kumate_champ07 2 men enter, 1 man leave - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2012, 19:56   #1
kumate_champ07

kumate_champ07 2 men enter, 1 man leave

ok so here it is, my training log for 2012.

pre note: last year 2011 was my first year racing(got a road bike mid 2010)
started training at Sundrive velodrome in summer past, 3 weeks before the first league. hadn't done much training before that as I had a serious ankle injury. trained most Monday nights at Sundrive in C group, raced wed nights. week 4 I crashed and was out injured. that night I felt powerful and was ready to perform, I had to wait a while..

after my recovery I had a better fitting bike and started to get much faster and fitter. week 4 I was moved to B group and won 2 races that night. won B league with an anticlimax, trained wrong during the last 2 weeks and picked too large a gear for last night of racing and had bad luck almost crashed out in keirin as the group slowed down coming into the first corner. chased them down and finished 4th while still accelerating. I was a little down for the next few weeks even tho I achieved what I set out to do. (actually felt down for a while as it triggered a bit of depression but have sorted out things now)

watched the nationals a week or 2 later, specifically the match sprints. decided that day I wanted to be there next summer and win a medal.

goals for 2012: podium finish in national match sprint.
(unlikely to finish high in A league, too many very experienced cyclists, just want to not get dropped!) I wanted to do B league in 2012 but since I won that already I automatically get promoted

training: gym: weights, stretching
home: 500m, 1km tt's with kurt kinetic road machine and garmin 500
keirin training, recovery rides, self myofiscal release

sundrive: track work= pacing, standing starts, accelerations

nutrition/diet: brown breads, nuts, seeds, berries, oats, honey, 1.5L milk(quit in summer), 85% cocoa chocolate, cheese,lean meats, basmati rice, baked beans
couple of scoops of protein, 450mg magnesium, 50mg zinc, 500mg/1-2g vitamin c, multivitamin, 2-3litres water
(1 cheat day but no binges!)

gym: main work is deadlifts, clean and press & various versions of single legged press with supplementary exercises(instinctive training) 2-3 days per week.

had a problem with squats that will need to be addressed in future, possible asymmetrical imbalance in my physique, 1 shorter leg maybe, my Vastus lateralis(outer part of quads) begins 2 inches higher on right thigh. when I squat I feel off balance all the time, I struggle when I go heavy so that's an injury risk at the moment, deadlifts work fine tho.

*I completely changed my diet for 2012, gave up sweets, was a huge sugar addict partly due to medications, but also bad habits. feel much better now. gonna try Udos oil again soon

I will be logging my gym sessions here, TT data with HR, Lactic threshold etc,

Last edited by kumate_champ07; 11-01-2012 at 19:59.
Advertisement
11-01-2012, 20:16   #2
kumate_champ07

gym this evening. cycle there as warmup as per usual, 160bpm HR

deadlifts: 5sets x5reps @160kg, max HR 170.
last set I was tired, took a few seconds before last rep.
focused on power, lift quick, lower with control.

***leg press, 8 reps left , 8 reps right leg, 2-5 seconds rest between legs
weight in pounds
same as deadlifts, push very hard as quick as possible like a standing start, lower with control and dont bang the plates, soft touch at bottom then explode back up again

***(this was actually a leq squat machine where you push off a platform and my own weight of 258pounds wasnt included with below figures, the platform is flat so I can do it wearing socks, the leg press has a dimpled/grooved platform so I dont use that much anymore)
8x112
8x126
8x140

both legs, narrow stance
12x280
12x280
9x280
leg press max HR 162bpm

stretches, cycle home

great session, woke up at 6am and didn't take a nap today, found new energy in the evening.

leg press done 1 leg at a time is great for hip stability/power. deadlifts also really work the hips. Ive noticed alot more 'torque' in my legs since starting back at the gym. I can focus more on different leg muscle recruitment during my pedal stroke now

Last edited by kumate_champ07; 12-01-2012 at 02:35.
Thanks from:
13-01-2012, 11:43   #3
Ryder

This should be interesting......

When I started cycling seriously, I gave up all weights and really missed them. Now that I dont have the time to be serious, I have started back doing them at home. Would love a go at track racing in the future (when I get time)

If your squat is imbalanced, why not try single leg/bulgarian squats rather than the leg press? Will activate more stabilising muscles. Maybe throw in some gymball hamstring curls aswell

The clean and press is a great exercise......I do the dumbbell version. Might suggest some bent over rows aswell for balance.

Anyway...just my 2c...good luck
13-01-2012, 12:48   #4
levitronix

deadlift 160kg ? thats a huge deadlift
Thanks from:
14-01-2012, 13:39   #5
kumate_champ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
This should be interesting......

When I started cycling seriously, I gave up all weights and really missed them. Now that I dont have the time to be serious, I have started back doing them at home. Would love a go at track racing in the future (when I get time)

If your squat is imbalanced, why not try single leg/bulgarian squats rather than the leg press? Will activate more stabilising muscles. Maybe throw in some gymball hamstring curls aswell

The clean and press is a great exercise......I do the dumbbell version. Might suggest some bent over rows aswell for balance.

Anyway...just my 2c...good luck
you should give it a go some saturday morning, you can race in the summer and autumn leagues any wed night when you have your accreditation. its easy to get, just a matter of being safe on the track, takes a couple of hours in 1 session.

its fairly informal most of the time as in you dont have to race every week if you dont want to or have the time. wed night racing starts in May, first race at 7.15pm I think.

I did a wattbike session today as there was ice on the track, discovered my left leg is doing 52/53% of the work! so that confirms the imbalance. I will begin sets with the right leg first so its fresher, or take a longer rest between each side.

might do some single leg squats as Im not really a fan of machines, freeweights are so much better. I think cyclists use machines as injury risks can be lower. I dont believe in stability balls tho some people love them. I do everything in my socks.

bent over rows are great, might use them some of the days, I use them as a warm up sometimes.

I do Olympic press also if Im not doing clean and press, depends how my back is feeling.

my legs were tired today, did some sprint drills peaking at 1400+watts, I know I can hit higher and I didnt go 100%, maybe 98% and eased off at the end instead of trying to hold for longer

last drill was 212m with standing start,
12.95 seconds,
1000watts average(eased off at end before I hit stop button)
peak 1420
speed 65km/h(?)

(this is from memory, pretty sure numbers are 99% correct!, next week Ill take photos of the screen so I can take them back with me for logging, saves uses a pen and paper)

aiming for 1500watts in the next couple of weeks. 1800 is my goal for later in the year
Advertisement
14-01-2012, 13:44   #6
kumate_champ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by levitronix View Post
deadlift 160kg ? thats a huge deadlift
I suppose for a cyclist its alot. I got 220kg before I quit the gym a couple of years ago, had being doing deadlifts for 4-5months, that was 1 rep.

for deadlifts I'm doing 5x5 for the foreseeable future. was doing 8,6,4,2,1 the past 2 months but Ive had some 10day breaks which held me back from going over 210kg, trying to be consistent now.
14-01-2012, 17:12   #7
Beasty
Searchin' for segments ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumate_champ07 View Post
last drill was 212m with standing start,
12.95 seconds,
1000watts average(eased off at end before I hit stop button)
peak 1420
speed 65km/h(?)

(this is from memory, pretty sure numbers are 99% correct!, next week Ill take photos of the screen so I can take them back with me for logging, saves uses a pen and paper)
You can use the "recall" function to take down the details, or if you take your own computer you can download the Wattbike software and the download your data

You can also set up custom workouts, based on time or distance - this would then cut the session at 200m (my best is 11.96s by the way!! (but it was a flying 200 (and power was only around 800w or so iirc)))
Thanks from:
14-01-2012, 18:01   #8
Harrybelafonte

Quote:

***(this was actually a leq squat machine where you push off a platform and my own weight of 258pounds wasnt included with below figures, the platform is flat so I can do it wearing socks, the leg press has a dimpled/grooved platform so I dont use that much anymore)
8x112
8x126
8x140

both legs, narrow stance
12x280
12x280
9x280
leg press max HR 162bpm

stretches, cycle home
Is that one of these?

14-01-2012, 18:10   #9
kumate_champ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
You can use the "recall" function to take down the details, or if you take your own computer you can download the Wattbike software and the download your data

You can also set up custom workouts, based on time or distance - this would then cut the session at 200m (my best is 11.96s by the way!! (but it was a flying 200 (and power was only around 800w or so iirc)))
thanks, ye I noticed the recall function but all Ive done is 'go for a ride', Ill look into it deeper the next time. Ill have a look at the manual online. that wattbike doesnt seem to get used much, Ill try use it every so often for comparison. got a garmin 500 now with the cadence sensor so can use it with a turbo. Ill be able to directly convert speed to power as it calibrated very well

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/documents..._Curves419.pdf

its my 'budget wattbike'!
Advertisement
14-01-2012, 18:11   #10
kumate_champ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrybelafonte View Post
Is that one of these?

ye thats pretty much it
14-01-2012, 18:49   #11
Harrybelafonte

Quote:
ye thats pretty much it
Hah, have to laugh, I'm sore for three days now after pushing 145kg with BOTH my legs.
14-01-2012, 20:37   #12
levitronix

Quote:
I suppose for a cyclist its alot. I got 220kg before I quit the gym a couple of years ago, had being doing deadlifts for 4-5months, that was 1 rep.

for deadlifts I'm doing 5x5 for the foreseeable future. was doing 8,6,4,2,1 the past 2 months but Ive had some 10day breaks which held me back from going over 210kg, trying to be consistent now.
theres me thinking 90kg squats was psuhing it at a 76kg weight and thinking my 1140 watts for 10s was getting somewhere
04-02-2012, 00:04   #13
kumate_champ07

started to use the kurt kinetic road machine with garmin 500, getting a dedicated turbo bike set up next week. been experimenting with a few things, trying to find my optimum power cadence for sprinting and for 500m tt. basically lots of messing about, trying to profile my current ability and get a better training plan. will put it here in a few weeks.

Ive misplaced my diary, last deadlift session went up to 162.5kg 5x5, next will be 165kg 5x5. Im expecting to hit 180kg 5x5 before the end of the month.
havent been going to the gym enough but did alot of bike work recently.

wed 1st 2012

Olympic press (from the floor for 1st rep of a set)

5x62.5kg
5x62.5kg
5x62.5kg
5x62.5kg
seemed too easy, gonna rest more between sets and lift heavier

incline machine squat,
12x126lbs
8x140lbs
6x154lbs

both legs
10x280lbs
10x280lbs
10x280lbs

without my gym diary I didnt know what I had done previously, didnt have time to check here. my legs havent felt this sore in years, they feel great on the bike but horrible when walking. I pushed them too hard at the gym, or maybe I just havent been pushing them hard enough all along. probably the latter. gonna increase protein intake too

2/2/2012 35km recovery ride
3/2/2012 30km recovery ride
Thanks from:
13-02-2012, 18:05   #14
kumate_champ07

update,
possibility of medal in match sprint= close to zero

theres just too many other experienced riders, some with euro/world medals, and first year in seniors this year will be Eoin Mullen

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-n...rld-cup-debut/

Eoin is on my team, havent met him yet as he has been away on a UCI scholarship. last years national sprint champ Donal Bailey has moved to our team. All I can do is work my hardest, since its only my 2nd year I still have a few more years of improvement. Im gonna find it hard to get onto the sprint team, we will have 2 teams I think so more than likely Ill be on team b.

all my lifts have gone up, last Wednesday did alot of deadlift sets, did some 200kg singles and finished with 210kg. made the mistake of eating a load of brown bread 30mins before the gym, my belly swelled up soon after when I drank water!

Im moving all my bike tools and training gear back to my parents place in Kildare, theres a massive garage I can train in. living in a studio apartment(flat) with so much stuff isnt ideal, my quality of life is being effected so Im trying to freshen things up. I havent used my kurt kinetic in a while, It will be nice to have it set up somewhere permanently and not have to worry about it getting in the way. also theres nice big speakers so I can train loud!

I asked my dad about doing some moto pacing with him on his motorbike, I could draft behind him at 70+ km/h and do some speed work. we'll have to work out safety aspects first.

got another track frame, I dont trust the aluminum on the roads under my weight so I went for some good old 1970's east German steel! so I have that for road/turbo, my BeOne for training on the track and my Look for racing. Im just waiting on a bottom bracket for the BeOne so the Look is being used at the moment.
Thanks from:
13-02-2012, 21:16   #15
Harrybelafonte

Quote:

I asked my dad about doing some moto pacing with him on his motorbike, I could draft behind him at 70+ km/h and do some speed work. we'll have to work out safety aspects first.
Don't forget Saturday mornings, they'll have the derny out soon enough I'd hope, though with the weather as it is there's a very low turn out every Saturday.

Also, is Eoin definitely coming back for the seasons here?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion