Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-04-2011, 11:11   #1
delta1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 37
attic conversion cost - waterford

looking to do an attic conversion on a 2 bed end of terrace, basically one bedroon a en-suite. Has anyone done one lately how much roughly. Can anyone recommend anyone in dungarvan waterford area
delta1980 is offline  
Advertisement
11-04-2011, 22:57   #2
nad25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
Hi delta1980,
Just got quoted 11,000 for an attic conversion today. I'm in Dublin. Still seems a bit steep for what I want - basic conversion, no bathroom, cut roof, terraced house. (And taking into a/c the fact that the guy said he could start by tomorrow). Planning on using the space as a playroom for the kiddies. I've spent the evening filling in query forms on various websites so should have a bit more knowledge tomorrow. Will let you know ...
nad25 is offline  
11-04-2011, 23:00   #3
Carpenter
Registered User
 
Carpenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dublin/Kusadasi
Posts: 2,419
Send a message via MSN to Carpenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by nad25 View Post
Hi delta1980,
Just got quoted 11,000 for an attic conversion today. I'm in Dublin. Still seems a bit steep for what I want - basic conversion, no bathroom, cut roof, terraced house. (And taking into a/c the fact that the guy said he could start by tomorrow). Planning on using the space as a playroom for the kiddies. I've spent the evening filling in query forms on various websites so should have a bit more knowledge tomorrow. Will let you know ...
What are you getting for your cash (Have you a break down in the price)
Carpenter is offline  
11-04-2011, 23:25   #4
nad25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
Not really, usual waffle. Looks like it's going to be a long slog to find someone I trust. I've seen a few people over the last few days - surprisingly a lot of them are reluctant to provide written quotes ... Hmmm
nad25 is offline  
11-04-2011, 23:38   #5
Carlow52
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta1980 View Post
looking to do an attic conversion on a 2 bed end of terrace, basically one bedroon a en-suite. Has anyone done one lately how much roughly. Can anyone recommend anyone in dungarvan waterford area
will this make the house a 3 storey, if so there are fire reg issues, especially if a bedroom.

the ensuite at that height will make it tricky enough to get right
I would say 20k
Carlow52 is offline  
Advertisement
13-04-2011, 23:58   #6
eosirl08.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlow52 View Post
will this make the house a 3 storey, if so there are fire reg issues, especially if a bedroom.

the ensuite at that height will make it tricky enough to get right
I would say 20k
yeah your right about that. probably somewhere between 17- 20k
eosirl08. is offline  
21-04-2011, 13:34   #7
nad25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
So, a quick update on how we have been getting on with our proposed attic conversion.

I have been quoted in the ranges of 10,000 - 13,000. Many have provided written quotes which are quited detailed.

Some specify steel RSJs which others claim that these are not needed and can support the roof with the existing purlins and additional timber struts.

Still looking around and will post up when more info becomes available.
nad25 is offline  
21-04-2011, 14:31   #8
eosirl08.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by nad25 View Post
So, a quick update on how we have been getting on with our proposed attic conversion.

I have been quoted in the ranges of 10,000 - 13,000. Many have provided written quotes which are quited detailed.

Some specify steel RSJs which others claim that these are not needed and can support the roof with the existing purlins and additional timber struts.

Still looking around and will post up when more info becomes available.
they seem like very reasonable quotes. obviously its hard to put an exact price without seeing it but you would be doing very well to get it done for under 15k. best of luck with it
eosirl08. is offline  
21-05-2011, 19:57   #9
sotoole1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nad25 View Post
So, a quick update on how we have been getting on with our proposed attic conversion.

I have been quoted in the ranges of 10,000 - 13,000. Many have provided written quotes which are quited detailed.

Some specify steel RSJs which others claim that these are not needed and can support the roof with the existing purlins and additional timber struts.

Still looking around and will post up when more info becomes available.
The reason behind this is when you use structural steel the evidence of good work is for the eye to see. So in the future if you plan to sell your property a surveyer will pass the conversion with no hesitation.
Now you can also join the floor joists in the centre of the attic space floor, but the problem there is you would need an on-site architect to oversee and pass the work which would be an added cost and push costs up considerably. And remember not all architects and surveyers look through the same eyes. So this way is not going to garaurntee a perfect property sale in the future.

Getting back to pricing I myself price at €10000 for an attic conversion to a standard 3 bed house. Which is very reasonable.
Note dont be fooled by jokers pricing between 6k-9k because I have been there and seen these botched jobs ,and also so called builders fooling the client into handing over large deposits and doing a Harry Houdini.
Take care.
sotoole1 is offline  
Advertisement
22-05-2011, 23:36   #10
650gs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 581
Does 10,000 include having the job certified as Im sure you know you can never sell the house without this and its very hard to get it done afterwards
650gs is offline  
23-05-2011, 10:35   #11
sotoole1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650gs View Post
Does 10,000 include having the job certified as Im sure you know you can never sell the house without this and its very hard to get it done afterwards
As the price is as low as can be no it does not include a certificate of compliance.
But it could be arranged very easily by any builder, I think its costs between €150 -€300 depending on the firm you employ.
But in saying that when you use the RSJs(structural steel) you can get the cert anytime for your own peace of mind .
And anyway if you where to later sell your house the buyers surveyer would be passing the works on his report which would be of no cost to yourself.
My advice is if your getting a conversion done insist on your builder using structural steel.
sotoole1 is offline  
23-05-2011, 13:23   #12
martinn123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: on the way back up.
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotoole1 View Post
As the price is as low as can be no it does not include a certificate of compliance.
But it could be arranged very easily by any builder, I think its costs between €150 -€300 depending on the firm you employ.
Certs should not be arranged by builder as there is a conflict of interest. Employ your own engineer/arch.
Quote:
But in saying that when you use the RSJs(structural steel) you can get the cert anytime for your own peace of mind .
And anyway if you where to later sell your house the buyers surveyer would be passing the works on his report which would be of no cost to yourself.
Not accurate, in selling a house you can be expected to supply a Cert of Compliance with Building Reg's and Planning, to a prospective purchaser..........the buyers surveyor will not sign off for example on works covered up.......and if appointed by a Bank, will be carrying out a valuation..
Quote:
My advice is if your getting a conversion done insist on your builder using structural steel.
martinn123 is offline  
Thanks from:
14-07-2011, 11:47   #13
kevin101
Registered User
 
kevin101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 78
In response to the above - I viewed a 4 bed semi that had also a fantastic attic conversion done on it last year. Went sale agreed but got an engineer in to look at house. All was fine until he looked at the attic. Firstly no Cert of compliance and secondly he said that it was never supported correctly. He said we would have issues down the road with sagging of roof. The sellers then had a builder and engineer look at it and they confirmed what our engineer said. They never installed RSJ's. We pulled out of the house and I have heard that they are still trying to rectify the problems. It is difficult to sell houses afterwards if not done correctly and also fire regs should be adhered to strictly. Thread carefully and don't accept the cheapest quote and always view previous work of the contractor
kevin101 is offline  
11-02-2013, 16:44   #14
nikkime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 48
Make sure you get lots of good ideas from websites like Houzz or attic conversions dublin - and get a good builder who can show hi portfolio of work
nikkime is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet