Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-08-2011, 03:19   #1
blackpowder

Restricted, Unrestricted, and Prohibited Calibers. - Explain.

hello ,can anyone tell me is the 44 /40 caliber restricted in the repubic of ireland for rifles? what calibers are legal in ireland going up in caliber from your 22 caliber when restricted is mentioned i presume we mean heavy calibers like 50 /70 can someone on here take a second to explain what is legal and restricted thank you all
Advertisement
28-08-2011, 04:06   #2
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
There is a world of difference in what you asked about so if you don't mind i changed the title to reflect this and started the ball rolling with a fairly general answer.
  1. Firearms that are over .308 in caliber are deemed restricted. This means that the security level applicable is higher, the reason will be more closely scrutinised and the application can only be dealt with by a Chief Super.
  2. Firearms of .308 and under are deemed unrestricted. Less security (amount of firearm dependant), and processed by your Super.
  3. All firearms of centrefire nature and being semi auto are restricted and fall under the criteria outlined in point 1.
  4. All centre fire handguns are restricted.
  5. Most .22 rimfire handguns are unrestricted. Once the mag capacity is 5 or under.
  6. The next category are Prohibited forearms. These are firearms that will not be licensed in Ireland. Such as fully automatic fireamrs, etc.
  7. Most calibers of fireamr can be licensed. You must show valid/good reason to need one, and usually show why a smaller/lesser caliber firearm could not perform the same task.
  8. There are far more detailed descriptions within the firearms act which at 4 in the morning i'm simply too lazy to go look for. May try tomorrow.
To summarise;
  • Restricted - Allowed/legal bu higher checks to acquire.
  • Unrestricted - Allowed/legal.
  • Prohibited - Not allowed/ usually illegal.
28-08-2011, 09:50   #3
It wasn't me!

It's also worth noting that no applications for restricted short firearms are being considered, so no centrefire handguns. In other words, in a rifle, the 44/40 is licensable, but not in a pistol.
28-08-2011, 16:03   #4
blackpowder

calibres

than:)x for the info ezrid
28-08-2011, 17:45   #5
tac foley

AFAIR, 44-40 is not strictly speaking a rifle calibre these days unless you count the many versions of underlever carbines available. There are quite a few in our club - but I've never seen anything other than an underlever-type long arm in this calibre.

In UK we can also have the the mutually interchangeable .44 Special/.44 Rem Mag - in long-barrelled revolver or in an underlever carbine or short rifle. Marlin, Winchester [until recently], Rossi and Uberti all make fine underlever guns in these calibres.

tac

Last edited by tac foley; 28-08-2011 at 23:43.
Advertisement
29-08-2011, 22:06   #6
blackpowder

hi i was chatting with my uncle recently about shooting and i was just saying to him its not the easiest sport to get in to he claimed that things were a lot stricter under f,gael in the 1980's that basically dessie o malloy made it only legal for a 22 calibre rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun is this really the truth?
29-08-2011, 22:23   #7
rowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
hi i was chatting with my uncle recently about shooting and i was just saying to him its not the easiest sport to get in to he claimed that things were a lot stricter under f,gael in the 1980's that basically dessie o malloy made it only legal for a 22 calibre rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun is this really the truth?
Yes, .22 centrefire calibres for deerstalkers, no centrefire rifle target shooting that i am aware of .
29-08-2011, 22:39   #8
blackpowder

rowa

if that was the way back then we certainly were not spoilt for choice it was very draconian the old super here wasn't the easiest at even giving out licenses for 22.s thankfully the younger chap in now is much more open about shooting sports
29-08-2011, 22:58   #9
rowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
if that was the way back then we certainly were not spoilt for choice it was very draconian the old super here wasn't the easiest at even giving out licenses for 22.s thankfully the younger chap in now is much more open about shooting sports
I always felt the older generation of guard suspected anyone wanting a firearms licence was a closet terrorist , it was certainly the vibe i used to get when heading in to a station to make an application, the younger generation of guard are certainly much less suspicious.
Advertisement
29-08-2011, 23:11   #10
blackpowder

i totally agree with you rowa ,unless you lived on a farm they weren' t to good at giving out licenses , here in my home place it took the old super an absolute age to allow you to get a firearms license i had to apply 3 times you werenot given a reason if your application failed ,i think back in the 80;s for a centre fire for hunting you needed something like 50 signatures or something i may be wrong about that but something crazy anyway , i think the mentality was rowa back then from the guards was 'we are the state police we are unharmed why would you need a firearm ?' i dont think shooting sports was taken on too well i think this harped back to the time of the civil war to be honest thanfully a lot has changed if there some people got their ay back then there would be no firearms at all in ireland
29-08-2011, 23:12   #11
blackpowder

i totally agree with you rowa ,unless you lived on a farm they weren' t to good at giving out licenses , here in my home place it took the old super an absolute age to allow you to get a firearms license i had to apply 3 times you werenot given a reason if your application failed ,i think back in the 80;s for a centre fire for hunting you needed something like 50 signatures or something i may be wrong about that but something crazy anyway , i think the mentality was rowa back then from the guards was 'we are the state police we are unharmed why would you need a firearm ?' i dont think shooting sports was taken on too well i think this harped back to the time of the civil war to be honest thanfully a lot has changed if there some people got their way back then there would be no firearms at all in ireland
29-08-2011, 23:17   #12
blackpowder

to be honest i,d like to see the day when i could do a little bit of bp shooting hopefully soon when the explosive laws are cleared up i,d hate to coming on boards.ie 3 years time asking the same questions about reloading propellant primers and the whole sonario of trying to go down the c42 route
31-08-2011, 20:32   #13
Stovepipe

Hi all,
Are the German Mauser Kar 98s allowed?

regards
Stovepipe
31-08-2011, 20:35   #14
newby.204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovepipe View Post
Hi all,
Are the German Mauser Kar 98s allowed?

regards
Stovepipe
restricted if its in 7.92mm(8mm mauser), unless the one you getting has been rebarreled to .308
31-08-2011, 20:50   #15
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
I know feck all about vintage rifles so excuse my ignorance on the subject, but is the Mauser KAR98 not a bolt action 6.5?

I only know or ask because a friend has one and thats the caliber. Now i know that alot of rifle come in different calibers, but i don't think/know if the idea of same model in various calibers was a rich as it is now.

If it is the 6.5 and bolt action then its unrestricted.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion