Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-09-2011, 17:49   #1
godspal

Is Gustav Fring Gay? (Breaking Bad)

I have had my suspicions about Gus for quite sometime, I think it was towards the end of season 3?
However last night's episode has merely strengthen my beliefs in this regard.

Does anyone else believe his gay?

(Be extra careful with the spoilers please, Because Breaking Bad depends on the tension of previous shows.)
Advertisement
05-09-2011, 17:51   #2
Mindkiller
Closed Account

I'm going to say no, though I definately thought I detected some homo undertones in the last episode when Gus (I think) called his 'hermano' his 'partner'. Add to that we haven't seen Gus' wife and children but still, I think no.
05-09-2011, 17:51   #3
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

I don't know if it really matters one way or the other. I didn't pick up on it, personally.

Maybe?
Thanks from:
05-09-2011, 17:59   #4
Mindkiller
Closed Account

I think it would be a rather arbitrary choice by the writers to make him gay. BB is a show all about details. Every little scene can reveal something about a character but I don't see what Gus being gay could do for the narrative.

There was a similar theory a couple of weeks back after Gale's karaoke video with people speculating over whether Gale went to Thailand because of the child-sex trade over there. The conceit of this plot piece being that Gus knew about this and employed him and kept his little secret. It's a little far fetched but plausible. This 'Gus being gay' thing doesn't seem to have any point to it but we'll see I suppose
05-09-2011, 18:02   #5
FloatingVoter

Gus is neither gay nor straight. He is sociopathic. Therefore, whatever suits at the time. I would imagine the soon to be dead Scarface extra taking a piss into the pool has issues however. My lad is reserved for special occasions only, and never for exhibition.
Advertisement
06-09-2011, 04:45   #6
drewTO

I think: yes

Gus is definitely sociopathic, but sociopaths do have sexual orientations. If this Chilean bio-chemist was somebody he loved, it might account for the deep wound in him that makes him so cold and empty seeming. It might account for his anger and his apparent deadness--which might be grief, complicated grief certainly. It wouldn't be an arbitrary plot point, but a key piece of information in understanding a character.

Either way, this was a fascinating episode in a great show!
06-09-2011, 09:37   #7
ziggy

Does this really need it's own thread?

Not enough evidence either way and it's not really important IMO
(5) thanks from:
06-09-2011, 11:28   #8
expectationlost

they pretty much said yes on the official podcast
06-09-2011, 11:47   #9
willonzo

I think yes also, and, if true, it makes a huge difference to Gus' relationship with Hector and why he's spending those friendly visits with him in the home. The whole "sangre por sangre" thing sounded a lot more personal than just business.
Advertisement
06-09-2011, 13:45   #10
ziggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by willonzo View Post
I think yes also, and, if true, it makes a huge difference to Gus' relationship with Hector and why he's spending those friendly visits with him in the home. The whole "sangre por sangre" thing sounded a lot more personal than just business.
My reading from that is that he owes Hector for shooting Hermano and has Hector living in fear for WHEN he is gonna kill him. "Is today the day?"

Whether Gus is doing this because Hermano was his lover/friend/business partner/cook doesn't really matter, the message is if you f**k with Gus he IS gonna make you pay and whenever it suits him.

There will be no forgiveness for Walt, he will HAVE to kill Gus or Gus WILL kill him
06-09-2011, 16:49   #11
squonk

Send a message via MSN to squonk Send a message via Skype™ to squonk
good point Ziggy! I didn't get that from the ep myself but well said! I think that it doesn't matter whether Gus is Gay/Straight or Bi really. It's not essential to the story and there isn't really enough evidence there to support any theory so far.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion