Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-07-2011, 22:24   #1
delta-boy

Do you need a passport to get into France?

Evening,

Just a quick question, fellas. I hopefully will be travelling to France for a potential career change in the next 10 months, I'm just wondering will I be able to use the GARDA Age Card, or will I have to bring my valid passport prior to getting on the flight and entering the country?

-Thanks!
Advertisement
17-07-2011, 22:30   #2
gustafo

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta-boy View Post
Evening,

Just a quick question, fellas. I hopefully will be travelling to France for a potential career change in the next 10 months, I'm just wondering will I be able to use the GARDA Age Card, or will I have to bring my valid passport prior to getting on the flight and entering the country?

-Thanks!
you will need your passport for sure going to france, it's only the uk that some airlines will leave you use other i.d's
17-07-2011, 22:32   #3
amdublin

Yes.

Even the uk I think you need your passport.
17-07-2011, 22:39   #4
Stinicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta-boy View Post
Evening,

-Thanks!
You will need your passport for travel to France both at check-in and again at French border controls when you arrive there.

The Garda age card is of no use for travel purposes and can not be used for any travel, it's purpose is to state that you have reached the legal age to purchase alcohol in Ireland of 18. It is not a National ID card like issued by many European Countries which is valid for travel within the EU, however Ireland nor the UK issues a National ID card so we have to use our passports. The UK scrapped their ID card when the tories came to power last year.

Perhaps if you are thinking of emigrating to France you may be able to get yourself a French ID card which would allow you to travel without a Passport in the EU, however i'm unsure if they issue them to non-Citizens or not. However you will need your Irish passport for travel to all countries world-wide except the UK as we have the common travel area, in which case only Valid photo ID is required, eg. an Irish or UK Driving Licence, ironically though despite the common travel area Ryanair require the use of Passports on all their flights even Domestic Irish ones!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion