Kerosene - Where to buy at the 'pumps'? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-11-2011, 10:17   #1
GaelMonfils

Kerosene - Where to buy at the 'pumps'?

Yes, i need to find somewhere close to ballyhaunis in Mayo that I can buy kerosene/home heating oil from the pumps?

Theres a whole bunch of mofos stealing oil from tanks round these parts and f**ked if im working my t1ts off for some stunt to take 300-400 quids worth from me. Thankfully i only ever use about 200 litres of oil for the entire winter so buying it in 50 litre loads doesnt bother me.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-11-2011, 17:49   #2
Daisy M

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056212301
This thread mentions a few places and also the garage on the ballina to crossmolina sells it too think it is top oil.
Thanks from:
07-11-2011, 20:19   #3
GaelMonfils

cheers astra for your reply. Found a local hardware who sell it by the gallon - Delaney's on Bridge street for anyone that might be interested.

(In ballyhaunis!)
10-11-2011, 11:13   #4
ash23

As a matter of interest, how do you get the oil into the tank? It may sound like a silly question but I'm not sure I'd be able to lift a 50L drum high enough to get it into the tank (weakling that I am!).
Would it be very heavy?
Also, roughly how much would a 50L container be and does that place sell drums?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle as I've been stung a couple of times with my oil being robbed
10-11-2011, 11:47   #5
oscarBravo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash23 View Post
As a matter of interest, how do you get the oil into the tank? It may sound like a silly question but I'm not sure I'd be able to lift a 50L drum high enough to get it into the tank (weakling that I am!).
Would it be very heavy?
50l of kerosene weighs 41kg, plus the weight of the container. That's a two-person lift. I think you'd have to siphon it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-11-2011, 13:02   #6
Daisy M

I think it was approx 89 cent a liter. Archers in Ballina were selling pumps last year that people were using to pump water from drums up to tank in attic so maybe they would work there was 2 in a pack cost about 15e. 50l would be too heavy for one person I suppose you could decant it into a watering can which would hold about 10l and do it that way would be messy though.
11-11-2011, 22:50   #7
CiniO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash23 View Post
Would it be very heavy?
Also, roughly how much would a 50L container be and does that place sell drums?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle as I've been stung a couple of times with my oil being robbed

He might as well use 2x25l containers
13-11-2011, 23:02   #8
steph1

Send a message via AIM to steph1
I think you can get a container that holds 20 litres. Top Oil on the Crossmolina Road has them for sale.
16-11-2011, 13:50   #9
mickdw

The old 5 gallon drum (<25L) is a common size that was used by farmers etc for tractor diesel. Its about the heaviest you would want to be lifting to spill into a tank.
Advertisement
18-11-2011, 23:25   #10
GaelMonfils

hello lads

I bought the fuel in 25ltr drums x 3. The total cost was about 70ish noddles. Also, i have a low, flat tank (3ft tall i think). The containers i used have tap valves on the bottom so i was as easy as turning the tap and let it fill!
19-11-2011, 19:01   #11
Daisy M

John Caden crossmolina area has recently started delivering oil and will deliver very small amounts apparently. Would be handier than messing with drums.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion