Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-01-2012, 20:38   #1
Mario007

Tales of the Abyss

I just picked this game up for my 3DS two days ago and I haven't seen a thread here about it so I decided to make one.

First off, this is my first Tales of game so my standards for the series may be lower than what some of the veterans here might be expecting from the series. Having said that though, I'm really enjoying it so far. It reminds me a bit of the FF from PSOne era in a nostalgic sort of way.

The combat feels pretty fluid and fun. I really haven't had a full chance to play around with the various Cores and abilities (and I suspect I won't until my second playthrough) but it seems like there's a nice bit of depth to character leveling and progression.

Storywise it seems solid so far. I'm only around three hours in. I hate Luke and I'm pretty sure the developers wanted me to hate him. Rest of the cast seems pretty solid and the voice acting is actually quite good (well apart from MEU, who I guess was meant to be annoying). As a JRPG player I can obviously see the cliches of amnesia etc but I'm actually interested to see where the plot is progressing.

So far, I like the game and hope it continues to deliver for me. If it does then I will seriously be thinking about buying Tales of Innocence F on ps3 later this year and hope that Namco bites through the Microsoft money and brings Vesperia to PS3 as well.

What do you guys think of it?
Advertisement
14-01-2012, 22:22   #2
megaten

I beat the ps2 original and I'm slowly making my way through the 3DS version. I thought it was quite good. I know luke is meant to be unlikable but I kept playing abyss when other tales games I've played have bored me in the first five hours.
On Tales of graces F the story's meant to be naff because the protagonists are kids but supposedly the fighting is some the best the series ever seen.
15-01-2012, 10:17   #3
martineatworld

Mind if I ask where did you get it? Been looking for it for ages.
15-01-2012, 14:49   #4
megaten

It's sold out most places online but there copies knocking about in gamestops. There's going to be a reprint this month too.
15-01-2012, 14:59   #5
Mario007

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaten View Post
I beat the ps2 original and I'm slowly making my way through the 3DS version. I thought it was quite good. I know luke is meant to be unlikable but I kept playing abyss when other tales games I've played have bored me in the first five hours.
On Tales of graces F the story's meant to be naff because the protagonists are kids but supposedly the fighting is some the best the series ever seen.
I think it's the fact that Luke is such a prick that makes you play more and more. As I've said I'm only at the start but stuff like Spoiler: luke being scared of killing people really develop the character nicely and I look forward to seeing more of such developments.

Oh damn, having kids as protagonist doesn't sound very appealing but will give the game a try. Hopefully they bring Xillia over, there was some serious hype in Japan about it.

@martineatworld: I bought it at gamestop in Midleton and they had lots of copies there. I know I searched for it in cork and only gamestop planned to have the game within a few weeks.
Advertisement
15-01-2012, 18:18   #6
Sephiroth_dude
One Winged Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaten View Post
Was the ps2 version released in europe?I don't think it was ?
15-01-2012, 20:20   #7
Retr0gamer

Nope, never got an EU release.
15-01-2012, 20:39   #8
megaten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_dude View Post
Was the ps2 version released in europe?I don't think it was ?
I modded my ps2.
15-01-2012, 20:49   #9
Sephiroth_dude
One Winged Angel

ah sweet,wish I'd done the same
Advertisement
26-01-2012, 20:22   #10
dmcdante

i am around 12 hours in and loving it its a good reason to have a 3DS its the only game i played that the 3D really looks great and Luke is just a legend just love it when he goes on his rants ands starts kicking the crap out of Meu
27-01-2012, 00:05   #11
Mr Trade In

Guy is one of the funniest characters I have every come across. Weirdest one too.
31-01-2012, 11:23   #12
Sephiroth_dude
One Winged Angel

I seen this on the us psn think I might get
31-01-2012, 13:54   #13
Retr0gamer

It's worth noting that the PS2 game has some god awful load times so might be worth getting the 3DS version.
31-01-2012, 16:28   #14
megaten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_dude View Post
I seen this on the us psn think I might get
Go for the 3ds version if you have one. The frame rate in the world map can go into single digits.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion