Fair play Jack Monday - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-02-2012, 21:41   #1
Amazotheamazing
Closed Account

Fair play Jack Monday

Glad to see the West African division of War of Independence has been remembered in the name of a new cafe in Thomondgate. Along with the Limerick Soviet, it's a small bit of history that's good to see remembered.
(6) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-02-2012, 23:23   #2
Kess73
Category Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Kess73
Had never heard of that little piece of Limerick history until now. Thanks for piquing my curiousity enough for me to do a search online about it. Think I may have to delve deeper into Limerick's history during the War of Independence as a result.
(3) thanks from:
17-02-2012, 23:34   #3
Amazotheamazing
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess73 View Post
Had never heard of that little piece of Limerick history until now. Thanks for piquing my curiousity enough for me to do a search online about it. Think I may have to delve deeper into Limerick's history during the War of Independence as a result.
The O'Ruairc (?) book is a great little read.
Thanks from:
17-02-2012, 23:38   #4
Itsdacraic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess73 View Post
Limericks Fighting Story is a brilliant book detailing the various incidents around Limerick at the time
Thanks from:
18-02-2012, 12:57   #5
phill106

never heard of it, cool
http://cheebah.typepad.com/cheebah_h...nday.html#more

led me onto http://www.britishpathe.com/video/fall-of-limerick which is an interesting video
Advertisement
18-02-2012, 13:45   #6
phog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazotheamazing View Post
The O'Ruairc (?) book is a great little read.
More info here on this post on the Limerick Library Thread.
18-02-2012, 21:39   #7
superheroger

Jack Monday

what a brilliant story. well done to the new cafe in thomondgate for commemorating such a brave man, we needed all the help we could get in those years. I will definately have a coffee in his honour at Jack Mondays very soon.
18-02-2012, 22:09   #8
Raiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by superheroger View Post
what a brilliant story. well done to the new cafe in thomondgate for commemorating such a brave man, we needed all the help we could get in those years. I will definately have a coffee in his honour at Jack Mondays very soon.
I will now too aim to spend money in your Cafe Timmy Tuesday
Thanks from:
19-02-2012, 00:25   #9
zulutango

I live very nearby and have already been there a few times.

It's a lovely little spot, with good food that isn't expensive. It's been tastefully decorated inside, and there's a nice deck onto the river which will be a cool place to hang out in summer time.

He should consider opening in the evenings because the footfall on Clancy Strand is quite high at these times, compared to during the day time, and he could get a lot of business from this passing trade.
Advertisement
19-02-2012, 12:27   #10
superheroger

Jack Monday

Also I might add its a great show of courage to open a business in Ireland in these challenging times. The location required a nice cafe for local residents, pass /walking trade and our tourists. well done Mr. Jack Monday and may you do exceedingly well.
19-02-2012, 14:47   #11
RonMexico
Closed Account

I can't wait to spend all my money in there now that I've read this on teh internets.
21-02-2012, 20:48   #12
Raiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by superheroger View Post
Also I might add its a great show of courage to open a business in Ireland in these challenging times. The location required a nice cafe for local residents, pass /walking trade and our tourists. well done Mr. Jack Monday and may you do exceedingly well.
Please stop insulting our intellilgunces, it hurts.....
21-02-2012, 22:23   #13
martyc5674

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I live very nearby and have already been there a few times.

It's a lovely little spot, with good food that isn't expensive. It's been tastefully decorated inside, and there's a nice deck onto the river which will be a cool place to hang out in summer time.

He should consider opening in the evenings because the footfall on Clancy Strand is quite high at these times, compared to during the day time, and he could get a lot of business from this passing trade.
Agree with all the above. Well kitted out
Was in there and and I believe they will have a wine licence and later opening soon
03-03-2012, 14:51   #14
Louche Lad

Finally got myself to Jack Monday's. Excellent place, can't really fault it (only oddity is having to pick a teabag out of a box). Very clean, polite staff, good quality cakes, great view of the river (will be fantastic in summer). Especially pleased there's no intrusive piped music.
05-03-2012, 13:24   #15
gaf1983

Does anybody know what the opening hours are?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion