Fair play Jack Monday - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-02-2012, 21:41   #1
Amazotheamazing
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,948
Fair play Jack Monday

Glad to see the West African division of War of Independence has been remembered in the name of a new cafe in Thomondgate. Along with the Limerick Soviet, it's a small bit of history that's good to see remembered.
Amazotheamazing is offline  
(6) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-02-2012, 23:23   #2
Kess73
Category Moderator
 
Kess73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tír na nÓg
Posts: 27,738
Send a message via Yahoo to Kess73
Had never heard of that little piece of Limerick history until now. Thanks for piquing my curiousity enough for me to do a search online about it. Think I may have to delve deeper into Limerick's history during the War of Independence as a result.
Kess73 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
17-02-2012, 23:34   #3
Amazotheamazing
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess73 View Post
Had never heard of that little piece of Limerick history until now. Thanks for piquing my curiousity enough for me to do a search online about it. Think I may have to delve deeper into Limerick's history during the War of Independence as a result.
The O'Ruairc (?) book is a great little read.
Amazotheamazing is offline  
Thanks from:
17-02-2012, 23:38   #4
Itsdacraic
Registered User
 
Itsdacraic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess73 View Post
Had never heard of that little piece of Limerick history until now. Thanks for piquing my curiousity enough for me to do a search online about it. Think I may have to delve deeper into Limerick's history during the War of Independence as a result.
Limericks Fighting Story is a brilliant book detailing the various incidents around Limerick at the time
Itsdacraic is offline  
Thanks from:
18-02-2012, 12:57   #5
phill106
Registered User
 
phill106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,653
never heard of it, cool
http://cheebah.typepad.com/cheebah_h...nday.html#more

led me onto http://www.britishpathe.com/video/fall-of-limerick which is an interesting video
phill106 is offline  
Advertisement
18-02-2012, 13:45   #6
phog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Limerick
Posts: 12,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazotheamazing View Post
The O'Ruairc (?) book is a great little read.
More info here on this post on the Limerick Library Thread.
phog is offline  
18-02-2012, 21:39   #7
superheroger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Jack Monday

what a brilliant story. well done to the new cafe in thomondgate for commemorating such a brave man, we needed all the help we could get in those years. I will definately have a coffee in his honour at Jack Mondays very soon.
superheroger is offline  
18-02-2012, 22:09   #8
Raiser
Registered User
 
Raiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Limwreck
Posts: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by superheroger View Post
what a brilliant story. well done to the new cafe in thomondgate for commemorating such a brave man, we needed all the help we could get in those years. I will definately have a coffee in his honour at Jack Mondays very soon.
I will now too aim to spend money in your Cafe Timmy Tuesday
Raiser is offline  
Thanks from:
19-02-2012, 00:25   #9
zulutango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 548
I live very nearby and have already been there a few times.

It's a lovely little spot, with good food that isn't expensive. It's been tastefully decorated inside, and there's a nice deck onto the river which will be a cool place to hang out in summer time.

He should consider opening in the evenings because the footfall on Clancy Strand is quite high at these times, compared to during the day time, and he could get a lot of business from this passing trade.
zulutango is offline  
Advertisement
19-02-2012, 12:27   #10
superheroger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Jack Monday

Also I might add its a great show of courage to open a business in Ireland in these challenging times. The location required a nice cafe for local residents, pass /walking trade and our tourists. well done Mr. Jack Monday and may you do exceedingly well.
superheroger is offline  
19-02-2012, 14:47   #11
RonMexico
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,880
I can't wait to spend all my money in there now that I've read this on teh internets.
RonMexico is offline  
21-02-2012, 20:48   #12
Raiser
Registered User
 
Raiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Limwreck
Posts: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by superheroger View Post
Also I might add its a great show of courage to open a business in Ireland in these challenging times. The location required a nice cafe for local residents, pass /walking trade and our tourists. well done Mr. Jack Monday and may you do exceedingly well.
Please stop insulting our intellilgunces, it hurts.....
Raiser is offline  
21-02-2012, 22:23   #13
martyc5674
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I live very nearby and have already been there a few times.

It's a lovely little spot, with good food that isn't expensive. It's been tastefully decorated inside, and there's a nice deck onto the river which will be a cool place to hang out in summer time.

He should consider opening in the evenings because the footfall on Clancy Strand is quite high at these times, compared to during the day time, and he could get a lot of business from this passing trade.
Agree with all the above. Well kitted out
Was in there and and I believe they will have a wine licence and later opening soon
martyc5674 is offline  
03-03-2012, 14:51   #14
Louche Lad
Registered User
 
Louche Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Limerick, London and the Continent
Posts: 448
Finally got myself to Jack Monday's. Excellent place, can't really fault it (only oddity is having to pick a teabag out of a box). Very clean, polite staff, good quality cakes, great view of the river (will be fantastic in summer). Especially pleased there's no intrusive piped music.
Louche Lad is offline  
05-03-2012, 13:24   #15
gaf1983
Registered User
 
gaf1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Rick of the Lim
Posts: 1,160
Does anybody know what the opening hours are?
gaf1983 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet