Debra Ireland Wicklow Mountains Half Marathon 11/03/2012 - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation
5 stars (excellent) 7 87.50%
4 stars (good) 1 12.50%
3 stars (average) 0 0%
2 stars (poor) 0 0%
1 star (terrible) 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

16-02-2012, 18:29   #31
Slogger Jogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovers_runner View Post
SJ, would there be many places left for this ?
Looking at entering as a prep for the Wicklow Way Trail, plus any chance to run in this area is worth a look.
Good for you. Nearly full I hear but not totally. Try the Debra Ireland website. If they accept your registration you're in.
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 23:11   #32
Pheidippides

I am a novice at this mountain/hill running thing....Does anyone know how easy it would be to follow this 1/2mara course or would you need to do some practise on the course. Would you need special reccie type preparation or be prepared with compass etc? Also will there be water available on the course?

Appreciate if anyone can help!
17-02-2012, 10:47   #33
Rinker
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
I am a novice at this mountain/hill running thing....Does anyone know how easy it would be to follow this 1/2mara course or would you need to do some practise on the course. Would you need special reccie type preparation or be prepared with compass etc? Also will there be water available on the course?

Appreciate if anyone can help!
Its really straightforward so theres no need for compass or recceing the course. As far as I remember there were 2 water stations last year.
17-02-2012, 11:16   #34
Slogger Jogger

Yep, its all clearly marked and if memory serves there were 2 water stops. If you can practice doing some runs offroad and on hilly terrain you'll be better prepared come the day.
17-02-2012, 20:42   #35
Pheidippides

thanks for replies folks, I entered and then had visions of me running around mountains in cirlces getting thirsty!
So this is a bit of a relief ....
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-02-2012, 20:49   #36
Slogger Jogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
thanks for replies folks, I entered and then had visions of me running around mountains in cirlces getting thirsty!
So this is a bit of a relief ....
Just take it handy and you'll have a great day in the hills. The run down towards Glendalough is beautiful.
20-02-2012, 18:33   #37
Slogger Jogger

Less than 20 spots left I believe before its full up.
23-02-2012, 19:16   #38
former

I just signed up. Must be one of the last in.

I think it will be good practice for the Wicklow Way trail a couple of weeks later and the "don't mention the ---" multisport race in mid April.
09-03-2012, 19:09   #39
Slogger Jogger

2 days to go. Looking forward to it. I ran a decent time 2 years back. Its difficult to compare events like this year on year as the weather and underfoot conditions can be dramatically different. I'd be happy to be anywhere near my 2 years ago time. Anything else is a bonus.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-03-2012, 09:21   #40
Sandwell

Best of luck Slogger Jogger and to anyone else that's running. It looks like you're going to get a perfect day for it. I'll be down there to support the missus and some friends but unfortunately I've had to pull out myself due to injury. I'm pretty gutted about it as this had been my goal race throughout the winter. We did a recce a few weeks ago and it really is a fantastic route with a bit of everything in terms of terrain.
Thanks from:
10-03-2012, 15:35   #41
andrewg1981

Hi just registered to use this as I have one quick query so I hope I am in the right place and doing this right. Packed all my stuff last night and I have just realised now that I left my trail runners at home. Luckily I have my normal running shoes with me for today so will these be okay for tomorrow or should i pop out and buy a cheap pair of trail runners just for tomorrow. Thanks a million for any assistance ya can give me.
10-03-2012, 15:51   #42
Slogger Jogger

@Andrewg. A race isn't the time to be trying new runners. While not ideal you are better off sticking to your road runners. They'll be fine for the trail bits but not so god for the boggy bits.
10-03-2012, 16:01   #43
andrewg1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slogger Jogger View Post
@Andrewg. A race isn't the time to be trying new runners. While not ideal you are better off sticking to your road runners. They'll be fine for the trail bits but not so god for the boggy bits.
cheers slogger jogger yeah exactly. My won stupidity but Il just stick to the road runners. Thanks
11-03-2012, 15:52   #44
The Davestator

Beautiful day for it today. I hadn't done much training for the half marathon and really should have! Really tough course, lots of hills and even the downhill stuff was rough so you couldn't pick up any time on it.

Course was well marked with decent water stations.

Very tough but loved it. Great cause too.
Thanks from:
11-03-2012, 16:02   #45
Slogger Jogger

Minor gripes aside (bus driver didn't know where the start was and it started late by about 1/4 hour) this was a great event. I believe the lead 2 runners did go astray so they must have taken their eye off the markings which I thought were top notch. Its a pity as Aengus Burke was running well at the front.

Perfect conditions today for it. Route was drier that I remember it. I found it tougher though than 2 years ago and struggled on the flatter roads (believe it or not). Finished in 1:41ish so happy with the time but there is room for improvement there.

A Ferns Sliabhe Buithe 1 and 3 I believe. David Leonard and Bernard Fortune. Not sure who was 2nd?
Ema Donlon was 1st lady home.

If you like your hill running you'd like this event.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion