Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Gustav Fring Gay? (Breaking Bad)

• 05-09-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

I have had my suspicions about Gus for quite sometime, I think it was towards the end of season 3?
    However last night's episode has merely strengthen my beliefs in this regard.

Does anyone else believe his gay?

(Be extra careful with the spoilers please, Because Breaking Bad depends on the tension of previous shows.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I'm going to say no, though I definately thought I detected some homo undertones in the last episode when Gus (I think) called his 'hermano' his 'partner'. Add to that we haven't seen Gus' wife and children but still, I think no.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know if it really matters one way or the other. I didn't pick up on it, personally.

Maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I think it would be a rather arbitrary choice by the writers to make him gay. BB is a show all about details. Every little scene can reveal something about a character but I don't see what Gus being gay could do for the narrative.

There was a similar theory a couple of weeks back after Gale's karaoke video with people speculating over whether Gale went to Thailand because of the child-sex trade over there. The conceit of this plot piece being that Gus knew about this and employed him and kept his little secret. It's a little far fetched but plausible. This 'Gus being gay' thing doesn't seem to have any point to it but we'll see I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Gus is neither gay nor straight. He is sociopathic. Therefore, whatever suits at the time. I would imagine the soon to be dead Scarface extra taking a piss into the pool has issues however. My lad is reserved for special occasions only, and never for exhibition.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 drewTO

Gus is definitely sociopathic, but sociopaths do have sexual orientations. If this Chilean bio-chemist was somebody he loved, it might account for the deep wound in him that makes him so cold and empty seeming. It might account for his anger and his apparent deadness--which might be grief, complicated grief certainly. It wouldn't be an arbitrary plot point, but a key piece of information in understanding a character.

Either way, this was a fascinating episode in a great show!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they pretty much said yes on the official podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 21 willonzo

I think yes also, and, if true, it makes a huge difference to Gus' relationship with Hector and why he's spending those friendly visits with him in the home. The whole "sangre por sangre" thing sounded a lot more personal than just business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭squonk

good point Ziggy! I didn't get that from the ep myself but well said! I think that it doesn't matter whether Gus is Gay/Straight or Bi really. It's not essential to the story and there isn't really enough evidence there to support any theory so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement