Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-02-2012, 08:58   #1
cormie

@Mentions

Just thought this could come in really handy, it works well on facebook from what I've experienced.

Basically if you were to make a post and were referring to somebody, you could notify them of the post by simply putting for example, @cormie, and it would just be a link to my profile and then I'd get an email saying I was mentioned in a post.

Maybe it could be limited to once per thread or something like that but I reckon it could be very useful if it wasn't abused.

Seems to be mods in place for it by the way: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...thin-Vbulletin

Advertisement
10-02-2012, 11:26   #2
Boards.ie: Danny
Closed Account

No point in linking to a vBulletin plugin, the vBulletin platform is dead to us now; we're moving away from it.

It is a good suggestion though, and one we'll bear in mind for future development - thanks @cormie ....
10-02-2012, 16:07   #3
cormie

Moving away from VB, really? What will you be moving to for the main forum? I thought VB were the best in terms of discussion forum software?
10-02-2012, 16:16   #4
Gordon
Administrator

Admin: Prison
Uh oh, don't get Danny started! I guess it all boils down to the definition of 'best' and how that applies to massive sites like boards!
Thanks from:
10-02-2012, 16:17   #5
Closed Account

Is there a best? I don't think so. Is there a "best for our needs"? Yeah. And vBulletin isn't it for us anymore.

We're moving over to our own platform with our own code. For a few more limited details see here
Advertisement
10-02-2012, 16:29   #6
cormie

Ah cool too much reading in that post so I'll take your word

You think @mentions might be possible to throw into that?
10-02-2012, 16:35   #7
Closed Account

Well it'll be talked about when we make our move, so no promises or anything except to consider it
10-02-2012, 16:53   #8
cormie

No problem, give me a @mention if it ever happens
10-02-2012, 17:00   #9
Gordon
Administrator

Maybe the new search could handle such queries. If you made a mention look like @[cormie] (as you have to account for usernames with spaces) then maybe the search could be configured for this and an option in your CP of 'search for your mentions'. The search would just search every instance of "@[cormie]" maybe?

And if, to create a mention, when typing @[ the text box started flipping through names like it does when you use advanced search, on the 'search posts by user..' field, that'd be cool. Or maybe just a clickybutton you hit on the quick reply text box, like the hyperlink box.
Advertisement
10-02-2012, 17:02   #10
cormie

Sorry Gordon, not sure if you're suggesting a method to Danny for future implementation, or suggesting a way it can be achieved with the current software?
10-02-2012, 17:06   #11
Gordon
Administrator

I've no idea, just making a suggestion! Thinking about it more, though, I can see it causing social issues, and hijinx!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion