Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-02-2012, 08:02   #16
RopeDrink
SpamBlammer 2000

Seperate tip, try turning the game volume down if you're doing commentary, can't hear a word you're saying.

Visually it doesn't seem worth the effort what you're doing though that may be the whole 3D thing. If I just click to watch it on the actual YouTube page it doesn't look good at all - Makes it look like you recorded on 800x600 THEN ballooned it up into a bigger resolution, pixels everywhere. EDIT: I take that back, looks nice at 1080p but seems to be way too much hassle when you could achieve the same results through easier means. Are you playing at that 3k+ Res? Seems very excessive and having to record at that res means monstrously disgusting huge files, must be about 4gigs per 25seconds... I squeeze out 55-60seconds per 4gigs at 1920x1080 - No wonder your compression takes forever

MP4... I never use it... F4V (H.264 codec) is what I use, compresses it nice and small (Setting dependant) and the quality is suprisingly good despite being quite a fast job.

Latest vid is an SF4 vid, a 4 game casual set with a mate. If I watch at 1080p (1920x1080) it literally almost looks exactly how it does when you're playing the game - You physically have to be looking for quality defects to see them.

Only issue with that is the defects are very noticeable when watching on anything other than it's true resolution, but still very watchable - The filzesizes are also moderate, as opposed to small, so slow connections will suffer...

But let's face it, who hasn't got big meg broadband at this stage in time?

Last edited by RopeDrink; 11-02-2012 at 08:50.
Advertisement
11-02-2012, 19:36   #17
gazzamc

I've fixed the mic volume since part 4 (1 - 4 was one session).. now it's about the same level as the game.. but i don't talk during cut scenes anyway..

Yes the raw file size is massive, about 4GB per 90 sec .. which comes up to about 56GB per 25 min video..

I chose Mp4 (libx264, 3200k /s & libfaac, 96k) bcuz it gave me a massive reduction is size and kept the video close to it's quality.. it's about 600Mb.

Here's a few screens (from Vlc, bare in mind it's scaled to 1080p as it's in full screen).

Original Avi:

Mp4:

I'm playing at 1080p but since it's in 3D it's generating the image twice and overlapping... fraps captures both images side by side tho..

I'm gonna have a look into F4V and see if it produces better results..

Unfortunately down here in the southwest big meg broadband isn't available.. i on a 4Mb connect down and 1Mb up... and it's basically the same price (if not more) as half the 20 Meg connection in the cities or abroad.. robbery..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeDrink View Post
Seperate tip, try turning the game volume down if you're doing commentary, can't hear a word you're saying.

Visually it doesn't seem worth the effort what you're doing though that may be the whole 3D thing. If I just click to watch it on the actual YouTube page it doesn't look good at all - Makes it look like you recorded on 800x600 THEN ballooned it up into a bigger resolution, pixels everywhere. EDIT: I take that back, looks nice at 1080p but seems to be way too much hassle when you could achieve the same results through easier means. Are you playing at that 3k+ Res? Seems very excessive and having to record at that res means monstrously disgusting huge files, must be about 4gigs per 25seconds... I squeeze out 55-60seconds per 4gigs at 1920x1080 - No wonder your compression takes forever

MP4... I never use it... F4V (H.264 codec) is what I use, compresses it nice and small (Setting dependant) and the quality is suprisingly good despite being quite a fast job.

Latest vid is an SF4 vid, a 4 game casual set with a mate. If I watch at 1080p (1920x1080) it literally almost looks exactly how it does when you're playing the game - You physically have to be looking for quality defects to see them.

Only issue with that is the defects are very noticeable when watching on anything other than it's true resolution, but still very watchable - The filzesizes are also moderate, as opposed to small, so slow connections will suffer...

But let's face it, who hasn't got big meg broadband at this stage in time?

Last edited by gazzamc; 11-02-2012 at 19:38.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion