Research your question. Many questions have been asked and answered many, many, many times before.
There are separate forums for:
Learning to Drive.
Motorhomes & Campervans.
4x4 & Tractors & Diggers & Plant.
If you have a question about a problem with your car (i.e. my car won't start), please make sure you name the make / model / year of the car as accurately as you can.
Yellow card infractions will now be given instead of on thread warnings. These infractions can be imposed for a breach of charter or if the poster is deemed by a moderator to be deliberately obnoxious, unhelpful or trolling. Six or more Yellow infractions within a six month period will earn the poster a ban, the length of this will at the moderators discretion.
* No personal attacks on other members
* Racist remarks will not be tolerated on this forum. Any such remarks will result in either an infraction or ban.
* If you have an issue with moderation then PM the moderator in question. Do NOT argue the point on-thread, as this serves only to derail the thread and will result in a ban.
* No car registrations to be mentioned without photographic proof
* No "why do people not turn off their fog light" threads - they have been done before. Read THIS instead
* If posting images, remember those who still have to endure dial-up.
* Repeated occurrances of “that’s crap” or “you muppet” and other abusive comments in posts will result in a warning and then a good hard banning. If a moderator feels that it is warranted then a ban may apply following just one such comment.
* Old Threads - don't resurrect old threads unnecessarily.
* Don't quote large images in other posts. Change the [img] tag to a [url] tag.
* Caps Lock - it's not that hard to turn them off!
* No txt spk - show some respect to others reading your posts
* Flame wars will not be tolerated (after the humour has worn off that is)
* No Trolling
* KEEP IT CLEAN. That means, NO links to Porn, etc., NO (or at least as little as possible) swearing – the stars are there for a reason you know!.
* This is not After hours ..."yore ma" and "IBTL" rubbish is not welcome here
* No advertising - if you have something to sell then use www.adverts.ie, not here! Items put up for sale will result in the advert being removed and the user getting banned.
* Bannings will be swift.
* Please note the post below regarding complaints
* This is a public forum used by people with no idea what they are talking about. Don't assume the advice given is correct. Maintenance tips offered by forum members, whilst helpful, may not necessarily be correct solution, so if in doubt then contact your nearest dealer or qualified mechanic. If you do something as a result of what you read here, you agree that boards are in no way liable for anything at all - you are responsible for your own actions.
* Opinions offered here may not be informed or objective and that there may be vested interests in the forum.
* Back up your statements - if you make a bold statement then please provide some kind of evidence to back up what you are saying.
* Surveys - Posting of a survey without prior approval from a Mod may result in your thread being deleted without warning.
* It will be assumed that anyone posting within this forum has read and agreed to these rules.
* these rules will change so read them frequently!
* Boards.ie rules apply also.
Some Common Questions Are Likely To Be Answered In These:
* New Car Prices
* How to Service A Car
* New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations
* Importing from the UK - Definitive Guide
* Parking in Dublin
* Tyre size calculator
* How to get a motor tax refund
* The Boards.ie Quick and Dirty Guide to Driving Licences
* Insurance Companies
* The Knowledge - Useful Links for the Motorist
* VRT official site - How much VRT will I have to pay for importing a car
* Vehicle Registration Offices (VRO) Location Finder - for cars not listed in the online VRT enquiry
* Cherished registration number - how to reserve one
* Official NCT Manual - What exactly is tested during the NCT?
* All EU driving licenses are equal. You can exchange your one to an Irish one when moving to Ireland
* Recommended Passenger Vehicle Price List (SIMI)
* 2008 Motor Tax
* Civil Service (untaxed) mileage rates
* Motorway driving - keep left rule (ROTR)
* Do I have to have my car serviced by the main dealer to be covered by the manufacturers warranty? - No you don't!
* Do speedometers have to be accurate? How much can they be out by?
* Are speed meter detectors illegal? (hint: illegal to fit in a car, therefore illegal for the purposes of Motors)
* What MPG does an Evo 5 get?
* Motor Tax Office Contact Numbers for Public Enquiry (PDF)
* Is it a SCAM? - The Motors Scam Mega-thread
* A Guide on Selling a used car in Ireland
Rules of the Road 2011:
Rules of the Road 2011