Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-08-2011, 12:12   #106
SMAP

Hi, Just found a new apartment in Dublin, we will be signing the lease next week.

Its perfect but we do not have a freezer just a very small freezer box within the fridge, unsuitable for three country girls freezing mammys dinners from home! We asked could we get a freeezer and the landlord said other tenants never asked for one but they were willing to get us one provided we paid half the price. They said a big-ish freezer will cost in and around 200 euro although so we each pay about 30 euro each. The landlord will then keep the freezer when we move out which i think is about cheeky! I was just wondering is this normal, tenants and landlords splitting the price of something, surely its the landlords job to provide a proper freezer or are we screwed because technically we have a small freezer box in the fridge?

Also there is no coffee table, no proper tv stand just a feeble, breakable looking desk, no bed side locker, just a wardrobe in one room (would like some drawers), and would like one more armchair as there is just room for 3 people to sit down comfortably although i know its not a necessity!

On daft it says its fully furnished, does that mean the above list should be provided? I would appreciate opinions of what I am entitled to ask for before signing the lease, the landlord is lovely and she is giving us a good deal so I don't want to come across rude.

Thanks!
Advertisement
20-08-2011, 09:43   #107
The_Conductor
Dinosaur Train!

It doesn't say anywhere that the landlord is required to supply you with a separate freezer- yes, a freezer box in a fridge is damn small, but thats the norm.

The landlord is offering to get you a new freezer with a 50% contribution from you- and to keep the freezer when you leave. Seems reasonable to me. If you want a separate freezer- and you want to bring it with you- buy it yourself. They start at about 140 and go all the way up- Powercity and DID will even deliver them for you (at a cost of about 20 Euro).

Its not normal for a rented house or apartment to have a big separate freezer in this day and age- for better or for worse.

Personally- I'd go with the landlord's offer- unless you have a particular wish to hump a freezer around with you in future?

Ps- when you do get a new freezer- read the instructions about leaving it running for 24-48 hours before using it- this cycles the refrigerant in it etc.......
20-08-2011, 10:08   #108
Darksaga87

When I moved into my last house, we only had a tiny little fridge with a small freezer in the top part, but the landlord said it herself that this was too small, so they paid for it.
It just depends on the landlord, if they are sound they will help you out.

If i was offered the same deal as you, id buy it myself and then sell it when i moved out, or offer to sell it to the landlord.
20-08-2011, 10:48   #109
The_Conductor
Dinosaur Train!

I'd actually suggest putting up an add on Dublin Freecycle- its entirely possible that you might get one for nothing (however you'd have to organise to collect it). I got rid of a freezer and other kitchen appliances there earlier this year- they do pop up not infrequently.
30-08-2011, 15:50   #110
experiMental

Send a message via MSN to experiMental
I will be working between Newbridge and Dublin between September and February. The job is going to be a temporary contract. I will need to move out of Dundalk because commuting to that work will be unrealistic. Would it be possible to sign a 4 or 5 month lease?
Advertisement
25-09-2011, 22:42   #111
Polar101

My lease will be up in a few months, so I'll be moving out. I see a lot of ads on daft.ie say "references essential" - I can get work references, but I don't have any references from previous landlords (nor current). Are references from previous landlords really needed?
26-09-2011, 05:52   #112
Victor

Essentially they want to know that you will pay your rent and won't trash the place. The don't absolutely need a landlord reference, but they do want reassurance - you need to convince them.

It would be most important to have a reference from the most recent landlord - they don't really want to know about 10 years ago.
(2) thanks from:
03-10-2011, 22:48   #113
Flyin Irishman

How much rent can I afford?

I had a look through the forum but couldnt find anything that put my mind at ease! Didnt think it deserved its own thread, so I'll ask here.

Im looking at renting for the first time and cant figure out how much rent I can actually afford. Ideally I'd like to be able to rent alone. Maybe some of you could give me your opinions to help me get a ball-park figure in my head.

My monthly income (after tax) is €1,600. Ive been trying to think of what bills I will have to cover and so on, but could do with some opinions. Some of the things Im unsure about is how much I can expect to pay on esb and gas bills (I dont use much heating)?

Other bills Ive been thinking of are: bins, tv/internet, food, and some saving money. Is there anything Im forgetting?

So, what kinda rent would be affordable for me?
04-10-2011, 03:22   #114
Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Irishman View Post
So, what kinda rent would be affordable for me?
Look at these polls to see what people are spending. Most people seem to be spending 20-29% of their after tax income on rent, but the actual amount varies a lot. This wouls suggest a figure of €320-480 for you. Obviously pay at the lower end if it means you have to commute and if it is a lower quality premises / location and at the higher end if it means no commuting, a nice place with lots of facilities, as your transport and other costs will be vary.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056399233
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-10-2011, 21:30   #115
Flyin Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Look at these polls to see what people are spending. Most people seem to be spending 20-29% of their after tax income on rent, but the actual amount varies a lot. This wouls suggest a figure of €320-480 for you. Obviously pay at the lower end if it means you have to commute and if it is a lower quality premises / location and at the higher end if it means no commuting, a nice place with lots of facilities, as your transport and other costs will be vary.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056399233
Thanks for that! I had seen those polls - and theyre a big help, but what was throwing me off was trying to judge it when the incomes can vary so much. I think if I do find a place I might try to convince them to do a short-term lease so I can see if I can afford it & if I like the place...
04-10-2011, 21:32   #116
The_Conductor
Dinosaur Train!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Irishman View Post
Thanks for that! I had seen those polls - and theyre a big help, but what was throwing me off was trying to judge it when the incomes can vary so much. I think if I do find a place I might try to convince them to do a short-term lease so I can see if I can afford it & if I like the place...
In general you pay 15-20% more for a short term lease (6 months or less) than you do for a longer term lease- plus your bargaining position with the prospective landlord is significantly reduced.
Thanks from:
06-12-2011, 17:43   #117
MarcusFenix

Send a message via MSN to MarcusFenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
Right, this is what I've come up with:
http://members.boards.ie/seamus/checklist.rtf
(Best viewed in MS Word unfortunately, otherwise you'll have to reduce your margins a bit)

Anything missing from there?

I know myself from bike/car hunting that you can sometimes forget to ask the right question/look at the right things, or if you look at a few things in one day, you'll forget which one has which feature...

Broken list broken
19-12-2011, 12:12   #118
odds_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonty View Post
anyone give me any advice on signing a one year lease fro an apartment..as far as i know there is no clause in the contract..any advice would be great..thanks
It is not unusual for there not to be a break clause (I'm assuming that is what you mean?)- If you are not happy about that, ask the landlord for one.

You could also ask for a Part 4 lease or a Periodic lease which from a tenant's point of view are much easier to get out of, but are not as secure as a Fixed Term lease. However, landlords seldom use these types as a first lease. Another way might be to ask for a shorter lease, say six months.
19-12-2011, 12:15   #119
odds_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by experiMental View Post
I will be working between Newbridge and Dublin between September and February. The job is going to be a temporary contract. I will need to move out of Dundalk because commuting to that work will be unrealistic. Would it be possible to sign a 4 or 5 month lease?
No harm in asking. You could also as for a Part 4 lease or a Periodic lease which are much easier to get out of but are also less secure than a Fixed Term lease for a tenant
19-12-2011, 12:30   #120
odds_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarrick View Post
It doesn't say anywhere that the landlord is required to supply you with a separate freezer- yes, a freezer box in a fridge is damn small, but thats the norm.

The landlord is offering to get you a new freezer with a 50% contribution from you- and to keep the freezer when you leave. Seems reasonable to me. If you want a separate freezer- and you want to bring it with you- buy it yourself. They start at about 140 and go all the way up- Powercity and DID will even deliver them for you (at a cost of about 20 Euro).

Its not normal for a rented house or apartment to have a big separate freezer in this day and age- for better or for worse.

Personally- I'd go with the landlord's offer- unless you have a particular wish to hump a freezer around with you in future?

Ps- when you do get a new freezer- read the instructions about leaving it running for 24-48 hours before using it- this cycles the refrigerant in it etc.......
HOUSING (STANDARDS FOR RENTED HOUSES) REGULATIONS 2008
and the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses)(Amendment) Regulations 2009 State:
Quote:
8. Food Preparation and Storage and Laundry
8. (1) Notwithstanding Article 4, this Article shall not apply where the house is let or available
for letting by a housing authority under Section 56 of the Housing Act 1966 (as amended) or by a housing body approved under Section 6 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992 .
(2) Subject to sub-article (1), there shall be provided, within the habitable area of the house, for the exclusive use of the house:
(a) 4 ring hob with oven and grill,
(b) Suitable facilities for the effective and safe removal of fumes to the external air by means of a cooker hood or extractor fan,
(c) Fridge and freezer or fridge-freezer,
IMHO, I would not consider that an ice-box in a fridge satisfies the condition above.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion