Carina E - blowing blue smoke - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-10-2011, 21:48   #16
Nissan doctor
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitpwee View Post
If you read my post again you will see that I said 'that engine was finished' this was based on my knowledge that he had run it low on oil and that those engines don't blow blue smoke.

You have said that i said 'an engine is finished' this is a totally different statement and one which I did not say as it has totally different connotations. For example I have a Austin A35 that is blowing blue smoke, I do not think that the A series engine is finished as I am dealing with it in a different context then the Op's engine.
It would appear that you have taken me up on a comment that I didn't make.

As for your comments on them not blowing blue smoke but their ability to consume oil. I can only assume that you have not worked on the 4afe engine in question. If you had you wouldn't be coming up with juvenile questions like that.
You have vast knowledge of car mechanics I'll give you that but you won't catch me out on this subject as I have greater knowledge on this car than you.

Regards

Kermitpwee

I don't need to try to 'catch anyone out'. You rightly say they all burn oil as the mileage rises, how do you think this oil is being burned? It leaks through the stem seals on these engines , as the problem gets worse, smoke will be visible, initially on start up and eventually any time the engine is revved. Most Toyota A and E series engine of the time suffer this problem.

There are only 2 ways oil can leak into the combustion chamber, either through the piston rings or through the valve stem seals, a leak down test will show any issue with the rings/pistons etc. If this is ok then the stem seals need changing and this can be done without even removing the head.

If your point it that because this engine has been run low on oil a number of times and therefor is ruined, well first of all if damage has been caused it will be noisy when running, second, damage begins in the head as low oil pressure leads to the cams/lifters etc being starved of oil first so the condition of those, and therefor the likelyhood of further damage, can be assesed when the rocker cover is removed.
Nissan doctor is offline  
Advertisement
16-10-2011, 23:10   #17
andyseadog
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,425
surely if a car is burning oil in such large quantities that it needs to be checked every 500~ miles it will produce blue smoke?

i mean when oil is being burnt, isn't blue smoke something that will be there, it's not a "will it, wont it" kind of thing is it?
andyseadog is offline  
16-10-2011, 23:24   #18
Nissan doctor
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyseadog View Post
surely if a car is burning oil in such large quantities that it needs to be checked every 500~ miles it will produce blue smoke?

i mean when oil is being burnt, isn't blue smoke something that will be there, it's not a "will it, wont it" kind of thing is it?

Yes, oil level can only drop 3 ways, leaking externally, leaking internally into the cooling system or leaking internally into the combustion chamber.

Externally will have obvious signs, into the cooling system will be coupled with cooling issues.
When leaking into the combustion chamber and being burned, there will be smoke, how much depends on how bad the leak is. If someones engine is 'burning' oil then either its not leaking badly enough to cause noticable smoke or they just haven't noticed any smoke.

Last edited by Nissan doctor; 17-10-2011 at 00:24.
Nissan doctor is offline  
Thanks from:
17-10-2011, 00:49   #19
Wheelnut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Out the road a bit.
Posts: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitpwee View Post
... at the moment my mam has one and dad is driving one(both are 96 and in maroon...
I know the thread has moved on from here, but I admire Kermit's parents still driving at 96, I never heard of Maroon but I presume it's a village somewhere in this country.
Wheelnut is offline  
(3) thanks from:
17-10-2011, 01:02   #20
kermitpwee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelnut View Post
I know the thread has moved on from here, but I admire Kermit's parents still driving at 96, I never heard of Maroon but I presume it's a village somewhere in this country.
You obviously have led a very sheltered life and I drive a 1990 car
kermitpwee is offline  
Advertisement
17-10-2011, 12:40   #21
manatoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 283
Hi all

NissanDoctor, PM sent.

Everyone else - yeah, I know I practiced very shoddy maintenance on this but in my own defence, it gets through so much oil that even if I had been servicing it every 6k I would probably have had to top up by a full 4 litres before service time anyway which I assume means something must be wrong.

Kermit, what pace do your 4afes get through oil? How many miles per litre added approx?

