Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-02-2012, 19:31   #136
KingdomYid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziedth View Post
So I have been looking at the run in we have:

Arsenal A
Utd
Everton A
Stoke
Chelsea A
Swansea
Sunderland A
Norwich
Bolton A
QPR A
Blackburn
Villa A
Fulham

Far from an easy finish to the season but are last 5 games gives me great hope.

For a title bid we really are going to have to get 35/36 points from 39 available with a win against Utd. Stranger things have happened but I think that is a huge ask.

For 3rd or even 4th we need about 25/26 assuming that Arsenal, Chelsea or even Newcastle go on a serious run which one surely will. That really is just winning the games we "should" win and we'll be 95% there couple of draws against one of the better teams and we'll be over the line.

Personally, I would love to be within an outside chance of the title by the time we come into those final five games but we need some massive results between now and then. Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea and Swansea are all hard games and I wouldn't be confident of any of them but I think we could beat any of those teams on our day.

Gonna be exciting anyway.
My attitude is one game at a time, what will be will be
Advertisement
15-02-2012, 20:09   #137
ziedth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingdomYid View Post
My attitude is one game at a time, what will be will be
I have been known to overthink things
Thanks from:
15-02-2012, 21:07   #138
mushykeogh

We need to win 5 out of 6 home games. Achievable, and pick up two away wins and i think we will be in the champs league. I certainly think 70 point s guarantees champs league, 75 points should be enough for third. So 22 points from the remaining 13 games.
15-02-2012, 22:52   #139
2nd Row Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziedth View Post
So I have been looking at the run in we have:

Arsenal A 1pt
Utd 3pts
Everton A 1pt
Stoke 3pts
Chelsea A 1pt
Swansea 3pts

Sunderland A
Norwich
Bolton A
QPR A
Blackburn
Villa A
Fulham
I think we'd be doing extremely well to pick up the points I've mentioned above - 12 from 18 on offer and that means going unbeaten in the next 6 games and picking up points at the emirates, Stamford bridge and Goodison ... a tall order for any team.
15-02-2012, 23:34   #140
bradolf pittler

i'd just be happy with what we have.let the mancs battle it out for the title altho a slip up from either would be welcome,3rd place would be an amazing achievement and thats more or less in the bag....chelsea have to play city,arsenal and liverpool away aswell as ourselves and newcastle at home.....the gooners have ourselves,newcastle,city and chelsea at home and liverpool away in their remaining fixtures,all those games could go either way.
now 1 of them could move up a gear or 2 and challenge us for 3rd but for both of them to overtake us is virtually impossible,even if we only manage to get 20 points from the remaining 39 they'd have to get 31 points to take 3rd spot,cant see either of them being that consistant in the remaining games.
come on guys,a bit of optimism,we're nearly there...... we are 10 points clear ffs and im already looking forward to tues and wed night football again next season
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 09:20   #141
2nd Row Donkey

We've been is 3rd so long now that I'd be be disappointed if we didnt finish in 2nd place.

Dont get me wrong - 3rd place would be a fantastic achievement. (I didnt give us a hope of finishing top 6 at the start of the season), but that Man Utd team is the poorest Utd team in years and we really should be closer to them.
16-02-2012, 10:41   #142
tomo75

I'd take 3rd and the FA cup now. I can't see City/UTD (especially UTD if they get into the driving seat) letting the PL through their fingers at this stage.
16-02-2012, 11:25   #143
SuprSi

I would be absolutely over the moon with 3rd. It would be a terrific achievement for Spurs, having spent so little money over the past few seasons. Automatic qualification for the CL is a big thing really but it would be more than that. It would mean that Spurs were the only team outside of the two Manc clubs who were consistent enough throughout the season to stay near the top of the table. The only other team capable of mounting a title challenge throughout the season.

Remember, while we may have a better team in a lot of places than Utd, they know how to win and have a manager who has done it all before. City are there because of their players - we're there because of a great mix of players and the manager.

Let's see how we get on over the next few big games. I'd absolutely love us to beat Utd at home, seeing as they're the last of the big teams we haven't beaten of late. If that happens, who knows? Perhaps we could finish in 2nd place, or higher!
16-02-2012, 11:26   #144
KingdomYid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Row Donkey View Post
We've been is 3rd so long now that I'd be be disappointed if we didnt finish in 2nd place.

Dont get me wrong - 3rd place would be a fantastic achievement. (I didnt give us a hope of finishing top 6 at the start of the season), but that Man Utd team is the poorest Utd team in years and we really should be closer to them.
I dont agree with you there mate, if we finish 3rd it will be unbelievable and will mean group stages of the Champions League. Now dont get me wrong we could very well finish above United but I still think they might win it, given their experience in the run in.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 12:30   #145
ziedth

I think Utd are going to win it:

They have a much easier run in then any other team.

Tevez is poison and if he plays again for city I can imagine causing allot of hassle behind closed doors.

I just don't think City have the heart for it.
16-02-2012, 13:12   #146
Leinstersqspur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuprSi View Post
I would be absolutely over the moon with 3rd. - I'd absolutely love us to beat Utd at home, seeing as they're the last of the big teams we haven't beaten of late.
I agree, finishing 3rd is a massive achievement for Spurs given our wage structure and spending. It would be impossible to take any negatives from it.

However, for some reason beating United would make it all that much sweeter, even if we still came 3rd. They're the team we just cant beat (sometimes humiliatingly overturned or 'robbed'). We came close last season and I fancy us to do them this time......
16-02-2012, 13:21   #147
PogMoThoin
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinstersqspur View Post
I agree, finishing 3rd is a massive achievement for Spurs given our wage structure and spending. It would be impossible to take any negatives from it.

However, for some reason beating United would make it all that much sweeter, even if we still came 3rd. They're the team we just cant beat (sometimes humiliatingly overturned or 'robbed'). We came close last season and I fancy us to do them this time......
Knowing our luck against them we'll get Howard Webb and they'll get 2 peno's
28-02-2012, 22:59   #148
KingdomYid

Man we have to finish above the goons, they are all giving it heaps now that they beat us in one game. It will be so sweet to finish above them and ram it down their smug faces. COYS!!!!!!!!!
29-02-2012, 09:43   #149
Kiith

There's an Arsenal fan in work, who's really been rubbing it in. He's convinced (along with more people than i'd care to admit) that this is the beginning of our collapse. If we don't finish ahead of them....oh god it will suck.
29-02-2012, 10:04   #150
golfball37

Ade saying in yesterdays paper that we can still win the league.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion