Oil Filter Wrench - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-02-2012, 04:31   #16
Man of Aran

TIP I saw years ago - instead of the traditional 'wetting' of the sealing rubber ring on spin -on oil and diesel filters using the respective fluid, carefully coat the seat surfaces with some general automotive grease, neatly wiped off by finger and then firmly hand tightened as suggested.
( of course before naysayers jump in ... dont let gobs of grease get inside the active filter area , I am saying just a finger coat on the rubber ring )

Rest assured, doesn't matter 6 month or 6 years later that filter will loosen off first time.
Advertisement
18-02-2012, 09:30   #17
colm_mcm
rotaredoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomb View Post
Had one come loose though that was hand tightened, so I always tighten them with a wrench now, I have a selection of wrenches including the nylon strap type, the metal strap , and the metal dome cover type.
Had one come loose on my mothers 323 1.6, which also is a pain to get at at the back of the engine from underneath.
18-02-2012, 09:59   #18
CJhaughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
Any idea where the pollen filter is, I have the feeling it's in the drivers footwell somewhere?
Just cleaned mine this week.
To the left of drivers footrest is a flap of carpet with studs holding it to the centre console, remove the mushrooms and pull the flap down.
At the front of the console just behind the bulkhead you will see a small rectangular flap with two tabs, squeeze them in and pull the lid out.
You will see two tabs with foam covering them.
The bottom filter pulls straight out horizontally and the top filter pulls down and then out.
Mine were predictably filthy and I scrubbed the filter with a toothbrush and some washing up liquid several times until the material was clean.
Until I can get new ones this will do.
19-02-2012, 01:53   #19
megafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Pudsey View Post
I have a toyota Avensis 2006 on it has a paper filter in an aluminium houseing I need to get the wrench to remove it has I think about 14 flutes ie little sides and I think it is between 75 and 80mm accross where would I get one other than a main dealer. I see one on E-Bay they are 14 sided and are 77-78mm are these suitable

Farmer Pudsey....
What you need is a 65mm cup socket with 14 flutes (ebay link below) a good motor factors should have them but make sure correct size as theirs various sizes & note that most are for use with a 3/8" drive socket wrench! http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330677926434&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:1123
19-02-2012, 02:07   #20
megafan

Toyota 09228-06501 and 09228-06500-02
Specifically designed for Japanese vehicles including Suzuki, Daihatsu, Subaru, Mazda, Lexus and Toyota.
  • Cup style oil filter wrench.
  • 65mm x 14 Flutes.
  • Suitable for most modern Japanese vehicles.
  • Removes paper filter without damaging the filter housing.
  • 3/8"Drive.
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 00:47   #21
Farmer Pudsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by megafan View Post
Toyota 09228-06501 and 09228-06500-02
Specifically designed for Japanese vehicles including Suzuki, Daihatsu, Subaru, Mazda, Lexus and Toyota.

• Cup style oil filter wrench.
  • 65mm x 14 Flutes.
  • Suitable for most modern Japanese vehicles.
  • Removes paper filter without damaging the filter housing.
  • 3/8"Drive.
I have seen these however I have measured the Filter housing with a steel rulers and it seems to be in the 70-80mm range and 14 flutes I will have to get a vernier callipers.
20-02-2012, 01:22   #22
megafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Pudsey View Post
I have seen these however I have measured the Filter housing with a steel rulers and it seems to be in the 70-80mm range and 14 flutes I will have to get a vernier callipers.

Farmer Pudsey

For what it's worth I have a 2009 2LT diesel Avensis & 65mm & 14 flutes fits... & as far as i know they use the same paper element (I'm not perfect but hope some help!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSWn2SMrNfI & link to utube clip
20-02-2012, 20:25   #23
colm_mcm
rotaredoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJhaughey View Post
Just cleaned mine this week.
To the left of drivers footrest is a flap of carpet with studs holding it to the centre console, remove the mushrooms and pull the flap down.
At the front of the console just behind the bulkhead you will see a small rectangular flap with two tabs, squeeze them in and pull the lid out.
You will see two tabs with foam covering them.
The bottom filter pulls straight out horizontally and the top filter pulls down and then out.
Mine were predictably filthy and I scrubbed the filter with a toothbrush and some washing up liquid several times until the material was clean.
Until I can get new ones this will do.
Thanks, 'twas maggotty, just left it without a filter afterwards.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion