chain saw - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-02-2012, 17:46   #1
cena
Banned

chain saw

I recently looked at my fathers chain saw its a stihl farmboy. its not been used in about tens or more. Would it be a good idea to start it. Is it a good model.

Also how do you do the fuel mixer.

I was also in the local woods and I noticed loads of tree left around that were cut down when I was younger. Can some one go in and cut them up. They are pretty big logs and loads are been covered by grass thats growing around them

Last edited by cena; 06-02-2012 at 17:55.
Advertisement
07-02-2012, 14:26   #2
kay 9

Send a message via MSN to kay 9 Send a message via Yahoo to kay 9
Never heard of a farm boy, possibly a farm boss ms 290. If so they are a good saw. As for going into a local forestry and cutting timber it's not allowed. Unless it's a private wood and you get permission. Hope that helps, oh 40:1 mix for that saw should be ok. Just do usual checks first, as in clean air filter empty old fuel if any in it and maybe a carb clean but see how it runs first.
Thanks from:
07-02-2012, 17:54   #3
peter o reilly

Cena its a farm boss you have and after been lying wont start that easy you will have to have carb cleaned ,new spark plug ect but they are a great saw
Thanks from:
07-02-2012, 22:36   #4
tommy2bad

Take it for a service, stihl are a good brand and it will be worth the 50 euro to get it checked and running.
Thanks from:
07-02-2012, 23:15   #5
garbarrage

At that age it's most likely an 029, nearly the same as a MS290. The fuel mixture for all Stihl saws is 50:1, unless you believe what some are saying about additives in the fuel, in which case, its one shot to 4 1/2litres of petrol. I've still been running at 50:1 daily for the last 2 years and had no problems.

The 038 and 039 also carried the name Farm Boss for a while, and I think possibly one of the 04 series. IMO they are all good saws so get it running and you are on to a winner. Couldn't say which one you have without seeing a photo of it. Either way, take it to a shop and they'll have it running for you in no time.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 11:37   #6
cena
Banned

Ya ye are right is a farm boss. It does not have the safety cut off this where hand does by in the newer chain saw. I got it started one and all I could remember was been in the woods with my dad over 20years ago cutting trees down for the local saw mill.

I do I get the right fuel mix. Where could I go to use it just to have ago with it.

I can put up a photo later if ye want
08-02-2012, 15:28   #7
tommy2bad

Did it start easy or did you prime the carb with some petrol?
Youll get the mix in most hardware stores, woodies even. Two stroke oil for a chainsaw is the stuff your looking for.
Youll manage with out the chain brake, just be careful, I know you would be anyway.
Get some steel toe caps and a face guard for the hard hat, dust an chips do blow into eyes.
08-02-2012, 19:34   #8
cena
Banned

I put a small bit of petrol in the carb. It started after a few goes.
08-02-2012, 19:35   #9
garbarrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cena View Post
Ya ye are right is a farm boss. It does not have the safety cut off this where hand does by in the newer chain saw. I got it started one and all I could remember was been in the woods with my dad over 20years ago cutting trees down for the local saw mill.

I do I get the right fuel mix. Where could I go to use it just to have ago with it.

I can put up a photo later if ye want
Love to see a photo of it. You used a chainsaw before? If not I'd give it a miss if it doesn't have a chainbrake. If you ignore this and I feel you probably will, get some proper chainsaw boots and some chainsaw pants. Beg, borrow, or steal them if you have to. Kick-back on those older saws can be particularly brutal.

Consider getting yourself on a chainsaw course. These guys offer FREE chainsaw safety workshops and are well worth taking the time: http://www.treecareireland.com/workshops.asp
Kev is a top bloke and will show you how to get the most out of it. And how to service it and properly sharpen it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 21:22   #10
cena
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbarrage View Post
Love to see a photo of it. You used a chainsaw before? If not I'd give it a miss if it doesn't have a chainbrake. If you ignore this and I feel you probably will, get some proper chainsaw boots and some chainsaw pants. Beg, borrow, or steal them if you have to. Kick-back on those older saws can be particularly brutal.

Consider getting yourself on a chainsaw course. These guys offer FREE chainsaw safety workshops and are well worth taking the time: http://www.treecareireland.com/workshops.asp
Kev is a top bloke and will show you how to get the most out of it. And how to service it and properly sharpen it.
To be honest I've a cousin that works for thw esb that cuts trees down lives down the road from me. I could ask him to have a look at the saw for me. I live near murrays saw mill in ballygar. So alot of the lads around here at one time would of worked in the woods cutting down the trees.
08-02-2012, 22:08   #11
cena
Banned

Attachment 192026

2012-02-08-001.jpg

2012-02-08-003.jpg

2012-02-08-004.jpg

2012-02-08-005.jpg

Hope ye like them
Thanks from:
09-02-2012, 14:55   #12
teepee

Question .
  1. Wheres the Chain break
  2. The chain cacher .
  3. Has it anti vib .
No chain break no work , no chain cacher no work .
Looks a leathal machine to use when you take in the saftey consideration in . Lovely looking saw thou , its fit for the mantle piece .
T
09-02-2012, 19:34   #13
garbarrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by teepee View Post
Question .
  1. Wheres the Chain break
  2. The chain cacher .
  3. Has it anti vib .
No chain break no work , no chain cacher no work .
Looks a leathal machine to use when you take in the saftey consideration in . Lovely looking saw thou , its fit for the mantle piece .
T
There's no problem using that saw for personal use. The only problem would be if you provide it to somebody who works for you, as in that situation it's not "fit for purpose". The legislation is purely H&S employment law.

Not really recommended for someone with little or no prior chainsaw experience though as there are newer models available that are a little bit "safer". It's not even the lack of chain-brake I'd be concerned about. It's the lack of inertia Brake. The one that engages the chainbrake in the event of severe kickback.

Lovely looking saw though, been a while since I've seen one of them in action.
09-02-2012, 22:09   #14
kay 9

Send a message via MSN to kay 9 Send a message via Yahoo to kay 9
Fine saw. Looks like it's older than an 029. Make sure you don;t take too much off them rakers without a chainbrake though
10-02-2012, 01:25   #15
cena
Banned

There is no chain break on it like the ones you can buy these days it's that old. Can a chain break be fitted.

I have a feeling it's a 041 model from the vids on YouTube. I could be wrong.

Last edited by cena; 10-02-2012 at 02:05.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion