Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game Awards 2011 - Results!

Options
  • 17-01-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭

OK... done and dusted for another year. Did your favourites win?

Winners are listed below.
    To see how they compared to the runners-up (and to see how close some of the categories were) click here to look at all results (Flash required).

Notes:
    - Some categories that only had one nominee were not up for the public vote.
    - I know Minecraft was listed twice in best game design (but it was still a distant second anyway)

Xbox 360

Category_______________________|Winner
    360: Best Sports|FIFA 12
    360: Best Racing|Forza 4
    360: Best Strategy/Puzzle|Portal 2
    360: Best XBLA|Bastion
    360: Best Action Adventure |Batman Arkham City
    360: Best RPG|Skyrim
    360: Best Overall|Skyrim

PS3

PS3: Best Action/Adventure|Uncharted 3
    PS3: Best RPG|Skyrim
    PS3: Best Sports|Fifa 12
    PS3: Best PSN|Mad Blocker Alpha: Revenge of the Fluzzles
    PS3: Best Strategy/Puzzle|Portal 2
    PS3: Best Racing|Dirt 3
    PS3: Best Overall|Skyrim

PC

PC: Best Action Adventure|Portal 2
    PC: Best Sports|Fifa 12
    PC: Best RPG|Skyrim
    PC: Best Racing|Dirt 3
    PC: Best Strategy/Puzzle|Shogun 2
    PC: Best Indie|Bastion
    PC: Best Overall|Skyrim

Wii

Wii: Best Wiiware|Hydroventure
    Wii: Best Racing|Trackmania
    Wii: Best Sports|Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games 2012
    Wii: Best RPG|Xenoblade Chronicles (only nomination - wins by default)
    Wii: Best Strategy/Puzzle|No nominees
    Wii: Best Action Adventure|Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Wii: Best Overall|Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Portable

PSP: Best RPG|Persona 2
    PSP: Best Action/Adventure|Third Birthday
    PSP: Best Sports/Racing|No nominees
    PSP: Best Puzzle/Strategy|Corpse Party
    PSP: Best Overall|Persona 2
    DS/3DS: Best RPG|Radiant Historia
    DS/3DS: Best Sports/Racing|Mario Kart 7
    DS/3DS: Best Puzzle/Strategy|Professor Layton and the Last Specter
    DS/3DS: Best Action/Adventure|Ocarina of Time 3D
    DS/3DS: Best Overall|Super Mario 3D Land
    iOS: Best Sports/Racing|Football Manager 2012
    iOS: Best Puzzle/Strategy|Scribblenauts Remix
    iOS: Best Action/Adventure|World of Goo & Infinity Blade (Joint)
    iOS: Best RPG|Chrono Trigger
    iOS: Best Overall|Infinity Blade 2

Fun

Fun: Hottest Female|Catwoman - Batman Arkham City
    Fun: Best Story|Portal 2
    Fun: Best Graphics/Art Design|Rayman Origins
    Fun: Biggest Disappointment|Duke Nukem Forever
    Fun: WTF Were They Thinking Award|Duke Nukem Forever
    Fun: Best Character|Wheatley - Portal 2
    Fun: Best Sound/Sound Design|Battlefield 3
    Fun: Hottest Male|Captain Price - Modern Warfare 3
    Fun: Best Boss Fight|Batman Arkham City - Mr. Freeze
    Fun: Pleasant Surprise|Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Fun: Best Game Design|Portal 2

Overall

Overall: Best Download Only Game|Minecraft
    Overall: Best Sports|Madden 12
    Overall: Best Fighting|Mortal Kombat
    Overall: Best RPG|Skyrim
    Overall: Best Strategy|Portal 2
    Overall: Best Action/Adventure|Batman Arkham City
    Overall: Best Online Game|Battlefield 3
    Overall: Best Racing|Mario Kart 7

Game of the Year 2011
    Position________________________|Winner
    1st|Skyrim
    2nd|Portal 2
    3rd|Dark Souls

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hoorah for the lack of MW:3 love

eh..... hottest male award :D

Disappointed not to see Deus Ex in there somewhere or Dead Island those deserved a mention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

****ing Skyrim.

That is all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

**** Skyrim. Dark Souls is way better!

Also Catwoman from Arkham City? I just hope it's because votes were split over Catherine/Katerine :P

Also Best boss fight is bull****. Anything but a Dark Souls boss winning that category is a travesty.

Biggest Surprise being Deus Ex? Even when all previews pointed to it being something amazing all year? Vote for a real pleasant surprise next time.

Other than that my annual ranting is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how old is Chrono Trigger??
    Deus EX:HR just didn't do it for me, I got bored and went on a killing spree
    I must actually get round to playing my copy of Demons Souls to see if Dark Souls is worth it
    BF3: yeah! a multiplayer game I actually like so much that I haven't even played the SP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Good enough list, was a good year for games.

Tho... bit odd that fifa12 won best sports game for the main 3 platforms yet madden12(How many people have actually even played this ?!?!?) won overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Excellent, fair play the Open Emotion Studios boys for winning with Mad Blocker Alpha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've never even heard of the PSN downloadable game Mad Blocker Alpha. I must check it out.

I'm a little disappointed not to see Deus Ex: HR represented anywhere. For me it was probably the best game of last year. Although I still have many of last years big games unplayed on my shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I've never even heard of the PSN downloadable game Mad Blocker Alpha. I must check it out.

It's a great puzzle game made by local Limerick lads. Well worth the few quid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

no shooter category, fail

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I knew we have alot of McDonald's fans in here so skyrim won...

Ah well, still fair play for doing these awards m8! Roll on 2012!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Dont know why people are bitching about Skyrim like its some sort of travesty it won. I guess we'll always have the hipsters who won't like the popular opinion.

I'm not surprised by any of the results anyway. I think it mostly fair overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Dont know why people are bitching about Skyrim like its some sort of travesty it won. I guess we'll always have the hipsters who won't like the popular opinion.

I'm not surprised by any of the results anyway. I think it mostly fair overall.

You don't have to be a hipster to say that Skyrim didn't deserve it. I'm a huge elder scrolls fan and I will very happily say that Dark Souls was more deserving. Having played through two playthroughs on both games I can say it will be a long time before I get the urge to play Skyrim again but I end up playing Dark Souls almost everyday. Skyrim won because more people played it but that doesn't necessarily mean it is the best game. Just look at MW3.

You don't have to be a hipster to say that Skyrim didn't deserve it. I'm a huge elder scrolls fan and I will very happily say that Dark Souls was more deserving. Having played through two playthroughs on both games I can say it will be a long time before I get the urge to play Skyrim again but I end up playing Dark Souls almost everyday. Skyrim won because more people played it but that doesn't necessarily mean it is the best game. Just look at MW3.

Which is the better game is subjective as well. So just because more people played Skyrim doesnt mean that it is any less desrving of its win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Which is the better game is subjective as well. So just because more people played Skyrim doesnt mean that it is any less desrving of its win.

There's nothing subjective about it. Dark Souls is the daddy. Fact! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »

unfortunately i havent even played dark souls yet, but i played demon sauls. so if dark souls is demon souls 2.0, then it is already better game then skyrim.

even if something is very popular, it does not mean its an quality product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Biggest Surprise being Deus Ex? Even when all previews pointed to it being something amazing all year? Vote for a real pleasant surprise next time.

Deus Ex had terrible previews coming out of E3, pretty much every podcast I listened to at the time mentioned how average and unimpressive it looked. Made me completely discount the game, so it was a surprise how much I liked it.

The award results suggest otherwise.;)

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Deus Ex had terrible previews coming out of E3, pretty much every podcast I listened to at the time mentioned how average and unimpressive it looked. Made me completely discount the game, so it was a surprise how much I liked it.

I put Deus Ex as my pleasant surprise too. I hadnt played the original version and hadnt read any previews of the game so didnt really know what to expect so was a pleasant surprise for me on playing through it.

unfortunately i havent even played dark souls yet, but i played demon sauls. so if dark souls is demon souls 2.0, then it is already better game then skyrim.

even if something is very popular, it does not mean its an quality product.

You can take that comment with a pince of salt as well. Sure I haven't played Skyrim either. However I very much doubt Skyrim is the better game although I know I'll love it, Dark Souls is just that good. If you like Demon's Souls then you owe it to yourself to get Dark Souls. It's a massive improvement on what is already an amazing game.
    NotorietyH wrote: »

I was listening to 1up and reading Eurogamer, they all loved it before and after E3. All I kept hearing about was how amazing that E3 demo was and how you could choose to sneak into the police station or re-enact the police station scene from Terminator. I didn't read anything bad about it and even in interviews the team really knew what they were doing and were on the ball with everything from the art direction to making sure choices mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

For once i pretty much agree with(or at least can see where people are coming from) this years winners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

While Skyrim is a great game, its always going to be a numbers game. No doubt far more people that voted have played skyrim compared to darksouls, thus it was bound to win.

Simple math really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My problem with Skyrim is that it's only a minor refinement of Oblivion and Fallout 3. The rough edges - poor combat, laughable uncanny valley - remain. Good stuff, but compared to the far tighter design of other games it seems rough and Ho-hum in comparison.

But yeah, certainly a case where more people played it, therefore it's popularity is unsurprising. But the having played most of the big and small titles this year on all formats, Skyrim was one of the games that felt lacking.

Still there's far worse games that could have won, it's still a great game. Just disappointing it swept the board and left no room for others :)

Also no Tactics Ogre for PSP anywhere to be seen. It's one of the best games ever made but unfortunately on the PSP so nobody played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Big thanks to Mr E for all his work on this as usual. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I was listening to 1up and reading Eurogamer, they all loved it before and after E3. All I kept hearing about was how amazing that E3 demo was and how you could choose to sneak into the police station or re-enact the police station scene from Terminator. I didn't read anything bad about it and even in interviews the team really knew what they were doing and were on the ball with everything from the art direction to making sure choices mattered.

I was listening to Giant Bomb, Joystiq and Game Informer at the time and they weren't impressed, or at least said it was very forgettable. So it was a pleasant surprise to me at least. Don't think there was unanimous praise or negativity for it, but depending on who you were paying attention to it could've been a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm going to take the other angle and say that Skyrim was better than Dark Souls for one simple reason: it was more accessible. I played, and really tried, to get into Dark Souls but it just did not click. It was too punishable, made you work really hard even at the start. Whereas Skyrim was more easy to get into, and got hard for a while before making me feel like i was an untouchable God! That, in my opinion, is why it is perceived as better.

As i said in another thread, i prefer games which do not require persistent, precise gameplay to get reward. A few steps beyond pick-up-an-play, but nowhere near ending credits on Tetris hard. And most gamers, i believe, would also prefer that style.

But i do give kudos to those who prefer the harder challenge, and prefer to work hard for the rewards.

As for the results, disappointed not to see Dead Island feature, and Deus Ex feature a bit more (best soundtrack ever!), but overall happy.

Skyrim was better than Dark Souls for one simple reason: it was more accessible. I played, and really tried, to get into Dark Souls but it just did not click. It was too punishable, made you work really hard even at the start.

Ah you see you were playing it wrong, my advice to people that find Dark Souls too hard is simple: Man the **** up! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

The thing I found about Dark Souls is that if you know what you are doing it is easy. Unlike most games today it doesn't hold your hand and tell you that this enemy should be attacked in this manner (annoying sidekick screaming it in your ear, or bulging weak spot on the back). Each boss and each enemy had a weakness in their tactics that you needed to learn to exploit. If you kept your shield up and dodged for a while you would learn it and then that enemy that has had you cowering in a corner will be nothing to you.

I finished New Game + in 6 hours and only died three times
    Once fighting Ornstein and Smough, once fighting the Four Kings and once in the Tomb of the Giants.

The only challenge Skyrim posed me was not smashing my controller after the 20th claw door. I never found myself actually caring what happened. If I died I would respawn at the last door I went through. Usually no more than 5 minutes playtime. I could explore 100 dungeons but after about 5 they felt tired. No point having hundreds of dungeons if each one has the same puzzles as the last.

Skyrim was an amazing game but it was 2 steps forward three steps back for Bethesda.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Interesting Mortal Kombat came 1st in fighting games, as it came 4th in a poll over in the actual fighting games forum! This matches the trend all over the place! It really is a game with strong casual appeal.

• Advertisement

The thing I found about Dark Souls is that if you know what you are doing it is easy....

The only challenge Skyrim posed me was not smashing my controller after the 20th claw door. I never found myself actually caring what happened. If I died I would respawn at the last door I went through. Usually no more than 5 minutes playtime. I could explore 100 dungeons but after about 5 they felt tired. No point having hundreds of dungeons if each one has the same puzzles as the last.

Skyrim was an amazing game but it was 2 steps forward three steps back for Bethesda.

I'd agree with this. Dark Souls is tough but fair (bar maybe that guy with the giant arrow on the flying buttresses, and the final boss on anything but a heavy build) once you get past the slight baptism of fire it opens with. Play by the rules and tightly-honed mechanics and there's no reason for frustration to set in. Unless you get repeatedly cursed ;) The rewards are so great in the game that it just enchants for the entirety of the playing time - earning access to yet another brilliantly designed area is far more rewarding than the characterless caves & dungeons of Skyrim (although no denying the overall world is a beautiful place - just one where the rewards are hidden beneath much more fluff).

There's always DoDonPachi Resurrection for anyone who really wants to indulge their inner-masochist :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement