Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are Water Flossers any good?

Options
  • 10-10-2011 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

I have a crown on a premolar that is prone to getting debris stuck between it and it's neighboring molar, just below the gumline. The gum becomes inflamed and can bleed as I try to dislodge whatever's stuck with floss and tepe brushes. It's happened twice in the last 9 - 12 months or so. Last time my dentist blasted it out with a water jet implement.

It's happened again and I'm wondering if one of those water flossers, like this... http://www.amazon.com/Waterpik-WP-100W-Ultra-Water-Flosser/dp/B000GLRREU would be any good at dislodging whatever's stuck in there? All the bumph says it will clean below the gumline so anyone use one and find it does that?

Any advice appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

I've just been reading about water flossers, never knew they existed before today. Studies have shown they are 93% more effective than traditional flossing. Plus water flossing only takes about 1 minute so much quicker as well. I'm defintely going to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hey there. Just wondering did you ever buy the waterflosser machine? If so was it good? Where did you purchase and was it expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Waterflossers are IMHO very good. They are very good for people with implant and conventional bridgework or periodontal disease with gaps between teeth. For the very healthy mouth with gum between all the teeth they are not that great.

They are also VERY messy to use and not portable. Ask you dentist if they would suit you before investing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 John Ivory

Hi guys,
    I have been using an individual water flosser for 5 years. I was great and I decided to buy another one for the family in France, similar to the one in the post above. When I tried it I found the pressure far too low to get any benefit.
    So I bought another one, same as the first one. It is a Panasonic cordless, and cost approx €50. I definitely recommend!

I used to have tooth cavities nearly every year for 20 years. I haven't had a single one for 5 years and here is my secret:

1) I brush my teeth once after breakfast (fast = 30 seconds)

2a) I brush my teeth a second time before going to bed (~30 seconds);

2b) Then I floss with the brilliant "Reach Access" tooth floss (i.e. no messing with putting fingers into your mouth!). It takes ~40 seconds:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5ChCg-_pqEWFdRv4Dn2tWAmC6opQ6H9Pr4X6IQ4vm9AYObKOiFw

2c) Then I use the water flosser (it takes ~60 seconds to empty the little tank):
    media.nl?id=12426&c=617733&h=180051df1bc8e8727024

2d) FINALLY! I finish off with ~30 seconds of mouth wash. I use the ones without alcohol (from Aldi) as I heard bad things about them.

That's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

I love mine but if you do get one, make sure not to make my mistake and use icy cold water in it. The pain was unreal! Lukewarm from the hot tap is the way to go, took me far too long to figure that out!

I have a fancy Waterpik model with lots of options but I only ever use the list basic setting so if I were purchasing again, I'd get the most simple model and save my cash.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement