgerMeister

Thanks for that Tom!

There was talk of someone doing a day's lesson in how to properly wash, polish, wax a car a while ago.

Would this be an option for you? It would be great for the forum and would be a meet in itself.
Thanks from:
20-02-2012, 10:59   #292
TomMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzgeme View Post
I do see blacklight and V7 being sold as a set aright. Do ye all think its important to layer products from the same manufacturer?
Quote:

It may not be critical to use the same brand throughout, but that doesn't mean that doing so will not give a better result. Manufacturers will source the active ingredients of their products from the big chemical companies. If there is consistency throughout their range (e.g. same type of ingredients, say a certain type of polymer), well then it follows that they will work better together.

But ultimately as mentioned already, marketing plays a big part in what branded products are about. Some brands like to create a lifestyle brand, where consumers will buy into whatever story or so called values they represent. Get them to identify with the brand for repeat business, increased sales and profits.
(2) thanks from:
20-02-2012, 11:15   #293
TomMc

Quote:
Would this be an option for you? It would be great for the forum and would be a meet in itself.
Maybe later on in the year.

In the meantime, these are a few that will give a very good idea for everyone who's interested.

http://www.autogeek.net/showcargarage.html

http://www.autogeek.net/video-ascg.html

http://paintcarendetailing.com/video.html
(2) thanks from:
20-02-2012, 20:10   #294
eringobragh

Update on my purchase:

It seems I made a mistake in the checkout and order the CG xxx wax instead of the blacklight!

Not too worry..Larry from Cleancar called me up this morning and said he saw my post on here and asked what I wanted and amended the order..He told me to give him a shout when I've the DA and he'll give me a few pointers on how to use it best.

Can't argue with that for service
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 21:00   #295
fitzgeme

Larry is dead sound alright, always send refresher lollies and sweets with you invoice too which is a nice touch.
(2) thanks from:
20-02-2012, 21:16   #296
MetzgerMeister

Would it be an idea to get a detailer to sponsor a detailing forum/sub-forum?

It might also persuade the admins to give the go-ahead for it.
20-02-2012, 22:06   #297
MetzgerMeister

I just ordered the G-Technic black trim restorer from cleancar.

Anyone else use this stuff?
20-02-2012, 23:25   #298
TestTransmission

Quote:
I did a bit of paint correcting this weekend on challengemaster's BMW after washing, claying, washing and drying.

I used a Kestrel DA, medium cutting pad and Menzerna Medium cut polish - all courtesy of conzy's cousin.

I only did the bonnet which we divided into 4 parts and I must say, I was surprised at the results I got in only a few minutes and 2 passes. There was a very noticable difference between polished and unpolished sections with regard to both swirl marks and obviously, colour depth. Himself was happy out

The reason for just doing the bonnet was because we were doing this up to 12 on saturday night and the frost was setting in. Due to the cold, the polish wasn't drying/hazing properly.
Wanna do mine?

Last edited by TestTransmission; 21-02-2012 at 01:31.
20-02-2012, 23:34   #299
MetzgerMeister

It was a simple question - no need for the attitude.

Last edited by MetzgerMeister; 21-02-2012 at 10:19.
(2) thanks from:
21-02-2012, 02:28   #300
McP2011

Is it normal enough for a da to sound a bit rattely?
Thread Closed