Mondeo Mk3 dials problem - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-01-2012, 13:40   #1
dcr22B

Mondeo Mk3 dials problem

Hi there,

I have been having an intermittent problem with my ST TDCi (Mk3 - 05) in that we have been driving along for the past few weeks and the dials suddenly all drop to zero, swish around to max and then resume their normal position. In addition, the fuel range drops like a stone and the ESP light activates itself.

There is no loss of power and the next time the ignition is switched on, the ESP light switches itself off.

I have noticed once or twice that the battery light flickers for 1/2 seconds about 1 minute before the dials have their dance.

Do I have a battery problem or is it an electronics problem?

Thanks
Advertisement
16-01-2012, 13:50   #2
YouTookMyName

Theres a fault with the ford dails, it's common in the MK1 focus. It will probably have to be changed. Best call your nearest dealer for a quote.
Thanks from:
16-01-2012, 13:56   #3
MidlandsM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTookMyName View Post
Theres a fault with the ford dails, it's common in the MK1 focus. It will probably have to be changed. Best call your nearest dealer for a quote.
....I'd hold the horses there
Not all ford dails are faulty, I've sold possibly hundreds of mk3 mondys in my time, and never came across this issue the OP is experiencing.

My first point of call is a diagnosis with someone who does what they are doing ie. not necessariliy are ford dealer.
(2) thanks from:
16-01-2012, 14:04   #4
dcr22B

I've been on to my mechanic and he'll try a multimeter on it and see what happens from there.

I'd searched on the Net for people who had mentioned similar issues but nobody had given any finalised solutions.
16-01-2012, 17:33   #5
Mikko Mallikas

If I remember correctly gauge sweeps on the mk3 are commonly an indication of low battery voltage and therefore nearly time for a new battery.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-01-2012, 17:41   #6
dcr22B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Mallikas View Post
If I remember correctly gauge sweeps on the mk3 are commonly an indication of low battery voltage and therefore nearly time for a new battery.
I hope you're right as it could be the alternator as well.
16-01-2012, 18:12   #7
YouTookMyName

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlandsM View Post
....I'd hold the horses there
Not all ford dails are faulty, I've sold possibly hundreds of mk3 mondys in my time, and never came across this issue the OP is experiencing.

My first point of call is a diagnosis with someone who does what they are doing ie. not necessariliy are ford dealer.
My 2002 focus went haywire when I had it after I changed the battery, I sold it before I had to change it. The sister bought one same year 2002 that had the dials changed at 68k.

I should have said "Theres a fault with the some of the ford dails."
Thanks from:
16-01-2012, 18:15   #8
dan hibiki

low battery, faulty battery connection or alternater. nothing too expensive to sort.
Thanks from:
16-01-2012, 18:23   #9
Bobo78
Closed Account

I m 99 percent sure it s the battery, I had the same symptoms on my Mazda 6 when battery was going empty. I repalaced the battery and the problem was solved.
What happens is when you try to start the car all the dials jump to the right and back.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-01-2012, 20:02   #10
dcr22B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo78 View Post
I m 99 percent sure it s the battery, I had the same symptoms on my Mazda 6 when battery was going empty. I repalaced the battery and the problem was solved.
What happens is when you try to start the car all the dials jump to the right and back.
That sounds exactly like it, I'll report back tomorrow when the missus takes the car to the motor factors to get a new battery (or at least get the current one tested).
17-01-2012, 13:11   #11
dcr22B

Update:

The battery on the car is 100% so it looks like it could possible be the alternator. Will drop the car to my mechanic tomorrow and will give a progress update on it later that day.
17-01-2012, 23:32   #12
dan hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr22B View Post
Update:

The battery on the car is 100% so it looks like it could possible be the alternator. Will drop the car to my mechanic tomorrow and will give a progress update on it later that day.
new one = 400 euro
recondition = 100 euro
19-01-2012, 09:40   #13
dcr22B

Final update:

Turns out that it was only the battery thank God! When my wife went to the motor factors, he had said to her that it was the original battery from 2005 and while the battery tester might see it as good, there was no harm in getting a second opinion as he didn't have a multimeter to hand.

My mechanic ran a battery tester on it yesterday and it came back fine but when he ran the multimeter on it, it was nearly dead as a dodo so he changed the battery and I told him to take it for a long test drive. He did about 50 miles or so (the dial sweep would happen only 3/4 miles into every journey for the past few weeks) and there was no problems at all.

My next project is getting the injectors changed so off to the credit union I go to get a loan to sort them out!

Thank you all for your suggestions

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion