Dublin Coach to Limerick - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-12-2011, 18:13   #16
lxflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Yes, seems like a strange route. But perhaps a different operator had already applied for a more direct route, probably Limerick -> Dublin City -> Dublin Airport.

Seems likely as it is crazy for Dublin Coach not to operate to Dublin Airport.

Their website could do with a lot of work, no ticket prices, no ability to buy tickets, no info if the buses have free wifi and onboard toilets, but looks like it will be coming soon.

Schedule looks good with wide ranging hourly service. Could do with an earlier departure from both Limerick and Dublin to get you into both before 9 and a late departure from Limerick to get you to Dublin Airport for early morning flights.

However delighted to see another good option like this open up for people. Seems to be some new bus license activity going on, hopefully we will see more for Cork and Waterford soon.
Bus Eireann have services at 0230 and 0530 from Limerick, the former going to the airport with limited stops and have later services in the opposite direction.

Again there may not be a sufficient demand for a non stop service any later.
Advertisement
08-12-2011, 08:57   #17
d1980

Ad in Limerick post this week. €10 tickets, wi-fi on board, leather seats for those of you into that. 15 times a days.
08-12-2011, 09:09   #18
SandyfordGuy
Closed Account

I'm sure it will be a good service - just wish the NTA didn't allow them to stop at Westmoreland Street because you now have far too many coaches stopping there now. it was tight before with a good few Dublin Bus Routes, Aircoach Cork and Airport services and occasional Bus Eireann, but now it's crazy.

Please don't tell me the Dublin Coach vehicles will lay over there for half an hour?
08-12-2011, 10:44   #19
Kumsheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlydebased View Post
Timetable is up now, journey time is 2hrs 45, takes passengers at Limerick, UL, annacotty and then Kildare Village, Red cow and westmoreland street.

At that journey time I'll definately try it- no info on fares yet.
Strange, i can't seem to see the timetable on the website, anybody post a link to it please?

Maybe they will have a facility where Dublin Airport passengers will switch coaches at the red cow stop.
08-12-2011, 10:46   #20
SandyfordGuy
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumsheen View Post
Maybe they will have a facility where Dublin Airport passengers will switch coaches at the red cow stop.
http://dublincoach.ie/wordpress/rout...to-dublin-city

I believe they will but holding buses from the other route is not the best idea really though - what happens in the case of delays? Do you make passengers late by waiting fior the other bus or does it just not wait?

Last edited by SandyfordGuy; 08-12-2011 at 10:51.
Advertisement
08-12-2011, 11:21   #21
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1980 View Post
Ad in Limerick post this week. €10 tickets, wi-fi on board, leather seats for those of you into that. 15 times a days.
No toilets on board, that is a pity
08-12-2011, 12:01   #22
lxflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
No toilets on board, that is a pity
I don't want to harp on about this, but frankly unless you're prepared to take the risk and stump the money up to invest in a fleet of buses and then operate these services to the spec that you want (which you've stated you are not), I find it somewhat rich that you continually make these criticisms about private operators.

They are taking a huge risk in starting these services and you seem to forget that in your posts.

Sorry if I'm coming across as harsh, but constantly expecting someone else to do something that you want to a standard that you want while they take all the risk is frankly pushing your luck!
(3) thanks from:
08-12-2011, 12:05   #23
Armada
Banned

Having looked at the timetable I think they are being very optimistic. Red Cow Luas to Westmoreland street in 20 minutes at all times of the day? I cant see how they can run at the times quoted, I think they are over promising.

I wouldnt worry about no Toilet - at €10 it is fast and cheap - no toilet is a small sacrifice.

Has anyone ever tried to use the toilet on a coach travelling at full speed? Not a fun experience!!
Thanks from:
08-12-2011, 12:19   #24
bk

lxflyer there is a specific reason why I keep harping on about this.

Personally I'm a big fan of using coach buses for intercity travel and I want it to be successful. I believe that the private coach operators are faced with a once in a life time opportunity here and I'd love to see them grab it and make the most of it.

Most people see intercity bus coaches as slow, uncomfortable and crap. Because in the past they were, they were one to two hours longer then the train, they were uncomfortable because of the crap roads they travelled and if you needed to use the toilets, you asked the driver to stop and you snuck around behind a bush to go!!!

Buses were seen as a cheap, crap option only used by students who couldn't afford the train.

But now we have a once in a lifetime opportunity to change this view.

- We are in the middle of a recession, so everyone is looking to save money and people who might never before consider taking a bus over a train, might be willing to give it a chance.
- We have a motorway network which allows for journey times just as fast as the train.
- The motorway network also allows for a much more comfortable wide.

If you can use modern comfortable coaches with on board toilets, then I'm certain you can sell this to people as a premium service just as good, but much cheaper then train and not just a crappy service for students.

You could really change peoples opinions and maybe those people will never go back to the train again.

This is what I've seen in Galway. Excellent frequent service with very modern, comfortable coaches with free wifi and onboard toilets. Having used this service, I'd never use the train to Galway again.

I'm less sure about taking a bus to Cork or Limerick for 3 hours with no toilet break and no onboard toilets. It doesn't give a very nice image to people or make them comfortable about depending on this service.

In my mind it goes from a premium service to a cheap and nasty service only suitable for students.

I'm jsut giving you my opinion. I believe my opinion reflects many commuters who might consider using such services. Of course these companies can take my opinion on board or reject it. But I think they will be poor for rejecting it.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-12-2011, 12:22   #25
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armada View Post
I wouldnt worry about no Toilet - at €10 it is fast and cheap - no toilet is a small sacrifice.
Exactly it is a cheap service, not a premium service. Coach companies should be looking to build it up in peoples minds as being a premium service. Otherwise they will only ever be serving students and only being able to charge very cheap tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armada View Post
Has anyone ever tried to use the toilet on a coach travelling at full speed? Not a fun experience!!
I have, it is no problem, you just need to sit down, they aren't designed for the typical male standing up use.
08-12-2011, 12:38   #26
SandyfordGuy
Closed Account

They are Using Setra Coaches - that is about as premium as coaches come brand wise. They may not have a toilet but everything else is top class and what you would expect from a premium brand such as Daimler/Mercedes. They're better than anything Gobus has.

The coaches used to be on their Portlaoise route until recently. The Portlaoise route is now being run by 7 year old double decker coaches which have come from the UK on lease. No doubt they did this rather than acquiring new coaches because of the cost factor in a recession.

Quite frankly if someone isn't happy on one of these coaches Dublin Coach will operate, they're never going to be convinced, toilets or not.
Thanks from:
08-12-2011, 12:45   #27
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyfordGuy View Post
They are Using Setra Coaches - that is about as premium as coaches come brand wise. They may not have a toilet but everything else is top class and what you would expect from a premium brand such as Daimler/Mercedes. They're better than anything Gobus has.
Very nice coach, but I'd rather use a GoBus coach with a toilet onboard, then a Setra without.

The most comfortable coach in the world is no comfort at all if you are dying to take a piss. People feel happier buying a ticket on a coach that has a toilet, knowing they will have the facility if they get caught short.

Can the Setra Coaches be retrofitted with toilets?

I honestly believe toilets are a minimum requirement for comfortable, premium, intercity travel.

Specially when there are no toilet facilities at most of the bus stops of these private operators.
(2) thanks from:
08-12-2011, 22:09   #28
cson

Never felt the need for toilets on journeys < 2.5hrs. Generally I'd find if you're proactive about it you'll be grand. Good to go when you get off alright but grand for the journey.
Thanks from:
08-12-2011, 22:31   #29
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cson View Post
Never felt the need for toilets on journeys < 2.5hrs. Generally I'd find if you're proactive about it you'll be grand. Good to go when you get off alright but grand for the journey.
Spot-On cson.

The on-board toilet issue is a bit of a non-runner really and I would doubt if it even entered into a prospective passengers head when comparing services.

Price and Journey Time will be the defining factors as far as I can see.

I would also suggest that on board toilets,particularly in an Irish context (sub 3 hour journeys) swiftly degenerate into a very good reason NOT to try Coach Travel.

Over the years I have driven various designs of coach,from established coachbuilders such as Plaxton,Van Hool,Irizar and Sunsundegui and rarely finished a round trip without having to place the bog Out Of Service.

Often the yoke would go-tech,mid way through a journey,which tended to leave those sitting closest to the action a trifle more fragrant than they might have wished.

Then there is also the added cost now associated with having the required "charging" facilities at each end of the journey to service the on-board equipment to what are now quite stringent Health & Safety standards.

Bearing in mind the Irish Governments committment to the "Polluter Pays" principle then perhaps the question actually is whether or not intending passengers wish to pay a "Convenience" supplement in order to allow for the proper treatment of their own bodily waste products ?

A reliable,comfortable,and rapid Coach Service will IMO attract the business irrespective of the On-Board Toilet and perhaps even due to the absence of it ...
(2) thanks from:
08-12-2011, 23:50   #30
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cson View Post
The problem with using such private operators from Limerick to Dublin, is that there are no toilet facilities at the start or end of the journey as they pick up on and leave you off on the street and have to hope some pub doesn't mind you using the loo.

It is noticeable that the pubs down by Tara St. where many of the Galway buses operate from all have signs on the front door saying that the toilets are strictly for customer use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekSmart View Post
The on-board toilet issue is a bit of a non-runner really and I would doubt if it even entered into a prospective passengers head when comparing services.
Tonight I meet two friends from Cork, who all now live in Dublin but head down to Cork frequently. They all agreed that they wouldn't use the bus unless there was a toilet on board. That makes three for three.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion