Annoying popup advert survey spam- Please eliminate it - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

02-02-2012, 16:26   #1
psychward
Closed Account

Annoying popup advert survey spam- Please eliminate it

Lads. It's a slippery slope from being a fantastic site to becoming one that people get sick of. Please eliminate inelegant aggressive pushy user-unfriendly popup spam like this . I have closed that popup survey 10 times already today. I ain't taking the survey- ever! No way will I give into aggressive spammy tactics like this. Even if someone took the survey this would not make the popup go away either. It's like continuing to kick someone in the face after they submit and hand you the match victory. And for those who click NO to close the popup it's an insult to keep it coming at them again and again straight after they close it. It's never good to insult the customer , right ?????
This persistent popup destroys the user experience. I like adverts.ie and want it to prosper so I'm just saying like - don't fupp up a good thing by getting arrogant. Theres plenty other ways to introduce advertising without being stupid and aggressive about it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-02-2012, 16:35   #2
campo

Before that popup can be removed would you mind answering the following questions

Where did you hear about this forum
Are you also a member of boards.ie
who do you use are your broadband provider
do you own a Iphone
Where do you shop.....................
(2) thanks from:
02-02-2012, 16:50   #3
Adverts.ie: Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychward View Post
Lads. It's a slippery slope from being a fantastic site to becoming one that people get sick of. Please eliminate inelegant aggressive pushy user-unfriendly popup spam like this . I have closed that popup survey 10 times already today. I ain't taking the survey- ever! No way will I give into aggressive spammy tactics like this. Even if someone took the survey this would not make the popup go away either. It's like continuing to kick someone in the face after they submit and hand you the match victory. And for those who click NO to close the popup it's an insult to keep it coming at them again and again straight after they close it. It's never good to insult the customer , right ?????
This persistent popup destroys the user experience. I like adverts.ie and want it to prosper so I'm just saying like - don't fupp up a good thing by getting arrogant. Theres plenty other ways to introduce advertising without being stupid and aggressive about it.
Hi Psychward,
If you tick on the "x" icon, the window will not pop up again.
Unless you are using an incognito window?
Thanks,
Claire
02-02-2012, 18:28   #4
BengaLover

Its an important survey that looks like someone in higher places is thinking of doing things with Adverts, so if you give your opinion on what they are asking then maybe you could contribute to the decision made, as far as I could make out it was about advertisements on adverts, what type of ads you wanted/dont want to see/click etc..
02-02-2012, 20:06   #5
Kenny Logins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adverts.ie: Claire View Post
Hi Psychward,
Thanks,
Claire
It does. I have it popping up on every advert, and it is bloody annoying.

I said no once, that should be enough.
Advertisement
02-02-2012, 21:52   #6
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Are you blocking cookies from adverts? Are you logged in when they appear?
02-02-2012, 23:15   #7
psychward
Closed Account

Quote:
Hi Psychward,
Thanks,
Claire
Hi Claire. I was using Internet Explorer on several desktop computers in UCD and also Opera and Chrome on my laptop. And the nagging popup simply would not go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaLover View Post
Its an important survey that looks like someone in higher places is thinking of doing things with Adverts, so if you give your opinion on what they are asking then maybe you could contribute to the decision made, as far as I could make out it was about advertisements on adverts, what type of ads you wanted/dont want to see/click etc..
I told those higher up what I thought about certain types of adverts by clicking 'x' to close the survey. Unfortunately it's a bit like Lisbon Treaty Mark 2 . Someone higher up is deciding that my NO is not acceptable or respected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Logins View Post
It does. I have it popping up on every advert, and it is bloody annoying.

I said no once, that should be enough.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Are you blocking cookies from adverts? Are you logged in when they appear?

No . I am blocking nothing concerning adverts but this type of spam advertising is usually what will get people started adding certain parts of the site to their block lists. Saving adverts from such a fate, a site which I enjoy is one of my motivations for giving some feedback here. And yes I have gotten this annoying popup several times when both logged in and not logged in. As a result I have a kind of feeling that I have been spending slightly less time perusing adverts than usual.

Last edited by psychward; 02-02-2012 at 23:18.
02-02-2012, 23:22   #8
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Quote:
Hi Psychward,
Thanks,
Claire
Nope, I'm getting the same, - have done that, logged in and all permissions / cookies are good, it won't go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychward View Post
No . I am blocking nothing concerning adverts but this type of spam advertising is usually what will get people started adding certain parts of the site to their block lists. And I have gotten them when both logged in and not logged in. Saving adverts from such a fate, a site which I enjoy is one of my motivations for giving some feedback here.
Apologies on behalf of adverts.ie - all I can say is this is not the intended behaviour for the notice.
03-02-2012, 18:20   #9
keyboardcook

I use RSS feed bookmarked in my toolbar. I am sick to death that everytime I click on a new feed, I get the pop up.

I would say sort it, or goodbye adverts. I can go anywhere on the net for cheap junket marketing.

Click the red button here I com.....

Browser: Firefox 9.01

Might be worth all who have problems to list their OS's and browsers. Might just show where the culprit lies!!!!

Last edited by keyboardcook; 03-02-2012 at 18:22.
Advertisement
06-02-2012, 09:39   #10
Adverts.ie: Claire

Hi All,
Apologies for the inconvenience caused to a few of you.
We checked all servers and it worked fine when clicking on the red button,so it was a complicated one to fix.
But I have good news: The survey is gone
And you never know, you may win the one for all voucher!
Thanks for your feedback and apologies again,

Claire
Thanks from:
06-02-2012, 12:56   #11
psychward
Closed Account

Hey I'm glad the survey is gone but no need for anyone to apologise really just so long as my point was understood Actions speak louder than words as they say
In the end when a fantastic site like adverts goes down the road of annoying popups it is just letting itself down and I posted my view just out of concern because I like it there, have built up a nice reputation as a good buyer/seller and don't want it to shoot itself in the foot and become a lot less popular and busy if people (including myself) migrate to a site which is easier on the eyes and fingers...
06-02-2012, 13:44   #12
Dublin_Gunner

Phew!

Just found this thread as that popup was driving me crazy over the weekend!

Cheers for fixing it (I took the full survey, and the damn thing still kept popping up!)
Forum Closed