Thanks
manatoo is offline  
17-10-2011, 13:08   #22
kermitpwee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by manatoo View Post
Hi all

NissanDoctor, PM sent.

Everyone else - yeah, I know I practiced very shoddy maintenance on this but in my own defence, it gets through so much oil that even if I had been servicing it every 6k I would probably have had to top up by a full 4 litres before service time anyway which I assume means something must be wrong.

Kermit, what pace do your 4afes get through oil? How many miles per litre added approx?

Thanks
To be honest I check the oil so often I wouldn't be able to give a definite figure but I could give a estimate. The low mileage engine 140k would burn from the top mark on the dipstick to the low in about 3000 miles. The other car 294k would burn that level out in 1000miles.
kermitpwee is offline  
17-10-2011, 13:38   #23
manatoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitpwee View Post
To be honest I check the oil so often I wouldn't be able to give a definite figure but I could give a estimate. The low mileage engine 140k would burn from the top mark on the dipstick to the low in about 3000 miles. The other car 294k would burn that level out in 1000miles.

How many litres would you say is the difference between the top and bottom marks on the dipstick?

In fairness, I'd say my consumption is somewhere between the two you're mentioning. I certainly don't think I'm gettin thru it at the rate you're saying for the 294k engine. You must either be doing low mileage or constantly turfing oil into that one!

Is there never even the slightest whiff of oil burning in the exhaust if you stand beside them with the engine running or if you are stopped in traffic at night can you see puffs in the headlights of the car behind when stopped at lights etc?

294k is enormous mileage. What mileage had that car when you bought it? What repairs have you had?
manatoo is offline  
17-10-2011, 14:16   #24
kermitpwee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by manatoo View Post
How many litres would you say is the difference between the top and bottom marks on the dipstick?

In fairness, I'd say my consumption is somewhere between the two you're mentioning. I certainly don't think I'm gettin thru it at the rate you're saying for the 294k engine. You must either be doing low mileage or constantly turfing oil into that one!

Is there never even the slightest whiff of oil burning in the exhaust if you stand beside them with the engine running or if you are stopped in traffic at night can you see puffs in the headlights of the car behind when stopped at lights etc?

294k is enormous mileage. What mileage had that car when you bought it? What repairs have you had?
I dont actually know how many litres there is in between the low and high mark on the dipstick. We bought it off a neighbour with 101k on it, it had a service history, from then on I serviced it every 6k without fail myself.
For the nct it needed bushins,brake lines and drop links and a tie rod twice.
It also needed a steering rack and the no3 injector was replaced once.It got a set of disks at 200k and cylinders and shoes in the back at 250k. It also got a radiator.

It doesn't blow smoke, only time I see smoke is on a cold day at start up which in my book is normal.
My dad uses it as his daily driver and has been to England in it 2 months ago. It is tested till 4/13 and needed brake lines for the test.

It wont win any beauty contests but will sit at 75mph on the motorway and in normal driving is quite good on fuel. My dad will be driving it into the ground, the body is rust free so we expect to get another 5-6 years out of it, I have spare engines and boxes so that is why we will keep it running. It may never need those parts but as I have them it wont be costing anything to keep it going if the engine went etc where as for anybody else it would be going to the scrapper.

Last edited by kermitpwee; 17-10-2011 at 14:19.
kermitpwee is offline  
Advertisement
17-10-2011, 14:20   #25
RoverJames
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by manatoo View Post
How many litres would you say is the difference between the top and bottom marks on the dipstick?.........
A litre +/- 250mls I would think.
RoverJames is offline  
Thanks from:
17-10-2011, 15:24   #26
manatoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverJames View Post
A litre +/- 250mls I would think.
Have you experience of this engine? This wouldn't be a standard number in most cars would it?
manatoo is offline  
18-10-2011, 10:42   #27
RoverJames
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by manatoo View Post
Have you experience of this engine?
Yes, I topped up more than a few for folk when I worked in a factors years ago, to bring the level from half way between min and max on the dipstick to the max mark took over a half litre of oil iirc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by manatoo View Post
This wouldn't be a standard number in most cars would it?
No, but 750mls to 1250mls is a decent enough range in fairness.
RoverJames is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet