Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Bras for making my boobs look smaller?

• 12-07-2011 6:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

A thread in here reminded me that I wanted to post this a while ago. :)

9 months ago, I was a size 22 with a 44H bra size.

In the last 9 months, I have lost a fair bit of weight and wear a 14 on top, 16 on bottom. The weight was almost completely lost through exercise, because although I changed my diet, I still ate what I wanted, just in moderation. I always ate healthy meals but ate waaaay too many crisps :p

Anyway, since I lost the weight, I assumed my boobs would lose weight too, but nope. I've lost weight in the back and am a 36H :rolleyes:

So basically my boobs look ridiculously out of proportion to my body and I'm REALLY struggling to find tops that fit my chest that aren't baggy on my stomach. Nothing that I wear hides them. I can't wear low cut clothes and even a high necked t-shirt looks bad because they're too big :(

Is there any particular style of bra that would basically make them look smaller but not squashed? (I've been properly measured btw). I have to wear wired and padded bras for support, I can't wear those lace or cotton things.

ANy suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I'm not sure about the style of bra, a proper underwear shop should be able to advise you though! Check out figleaves.com - they do great deals on bras for bigger boobs but without the bigger prices :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You can get minimiser bras, I think they do squash you a bit though.

A good underwear shop should be able to help.

For the tops, would you consider having your clothes tailored? If you get 3 or 4 good tops, that much can go a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Yeah, I've started to take in my clothes in the stomach area (thank God I was able to dig out my old sewing machine :) ), but I've never heard of minimizer bras. Must go google that now. Thanks a million :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Yeah, I've started to take in my clothes in the stomach area (thank God I was able to dig out my old sewing machine :) ), but I've never heard of minimizer bras. Must go google that now. Thanks a million :)

Waist clinching belts are a godsend if you end up having to buy a dress/top that's too big on the waist, I use them alot if I have to get a dress a size up.

The minimizer bras aren't great tbh, it kind of feels like your boobs are squashed and it's not very comfortable, I've only tried them on in changing rooms though so maybe it's different if you're wearing it all the time. A good non-padded, supportive bra looks and feels alot better imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

G86 wrote: »
    Waist clinching belts are a godsend if you end up having to buy a dress/top that's too big on the waist, I use them alot if I have to get a dress a size up.

The minimizer bras aren't great tbh, it kind of feels like your boobs are squashed and it's not very comfortable, I've only tried them on in changing rooms though so maybe it's different if you're wearing it all the time. A good non-padded, supportive bra looks and feels alot better imo.

I love waist belts, but since I lost weight they just seem to draw even more attention to my boobs >_> Maybe if I wear them a bit lower down or something.. must look into this.

I really don't care if a bra is uncomfortable, it's just that I don't want my boobs looking squashed. I still want them to look like nice boobs :p

Thanks so much for all your help, guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I love waist belts, but since I lost weight they just seem to draw even more attention to my boobs >_> Maybe if I wear them a bit lower down or something.. must look into this.

I really don't care if a bra is uncomfortable, it's just that I don't want my boobs looking squashed. I still want them to look like nice boobs :p

Thanks so much for all your help, guys.

Aye the chunky wider belt can do that alright, but I normally wear wee narrow ones - they might suit you better?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know exactly what you mean about clothes not fitting right as I am quite chesty too. I know your looking for bra's to make your chest look smaller but have you checked out Pepperberry? They are a sister company of Bravissimo and they make clothes for larger chested women. They have a good selection of shirts, tops, dresses etc that are made to accommodate your larger chest but still fit well overall. You say your a size 14 so for example you pick a size 14 top and then you pick whether you're curvy, really curvy or super curvy depending on how boobylicous you are. I'm not sure i'm explaining this great so here's a link to how their sizing works. http://www.bravissimo.com/pepperberry/sizeguide/your-pepperberry-size/

I know its not exactly what you are looking for but could be a good alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Hi OP! From my experience (32JJ at the moment) minimisers are AWFUL!! Avoid them if you can, they just make you feel all squashed up and uncomfortable. Have you been professionally fitted for a bra since you lost the weight? I only ask because over the last year and a half or so I've also lost a fair lot of weight and went from a 36 back to a 32, and thought my boobs hadn't really changed much at all, but in fact they had gone from a 36KK (a horrible size to try and find) to a 32JJ. The one thing I find about having big boobs is that when you're wearing a perfectly fitting bra, your boobs look a lot smaller than they actually are. Most people I talk to about bras don't believe my size, I've had to show a few people the label to prove it to them. I use Bravissimo and Figleaves for all my bras but usually get fitted in town maybe twice a year just to keep on top of things. Try and avoid plunge bras as they can make you look very big and cause a bit of spillage if the size isn't right, and where possible go for a more full cup with not too much lacy detail as that can add to the bulk. And obviously try and avoid padded bras too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Hi OP! From my experience (32JJ at the moment) minimisers are AWFUL!! Avoid them if you can, they just make you feel all squashed up and uncomfortable. Have you been professionally fitted for a bra since you lost the weight? I only ask because over the last year and a half or so I've also lost a fair lot of weight and went from a 36 back to a 32, and thought my boobs hadn't really changed much at all, but in fact they had gone from a 36KK (a horrible size to try and find) to a 32JJ. The one thing I find about having big boobs is that when you're wearing a perfectly fitting bra, your boobs look a lot smaller than they actually are. Most people I talk to about bras don't believe my size, I've had to show a few people the label to prove it to them. I use Bravissimo and Figleaves for all my bras but usually get fitted in town maybe twice a year just to keep on top of things. Try and avoid plunge bras as they can make you look very big and cause a bit of spillage if the size isn't right, and where possible go for a more full cup with not too much lacy detail as that can add to the bulk. And obviously try and avoid padded bras too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

My Mammy is generously endowed and swears by Marks and Spencers minimiser bras, she reckons they're the best ones out there...unfortunately I have no need to test them myself...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I tried a minimiser years ago.It was awful.Was like I had a tubular frontage.
    At the time I wasnt even that big.Stupid really being put down for your very assets.

Triumph minimiser bras are good.

(I work in lingerie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

M&S sizers, are rubbish, I got measured when I was pregnant and according to them had gone down two cup sizes and up two back sizes :eek: yet when i bought a bra based on thier sizes I had 4 boobs, not to mention the flab over every strap, couldnt wear it for two mins :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    M&S sizers, are rubbish, I got measured when I was pregnant and according to them had gone down two cup sizes and up two back sizes :eek: yet when i bought a bra based on thier sizes I had 4 boobs, not to mention the flab over every strap, couldnt wear it for two mins :(

I think they're awful too (the sizer/measuring ladies). I was told I'd a C cup the last time I went in there (currently at a size-of-my-head E).

Arnotts have great measuring ladies though.

Congrats on the weight loss by the way OP, that's seriously impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I completely understand where you're coming from and I've found that minimizer bras help make my chest look smaller. And they don't create that unflattering squashed look you're talking about either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A well fitted bra combined with good tops will do no end of good in terms of minimizing your boobs imo.

I'm a size 10 and have 32E boobs, but don't feel they are any way prominent or obvious mainly due to the bras I wear (balcony or full cup) and the tops over.

One thing I really find helps is to wear a vest top or round neck vest under a v necked top, draws attention away imo, no massive cleavage to look at.

Tops wise look for wrap tops/shirts, or any type of top that emphasises your waist, it helps draw attention from the boobs. If they have any ruching at all that helps even more.

Advertisement