Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-02-2012, 09:35   #16
thechanger
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggit View Post
hmm, only seen this thread now! Had my interview yesterday morning, interesting experience to say the least!

Now to play the waiting game for a couple of months...
Care to elaborate as a guide for next year's JETs.

Thanks
Advertisement
13-02-2012, 10:00   #17
funky penguin
Closed Account

Can't comment on leggit's experience, but I'll give you a quick version of mine.

Basically, every interview is different. There are about 4-5 rooms doing interviews and usually it will be three people, at least one of whom will be Japanese and at least one who will be Irish.

I did very little preparation for this (I generally don't for interviews, it can seem stiff and false....for ME anyway, other people thrive on 100% preparation).

The things I did prepare were:

Obviously, dressing appropriately.

Did a quick scan of important Japanese figureheads (name of PM and Emperor for example).

Quickly scanned Japanese news that morning for (then) current affairs.

Prepared a couple of questions. Here, they want to see you having done a least some research into schools and life in Japan. A bad question would be 'What sort of accommodation can I expect (every situation is different, so then can't properly ask it). On the other hand, I asked them how we fit into school life since we begin work in August, but the academic year begins in April.

Everything else is pretty much unpredictable. I got asked how I hoped the program would further my career, and what I saw myself doing after I came back to Ireland (which took me a little off guard).

What REALLY took me off guard was when I was asked if I would be scary for not only the kids, but also some female teachers! (I'm quite tall, beard, buzzcut, play rugby) Stammered my way through though.

If you read online tips for the JET interview (and there are quite a few), be careful of reports from other countries. The interviewers are (obviously) American, and thus may have a different approach to an Irish interviewer (or a South African, or a Canadian etc).
(2) thanks from:
13-02-2012, 14:58   #18
leggit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechanger View Post
Care to elaborate as a guide for next year's JETs.

Thanks
I had 3 people (2 girls, 1 guy), all Irish nationals funnily enough despite reading numerous times that one person would be japanese? One had Japanese heritage but was as Irish as a bowl of spuds!

got the usual questions, why Japan/Jet, what do you see yourself doing after Jet, how would you engage in your community.

strange questions were how would you explain that Ireland isn't England to a japanese child? Did I know the member of the Japanese royal family who studied in Ireland?

Didn't get the chance to ask questions.

Turned up 45 minutes early and was asked to go in straightaway! The male interviewer was more nervous than me which I found quite comforting!
13-02-2012, 21:55   #19
funky penguin
Closed Account

I'd be more concerned about telling them the difference between Ireland and Iceland. I'm blue in the face with it. :/
06-06-2012, 11:43   #20
Sairus

So by now virtually all of the placements have been given out for this year.

While not making the initial cut and placed down as an Alternative, I was recently upgraded to a full JET position and will be heading over in July to Yamanashi-ken.

Did anyone else on here grab a spot?
Advertisement
06-06-2012, 11:54   #21
funky penguin
Closed Account

Congratulations! Nice central area!
Thanks from:
10-06-2012, 23:48   #22
Canluum

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky penguin View Post
I'd be more concerned about telling them the difference between Ireland and Iceland. I'm blue in the face with it. :/
My mate's dad is Japanese... first time he came to Ireland in the 70's he brought his skis because he made that very mistake.
Thanks from:
11-06-2012, 07:10   #23
hibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairus View Post

While not making the initial cut and placed down as an Alternative, I was recently upgraded to a full JET position and will be heading over in July to Yamanashi-ken.

Well done on the upgrade! July is really soon, you'd better start packing!

I'll be in Yamanashi prefecture in July too. We're planning to try (again) to climb Mt Fuji.
18-06-2012, 12:20   #24
thechanger
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairus View Post

Congrads, please return with occasional updates throughout your stay in Japan. I plan to apply Dec 2012.
Advertisement
08-07-2012, 21:52   #25
keepkeyyellow

I know this is an old thread but I doubt there's any point in starting a new one since this forum is so small.

What I was wondering is how your grades are like? Cause I'm a bit worried that they'll see I had to repeat a year (really wasn't a good year for me) but I did do well in the repeat year so...
11-07-2012, 10:59   #26
just-joe

Don't think that would matter much, probably depends more on the rest of your application, the personal statement and extra curricular activities.
11-07-2012, 11:40   #27
funky penguin
Closed Account

Your impression in the Interview counts for so much. If they bring up your repeated year tell them how it was an opportunity for you to bounce back better than ever, learn from your mistakes etc.

But yeah, shouldn't be a big deal.
11-07-2012, 11:40   #28
funky penguin
Closed Account

Your impression in the Interview counts for so much. If they bring up your repeated year tell them how it was an opportunity for you to bounce back better than ever, learn from your mistakes etc.

But yeah, shouldn't be a big deal.
30-11-2012, 00:51   #29
sweetthing

Anybody applying this year? JUst putting my application in the post today - nerves
01-12-2012, 03:02   #30
Atavan-Halen
He Touched My Breast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetthing View Post
Anybody applying this year? JUst putting my application in the post today - nerves
Good luck with your application!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion