Other Can't remove window wiper arm - ideas? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-02-2012, 11:00   #1
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Can't remove window wiper arm - ideas?

The window wipers on the wife's Micra broke last weekend. The motor is fine, I've managed to get a look in under the fascia and a linkage has become disconnected. I managed to briefly reconnect it with some wrist gymnastics, but it popped off again when I put the wipers on full blast.

So in order to fix it I need to remove the wiper arms to get the fascia off and get in at the linkages. Except the bloody arms refuse to come off. I've unscrewed the fixing bolts, lifted the arm to remove the tension, but both of them seem to be seized to the splines. WD40, rocking them back and forth and hauling on them, using a spanner to lever from the bottom, even trying a plastic mallet to loosen them, nothing. Not even a hint of movement.

Anyone done this before, any ideas? :/
Advertisement
14-02-2012, 13:30   #2
Plug

With the wiper arms up try press down on the hinged part of the arms and pull back up. Do that a few times. You can get a wiper arm pullers if your stuck. Less than a tenner.
14-02-2012, 13:36   #3
seamus
Dental Plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plug View Post
With the wiper arms up try press down on the hinged part of the arms and pull back up. Do that a few times. You can get a wiper arm pullers if your stuck. Less than a tenner.
Cheers, I'll give that another go, but I don't hold out hope. I saw a couple of pullers online, but people looking for €70. Where would I get one - motor factors?
14-02-2012, 13:47   #4
Plug

Yeah motor factors or even Halfords I think. Don't be afraid to push down on that part of the arm too and wobble it with a bit of force.
Thanks from:
14-02-2012, 14:09   #5
mathepac
Banned

Those fecken things can be a night-mare to remove. Two different metals in contact and they can react, effectively welding them together. Spray WD40 and use the Halfords wiper-arm remover otherwise you may chew the wiper-arm to bits with a vice-grips, just like I did
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2012, 16:04   #6
massy086

put the nut back on only slightly and then hit the nut with a hammer a few times it will shock it loose never fail,s me and im a windscreen fitter so have to remove a lot of wipers
20-02-2012, 11:56   #7
seamus
Dental Plan!

Cheers guys. Couldn't source a proper puller and still had no joy using force to get them off, but I saw this in Halford's and just knew it would work, which it did, perfectly.

Luckily I can also use it for separating the broken ball joint linkages in the wiper assembly
20-02-2012, 15:17   #8
mickdw

There is a repair clip that is commonly used on the nissans. I dont know if this is the exact fault with yours but:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...All-Categories
Thanks from:
20-02-2012, 15:18   #9
seamus
Dental Plan!

Yeah, that's exactly what I've ordered, great cheap repair.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion