Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-01-2012, 17:48   #1
carchaeologist

Mod: Kerry
Send a message via MSN to carchaeologist
10 years of a difference..

I was out in the Ibiza today as it was a dry day and passing through Abbeydorney i passed this Laguna at the shop. A swift U turn later and i waited for the lady to come back to her car where i asked her if she would mind a quick photoshoot. She was a bit bemused at first but got a great kick out of it, and was all apologies for the state of the Laguna!

Theres light years between the two cars!
Advertisement
14-01-2012, 18:47   #2
kerry4sam

ah nice one. That opportunity could NOT be passed up Fair Play to the owner of the Laguna though. Your own is in good nick btw.
Thanks from:
14-01-2012, 19:00   #3
carchaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry4sam View Post
ah nice one. That opportunity could NOT be passed up . Your own is in good nick btw.
No, it was a photo opp that i definatly couldnt resist!!
The Ibiza has only 14k miles up, it only comes out on dry days.
Thanks from:
14-01-2012, 19:06   #4
kerry4sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchaeologist View Post
No, it was a photo opp that i definatly couldnt resist!!
The Ibiza has only 14k miles up, it only comes out on dry days.
14k? serious?

What other cars you have? for a username like your own, you must have a savage collection?
14-01-2012, 19:23   #5
carchaeologist

Quote:
14k? serious?
Yep, tis the truth, it just turned to 14k, i bought it with 13500 on it, and theres a full Joe o Connor service history to back it up!
Quote:
What other cars you have? for a username like your own, you must have a savage collection?
I dunno if it would be called a savage collection, but i have a few retro motors alright..
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-01-2012, 19:26   #6
tvercetti

was there only ever one side view mirror on the Seat?
14-01-2012, 19:33   #7
Karsini
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Send a message via Skype™ to Karsini
Nice

My dad still has a black 1990 Ibiza Special but it has been off the road for about 7 years. Yours is in much better nick.
Thanks from:
14-01-2012, 20:00   #8
kerry4sam

Quote:
Yep, tis the truth, it just turned to 14k, i bought it with 13500 on it, and theres a full Joe o Connor service history to back it up!

I dunno if it would be called a savage collection, but i have a few retro motors alright..
a few retro motors alright carchaeologist!
14-01-2012, 20:18   #9
carchaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvercetti View Post
was there only ever one side view mirror on the Seat?
Yep. Most old cars did. The passenger mirror was usually an option. Legally you had to have two, the drivers one and the centre one.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-01-2012, 20:20   #10
carchaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsini View Post
Nice

My dad still has a black 1990 Ibiza Special but it has been off the road for about 7 years. Yours is in much better nick.
Thank you. If he is getting rid let me know. Dont just scrap it!! What size is the engine? The bigger ones were Porsche tuned.
14-01-2012, 21:00   #11
Karsini
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Send a message via Skype™ to Karsini
Quote:
Thank you. If he is getting rid let me know. Dont just scrap it!! What size is the engine? The bigger ones were Porsche tuned.
He's considering restoring it but if he ever does decide to dispose of it I'll let you know. He's in Listowel so not too far for you at all. It's the 903cc Fiat engine, as in all of the Special editions. Not the original engine though, the original blew a head gasket. Apparently the previous owner didn't look after it at all and the internals were badly corroded. The car still ran when it was stored but doesn't start now - it's an electrical problem as no spark is being produced.

The non-Specials were 1193cc and 1461cc "System Porsche" engines alright.
Thanks from:
14-01-2012, 21:04   #12
carchaeologist

You know your stuff Karsini! Im impressed! If he wants a look at mine anytime it wouldn't be a problem. Can't be many left now.
14-01-2012, 23:43   #13
Quaderno

Quote:
I was out in the Ibiza today (...)
I didn't know the Ibiza was yours, but I've noticed it a good few times around town and beyond - most notably parked next to the beach cafe in Fenit on sunny days I've walk around it more than once, really nice and always well looked after. You really don't need a Lambo to stand out...
15-01-2012, 00:19   #14
carchaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaderno View Post
I didn't know the Ibiza was yours, but I've noticed it a good few times around town and beyond - most notably parked next to the beach cafe in Fenit on sunny days I've walk around it more than once, really nice and always well looked after. You really don't need a Lambo to stand out...
It was only in Fenit a short while, thats where i picked it up, it was a sin to have it out in that salty air. An old woman in Tralee had it from new for 21 years. It stayed in town all that time apart from a few runs to Cork. Its not as clean as i would like, theres some bodywork to do this year.
15-01-2012, 10:11   #15
Quaderno

Quote:
It was only in Fenit a short while, thats where i picked it up, it was a sin to have it out in that salty air. An old woman in Tralee had it from new for 21 years.
Ok, it must have been me then. Since I am only in Fenit when the weather is fine I could only see the car over there on sunny days. I think it had been parked next to that derelict An Post-Berlingo (gone now as well) on the left hand side before the pier wall begins.
Anyway, it seems to be a really rare find to have a >20 year old car with one careful lady owner and a very special number plate. And I bet it even was quite affordable to take it off her
I am a big fan of clean and simple unmodified lightweight cars. In Germany I once had a 1994 Peugeot 106 that had been imported from Portugal. It had absolutely no gadgets (no power steering, no airbags, all windows and mirrors manual und not even a lid on the glove box) and so it weighed in at just 790kgs. That combined with a rare 50HP engine made it really fun to drive around town, although the seats were terrible and I wouldn't have wanted to crash it. In comparison: a 3-cylinder three door Corsa C with nothing in it is still more than 200kgs heavier than that car...

P.S. I just checked what 10KY1 would have been and it came up as a Pajero. 80KY1 on the other hand is no longer registered. Did those plates even exist that early?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 106.jpg (56.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 106_2.jpg (43.3 KB, 86 views)
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion