vasectomy - Page 5 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-10-2011, 20:49   #61
Delancey
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipdog View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows the real rate of failure for it in Ireland. Looking it up online would put the fear of jaysus in you nothin but stories of pregnant American women all with snipped hubbies. I had it done 6 years ago and had a re-test last year just to be sure but any time herself is "late" (as she is at the moment) it really freaks me out. I asked the doc who did it what the fail rate was and he said in 20 odd years he never had a failure but there's always a first........

In fairness though its a great job, there's no loss of sex drive and I've never had any pain as a result of it.
Forgive the cynic in me but if I heard of a woman who has become pregnant despite her OH having a vasectomy my first thought would not be a failed surgical procedure....
Delancey is offline  
Advertisement
06-10-2011, 21:08   #62
goingpostal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IMF-land
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipdog View Post
Ya I think you're right and keep telling myself the chances of failing are realistically nil. Mine was done in Limerick Family Planning and the doc was an absolute gent and very professional but I still get a little concerned when she starts lookin at the calendar with a worried face!! We've 2 lovely kids I wouldn't give up for the world but I like the way life is now and wouldn't really want to go back to nappies and sleepless nights
The Internet can be as much of a hindrance as a help, when trying to get reliable info about vasectomy. I have read lots of rubbish about Post-Vasectomy-Pain-Syndrome, the vas deferens spontaneously rejoining, "successful" reversal operations etc. The way I think about it is, imagine getting a bicycle tube, cutting it and heat-sealing one of the cut ends of the tube. Now, try to reverse this destruction and recreate a bicycle tube that can hold air. Not very likely.
goingpostal is offline  
16-02-2012, 14:13   #63
Ayla
Registered User
 
Ayla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Over the hill and far away...
Posts: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadepsx View Post
can it be done on medical card
Sorry to dredge up an old(ish) thread but this is something my husband's just getting ready to do and I thought I'd answer this question for good.

After waiting over a year on the public system (and it'll be at least another year before my husband would have been seen) we started looking at private options. By contacting one surgery we found that there is a local system whereby if our GP sent in the referral, they'd check our medical card details & then request the vasectomy through a private clinic in the North. I have absolutely no idea how this cross-border system works but the initial consult/operation/follow up are completely covered under our medical card.

Hubby met w/ the urologist yesterday & will have the op in April sometime. He was suggested to take a full week off work (which was a big surprise to us both) and the op will be under general. The surgeon said he just prefers it this way & my husband said he was more comfortable with that as well.

As far as reversals go, the surgeon said the likelyhood of sucess decreases about 10% per year, but that's because the body's antibodies start fighting the sperm after they've been absent from the system. Just as well we're done with babies so reversal's not something we'd want.
Ayla is offline  
15-03-2012, 23:17   #64
paddymc1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 217
The snip

So been more or less told it tome to get the job done after number 4.
Is there other things out there yet or they still working on the male pill?
paddymc1 is offline  
16-03-2012, 06:56   #65
tbh
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddymc1 View Post
So been more or less told it tome to get the job done after number 4.
Is there other things out there yet or they still working on the male pill?
You're talking about a vasectomy.
tbh is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-03-2012, 18:01   #66
Panthro
Registered User
 
Panthro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Third Earth
Posts: 10,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbh View Post
You're talking about a vasectomy.
My bad, now moved to correct thread.
Panthro is offline  
15-04-2012, 21:34   #67
covey09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 91
Had it done last Thursday, most painful part want the first injections, but it was fine, took about 40 min. Bit of soreness but was very mild. Have to wait 16 wk before they verify the situation.
covey09 is offline  
22-04-2012, 09:31   #68
jayo2004
Registered User
 
jayo2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 332
Send a message via MSN to jayo2004
Vasectomy

Hi I am going into get a vasectomy on wednesday. I am starting to brick it now. I have to be in Kilkenny hospital at 8.30am and not collected till 1.30pm. I thought this was a 20 minute job with maybe an hour waiting after. Also If anyone had it done I am just wondering was it sore and to share any tips on recovery. By the way if anyone is getting this done don't watch the video of it being done like I did. It's on a doctor from kildare website. I won't post links for obvious reasons.

Last edited by jayo2004; 22-04-2012 at 09:34.
jayo2004 is offline  
22-04-2012, 09:37   #69
nanook
Registered User
 
nanook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,834
Send a message via ICQ to nanook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2004 View Post
Hi I am going into get a vasectomy on wednesday. I am starting to brick it now. I have to be in Kilkenny hospital at 8.30am and not collected till 1.30pm. I thought this was a 20 minute job with maybe an hour waiting after. Also If anyone had it done I am just wondering was it sore and to share any tips on recovery. By the way if anyone is getting this done don't watch the video of it being done like I did. It's on a doctor from kildare website. I won't post links for obvious reasons.
Had it done last year.

People really blow it out of a proportion. In my experience it was slightly uncomfortable for a day or so but no need for painkillers.

You will be grand, in relation to the time, I would say that is policey because of use of a local anaesthetic.
nanook is offline  
Advertisement
27-04-2012, 10:43   #70
Sparkyd2002
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2004 View Post
Hi I am going into get a vasectomy on wednesday. I am starting to brick it now. I have to be in Kilkenny hospital at 8.30am and not collected till 1.30pm. I thought this was a 20 minute job with maybe an hour waiting after. Also If anyone had it done I am just wondering was it sore and to share any tips on recovery. By the way if anyone is getting this done don't watch the video of it being done like I did. It's on a doctor from kildare website. I won't post links for obvious reasons.
so howd it go?
Sparkyd2002 is offline  
04-06-2012, 12:55   #71
BubbaWatson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Sorry to bump this, situation is with me I'm in LTR, dont want kids, herself doesn't either but she isn't 100% behind me getting a vasectomy yet.
I do think I make progress when I mentoin it, I dont talk about it every day I would only bring it up (haha) once in a while - she hasn;t outright said no, its more like we'll see.

Whats' the best way to convince her? I think the fact that its not invasive like getting her tubes tied is a plus. (Also she's not "baby crazy" thank f**k)
Any advice would be welcome.
 
05-06-2012, 22:44   #72
jayo2004
Registered User
 
jayo2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 332
Send a message via MSN to jayo2004
Here is my experience of it.
I was very nervous going down. Arrived at Kilkenny hospital and within half an hour was in gown ready for surgery. Nurses were very friendly but if I'm honest, if i was going to get it done again I would go private. I was waiting well over a year and it cost €70. Back to the surgery. Everyone says that their testicles are very sensitive but even the doctors were laughing at me. I was jumping just by him looking to see where he was going to give injection he even said I haven't done anything yet. I have to say that the injection was like a full force kick in the balls but after that you don't feel a thing. He Gave me injection in the right testical and after 10 mins was starting on the left one. I had to tell him to stop cause I could feel everything. He gave me another injection in left testical and I couldn't feel a thing after that. In my case the recovery was far from slight discomfort. My balls were the size of 2 tennis balls. If anyone is getting it done book a week off work just in case. You really have to rest after it. They gave me a jock strap to wear and it does help. It took me a full month to get rid of all discomfort. I heard some guys comparing it to the dentist. it just happened I had a wisdom tooth removed about 3 weeks after vasectomy and I have to say vasectomy was a lot worse. It is no comparison. Bottom line everyone is different and I hope I don't turn anyone off getting it done. My case was probably worse case scenario and even at that I would get it done again and I wouldnt be as nervous either.
jayo2004 is offline  
13-06-2012, 14:47   #73
Sparkyd2002
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2004 View Post
Here is my experience of it.
I was very nervous going down. Arrived at Kilkenny hospital and within half an hour was in gown ready for surgery. Nurses were very friendly but if I'm honest, if i was going to get it done again I would go private. I was waiting well over a year and it cost €70. Back to the surgery. Everyone says that their testicles are very sensitive but even the doctors were laughing at me. I was jumping just by him looking to see where he was going to give injection he even said I haven't done anything yet. I have to say that the injection was like a full force kick in the balls but after that you don't feel a thing. He Gave me injection in the right testical and after 10 mins was starting on the left one. I had to tell him to stop cause I could feel everything. He gave me another injection in left testical and I couldn't feel a thing after that. In my case the recovery was far from slight discomfort. My balls were the size of 2 tennis balls. If anyone is getting it done book a week off work just in case. You really have to rest after it. They gave me a jock strap to wear and it does help. It took me a full month to get rid of all discomfort. I heard some guys comparing it to the dentist. it just happened I had a wisdom tooth removed about 3 weeks after vasectomy and I have to say vasectomy was a lot worse. It is no comparison. Bottom line everyone is different and I hope I don't turn anyone off getting it done. My case was probably worse case scenario and even at that I would get it done again and I wouldnt be as nervous either.
Wow sounds like you had a bad experience. i had it done privately at 9am and was at work at 10. I found the most uncomfortable thing about the procedure was that jockstrap thingy lol. I guess your right we are all different. Sounds like u had it much tougher than me.
Sparkyd2002 is offline  
13-06-2012, 14:48   #74
Sparkyd2002
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaWatson View Post
Sorry to bump this, situation is with me I'm in LTR, dont want kids, herself doesn't either but she isn't 100% behind me getting a vasectomy yet.
I do think I make progress when I mentoin it, I dont talk about it every day I would only bring it up (haha) once in a while - she hasn;t outright said no, its more like we'll see.

Whats' the best way to convince her? I think the fact that its not invasive like getting her tubes tied is a plus. (Also she's not "baby crazy" thank f**k)
Any advice would be welcome.

So she doesnt want kids, u dont either and this will stop either of u having to use contraceptives. Why the heck aint she in favour of it?
Sparkyd2002 is offline  
14-06-2012, 13:34   #75
crabc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Longford
Posts: 8
Couldn't agree more sparky. Got mine done 6 years ago privately in Athlone . I booked an appointment for 7pm and was out by 7.30. No pain just slight discomfort for a few days and at work the following day. Biggest discomfort was itchiness while the pubes grew back after shaving.
crabc is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet