Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-01-2012, 12:09   #1
mynameissarah

Leap Card - On-line top-up issues

Hi guys,

Sorry, I am aware that there is a Leap Card thread but my question's getting a little lost in it so I really need to put it here.

Has anyone experienced severe delays when topping up their leap card online? I know of someone having to wait almost 6 days for €50 top up to come through and I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue?

Thanks.
Advertisement
26-01-2012, 13:44   #2
Victor

It takes up to 48 hours for it to get to the pick-up point (this time will reduce).

Make sure you get the cashier to press the "Check balance" button.
27-01-2012, 13:01   #3
ncan

I topped up Sunday and still hasn't come through.
Apparently irish rail having probs with their systems.
If you ask me the whole system is flawed. The credit should go through straight away not in 48hrs time (what use is that?) and in my case still no sign over 5 days later. It has meant buying separate return tics at extra expense.
Also, because I won't now be able to collect the top up within 7 days it will be refunded to my bank account and I'll have to start again. And if I top up today there's no guarantee I'll have credit when I next need to (Monday). That's assuming my purchase is refunded due to the technical issues.
How the hell Leap explain how the system works (or is supposed to work) is beyond me...
And they spent (apparently) around €50m developing this useless system - jollies to faraway places (aka fact finding missions) to see how to do it. Well that was a complete waste of money.
27-01-2012, 13:25   #4
n97 mini

I've heard the reason why it takes so long is that the systems are not linked, and the process is being done manually.

A Leap staff member gets print-outs from the Leap card system with numbers and amounts to top up by, and then sends the print-outs via An Post to IE and Luas staff so that they can enter them into their system manually.
(2) thanks from:
27-01-2012, 14:21   #5
ncan

You just couldn't make it up!
Advertisement
27-01-2012, 16:06   #6
Dravokivich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncan View Post
You just couldn't make it up!
He did, that's sarcasm.
27-01-2012, 18:11   #7
goingnowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by n97 mini View Post
I've heard the reason why it takes so long is that the systems are not linked, and the process is being done manually.

A Leap staff member gets print-outs from the Leap card system with numbers and amounts to top up by, and then sends the print-outs via An Post to IE and Luas staff so that they can enter them into their system manually.
Given Irish Rail use a website provided by LEAP to handle refunds on Irish Rail Leap journeys, this is bull.

I've had top ups go through in under 24 hours
27-01-2012, 18:49   #8
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingnowhere View Post
Given Irish Rail use a website provided by LEAP to handle refunds on Irish Rail Leap journeys, this is bull.

I've had top ups go through in under 24 hours
Could they have used a courier?

Why don't top-ups would go through in a matter of seconds if systems are linked? "Under 24 hours" is laughable.
Thanks from:
27-01-2012, 19:52   #9
Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncan View Post
Apparently irish rail having probs with their systems.
What have you heard?
Quote:
The credit should go through straight away not in 48hrs time (what use is that?)
Like banking, a batch process is being used. A cheque can take 5 days to clear in a bank.
Quote:
in my case still no sign over 5 days later.
Where and how have you tried to collect it? As you go through the ticket barriers, it should be added.
Quote:
jollies to faraway places (aka fact finding missions) to see how to do it. Well that was a complete waste of money.
In the context of things, an irrelevant amount fo money.
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 11:23   #10
Technocentral

Just topped up online for the first time this morning (for LUAS), anyone know if it will be available in the next hour or so or is it still at least 24 hours?
Also does it show up when you check your online account when it has been applied?

Last edited by Technocentral; 20-02-2012 at 11:29.
Thanks from:
20-02-2012, 12:37   #11
Jehuty42
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by n97 mini View Post
Where did you hear that?
20-02-2012, 13:01   #12
wile1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocentral View Post
Also does it show up when you check your online account when it has been applied?
Yes, though again it might take a day or two to show up on the history once collected.

Re other experiences, I topped up by a fiver last week and it went through after a day or so. What happened to me however was a change of plans - I had some Luas trips to do before reaching my 'nominated pickup point' of a DART gate so I topped up with cash at a Luas no problem, travelled on that, and when I next used the DART my online fiver was there waiting for me.

In short, I don't like nominating my collection point as I take Luas / Dart / cycle to work all rather randomly, and a little hard to judge if it takes up to 48 hours to process. I hope that requirement disappears soon. But I do like having fewer prepaid cards in my pocket (was DB/Luas/Dart/Dublin bikes... now down to just Leap/Dublin bikes! )
Thanks from:
20-02-2012, 20:07   #13
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
A cheque can take 5 days to clear in a bank.
That's completely different. For starters the funds are removed from the account the instant the cheque is cashed. While the money is "in limbo" they use it for all sorts of investments etc. It's liquid cash to the bank.

This is the way it has always been. It takes 5 days because the bank wants to use it for those 5 days.
26-08-2012, 13:20   #14
Keith186

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

I went to top up my leap card online for the first time today (rarely use it) and I've discovered that I have 'to collect' my top up at a Luas line or in a shop.

I don't know what way they designed the system but it seems like a crock of **** to me if you can't top it up online without having to go the extra mile so to speak!
26-08-2012, 15:34   #15
coylemj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith186 View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

I went to top up my leap card online for the first time today (rarely use it) and I've discovered that I have 'to collect' my top up at a Luas line or in a shop.

I don't know what way they designed the system but it seems like a crock of **** to me if you can't top it up online without having to go the extra mile so to speak!
The credit needs to be recorded on the card because the likes of Dublin Bus readers have no online (instant) access to the centralised database, hence you need to physically visit a machine to get the credit transferred onto the card.

Maybe someone can answer this one which you didn't mention - can you pickup new credit purchased online for a Leap card from a ticket machine in a Dart station yet - either the topup cash/CC machines or the readers at the barriers?

Last edited by coylemj; 26-08-2012 at 15:37.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion