cauliflower ears - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-11-2011, 09:42   #1
nino1

cauliflower ears

I have been training bjj for 6 months and I'm not sure if I'm getting cauliflower ears.
The top/outside of my ear is fine but just beside the ear drum there is a swelling and it is sensitive to touch. been like that for about 2 weeks now. I have a few questions:
1) Do you think that is the begining of cauliflower ear or just a swelling from a blow to the ear?
2) what is the best form of protection? ear protectors/rugby caps etc
3) Do ear protectors protect 100% against cauliflower ears or can you still get it while wearing them?
4) are you allowed wear them in competition?
Thanks in advance for your help
Advertisement
09-11-2011, 10:14   #2
r_obric

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/de...sticky-770632/
09-11-2011, 11:37   #3
Tim_Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino1 View Post
I have been training bjj for 6 months and I'm not sure if I'm getting cauliflower ears.
The top/outside of my ear is fine but just beside the ear drum there is a swelling and it is sensitive to touch. been like that for about 2 weeks now. I have a few questions:
1) Do you think that is the begining of cauliflower ear or just a swelling from a blow to the ear?
That's how it starts! You won't get cauliflowers from one incident, it happens over time. If the swelling is big you might want to get it drained (most doctors or a nurse would do this) and give it time to heal. Whether you get it drained or not you'll need to take a bit of time off training to give it a chance, otherwise it'll probably just swell more and get worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino1 View Post
2) what is the best form of protection? ear protectors/rugby caps etc
3) Do ear protectors protect 100% against cauliflower ears or can you still get it while wearing them?
Wrestling ear guards help but they are no guarantee. I've been wearing them a good while and my ears are still a wee bit mangled.
09-11-2011, 12:56   #4
cowzerp

syringing them is temporary measure and if you train on it your guaranteed it will just refill, go to the ear hospital and get it sliced and drained, they will stitch it and after 4-5 days your ear will be ok and wont be full of scar tissue from the syringes, my ears are caulied to bits but still have some shape due to doing that, the shape in 1 was completely gone and would have stayed like that if i did not go to the ear hospital.

On a side note, strap your ears like the rugby players do and this stops the friction that seperates the skin from the blood vessels and stops the ear filling up, if you do syringe do this and stay like that for 4-5 days to keep pressure on it, not allowing it to fill back up and allowing it to heal sealed.

Or be like some MMA fighters and let your ears get right and cauliflowerd because it will make you look cool!
09-11-2011, 14:37   #5
pablohoney87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowzerp View Post

Or be like some MMA fighters and let your ears get right and cauliflowerd because it will make you look cool!
Plus chicks dig 'em
Advertisement
09-11-2011, 14:39   #6
cowzerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablohoney87 View Post
Plus chicks dig 'em
Digging them makes them worse-Not advised!!
09-11-2011, 14:44   #7
paulmclaughlin

My mates cauli-ear, worse I've ever seen!

09-11-2011, 14:53   #8
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
Holy sh*t ^^
09-11-2011, 15:50   #9
pablohoney87

^^^
WTF????
Looks more like a tumor
Advertisement
09-11-2011, 15:55   #10
paulmclaughlin

He had a bad one then he had a fight in which it got badly bust open. He reaction badstage was funny though when he saw it.
09-11-2011, 15:58   #11
pablohoney87

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmclaughlin View Post
He had a bad one then he had a fight in which it got badly bust open. He reaction badstage was funny though when he saw it.
Hahaha. Tell me you got that on camera.
On a sidee note I had an extremely depressing moment last month when I wen to listen to my ipod and the in-ear headphones no longer will stay in my ears
I have to walk around with the hipster Cans on now these days.

Last edited by pablohoney87; 09-11-2011 at 16:09.
09-11-2011, 16:05   #12
paulmclaughlin

I wish haha
09-11-2011, 16:45   #13
Barry.Oglesby
Banned

OP don't sweat it. Contrary to popular belief, most people don't get them. If you do, be smart, get some earguards or just take a week off the mat. Get them drained and make sure you compression wrap them afterwards to prevent them filling up again. Once they're healed, wear the earguards for a little while.
Thanks from:
09-11-2011, 19:20   #14
Sid_Justice
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowzerp View Post
go to the ear hospital and get it sliced and drained, they will stitch it and after 4-5 days your ear will be ok and wont be full of scar tissue from the syringes,
are you able to just stroll up and get this done? do you need referral from gp?
i spoke to my gp about this (auricular hematoma) and she hadn't a clue?
09-11-2011, 20:38   #15
nino1

thanks lads

what would you say gives better protection, scrum cap or wrestling ear protectors?

Obviously you can get scrum caps in any sport shop but where would you get wrestling ear protectors, any ideas, i'm based in cork city?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion