Your Motorhome / Conversion, VRT and You. - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-07-2011, 11:09   #16
unfit2006

PaddyP,

thanks for that. How do you think that would go with a conversion on a Caravelle or something similar where the original vrt would have been paid at the private car rate ? Another example would be a small minibus maybe.

Lets say that revenue calculated that as a converted camper it was now liable for €1,000 vrt based on it's OMSP, would they then offset the vrt that was paid on the vehicle originally ?
Advertisement
04-07-2011, 11:36   #17
Buford T Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfit2006 View Post
PaddyP,

thanks for that. How do you think that would go with a conversion on a Caravelle or something similar where the original vrt would have been paid at the private car rate ? Another example would be a small minibus maybe.

Lets say that revenue calculated that as a converted camper it was now liable for €1,000 vrt based on it's OMSP, would they then offset the vrt that was paid on the vehicle originally ?

If you have imported a vehicle, paid commercial or private VRT and re-classified it, then what you have already paid will be offset. EG, my VRT was €660, but I only paid €610 as I had already paid the €50. Not sure what the story with a vehicle that was first regged in Ireland though

Quote:
Originally Posted by cian1500ww View Post
Is it possible to get a large vehicle ie. a truck reclassified as a camper?? We're thinking of converting one but it's gross weight is over 6 ton.
Re-classifying it should be ok, but read the form I have linked to about re-classifying, its in there. If its a HGV you are re-classifying you may have issues with insurance though, so you might want to check that out first.
Thanks from:
04-07-2011, 13:13   #18
unfit2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers McGee View Post
If you have imported a vehicle, paid commercial or private VRT and re-classified it, then what you have already paid will be offset. EG, my VRT was €660, but I only paid €610 as I had already paid the €50. Not sure what the story with a vehicle that was first regged in Ireland though

Any other opinions on this ?

Does it apply only in the case where the van was imported into Ireland as a used vehicle by it's current owner ?
04-07-2011, 23:03   #19
paddymul

taxed as camper

any idea what the situation is with a conversion that is already taxed as a camper for the past 6 years but where there as been no vrt paid.
05-07-2011, 01:03   #20
Buford T Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddymul View Post
any idea what the situation is with a conversion that is already taxed as a camper for the past 6 years but where there as been no vrt paid.
You take you're chances when you go to tax it again then, basically. They can refuse to tax it for you as a motorhome when its listed as a commercial vehicle on the RF101
Advertisement
05-07-2011, 19:06   #21
paddymul

its down as a motor caravan onthe RF101 sowhere does that leave me I wonder
05-07-2011, 20:38   #22
Buford T Justice

If its a motorcaravan on the RF101 then it's already been re-classified. no need to worry about VRT.
06-07-2011, 01:22   #23
paddyp
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddymul View Post
its down as a motor caravan onthe RF101 sowhere does that leave me I wonder
If its down as motor caravan I can't see the tax office arguing with taxing it at camper rate, maybe you need to go to another tax office.
14-07-2011, 20:21   #24
sam.b

Hello, inspired by this this thread (and the removal of the 1.8m rule). I finished my conversion and I headed down to my local NAIS garage with my form in hand completed as per your instructions above.

The SQI there wanted to complete this part of the form too though, so provided another copy which I only signed. His versions states N1 converted to N1 ( not m1)..Does this matter? Is N1 a camper too? He said changing to M1 means I would have to pay or private road tax?

P.s its a VW transporter panel van at the moment, also it cost me 100 yoyo and he laminated both forms after stamping them.

Last edited by sam.b; 14-07-2011 at 20:23.
Advertisement
14-07-2011, 20:32   #25
Buford T Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.b View Post
Hello, inspired by this this thread (and the removal of the 1.8m rule). I finished my conversion and I headed down to my local NAIS garage with my form in hand completed as per your instructions above.

The SQI there wanted to complete this part of the form too though, so provided another copy which I only signed. His versions states N1 converted to N1 ( not m1)..Does this matter? Is N1 a camper too? He said changing to M1 means I would have to pay or private road tax?

P.s its a VW transporter panel van at the moment, also it cost me 100 yoyo and he laminated both forms after stamping them.
Ye it matters. Very much so. He doesn't have a bulls notion as to what he's talking about. N1 to N1 is not a re-classification. They will return the form to you.

Private tax my arse. He's thinking of N1 as a commercial vehicle for tax purposes, but you will not be taxing you're vehicle as privately either, it will be a Motorcaravan, which is different again.

On page 2 of the reclassification form, it states that:
Quote:
To be deemed a motor caravan for vehicle registration purposes, a vehicle must be an EU Category M1, M2 or M3 vehicle with a bodytype SA
Fill the form out yourself, and only ask him to sign and stamp the form, and a certificate on headed paper. Rosslare will not process the form with a reclassification from N1 to N1
14-07-2011, 20:39   #26
sam.b

Damn..thought that was dodgy.. What about number of seats, I had from 3 to 5 (as the bed is 2 seats), and belts 3-5 as well
14-07-2011, 21:54   #27
Buford T Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.b View Post
Damn..thought that was dodgy.. What about number of seats, I had from 3 to 5 (as the bed is 2 seats), and belts 3-5 as well
Just put in what you have done with it. If you've 5 seats and 5 belts, then that's what I'd put in......
27-07-2011, 17:41   #28
Mr Craggy

vrt form

Thank you for the most useful info I can now fill the form in and get my van registered as a camper. More help than I got from the "jobs worth" at the Revenue Commission.
Thanks again Mr Craggy:
Thanks from:
28-07-2011, 13:00   #29
Buford T Justice

If you read this post, its clearly explained. To be re-classified as a campervan, the Original EU bodywork needs to be down as BB, and the new bodywork type needs to be SA. It doesn't matter what SA means, it just needs to be on the form as SA.
28-07-2011, 13:10   #30
driadaifni

thank You for answer, in registration certificate my chevy stand as MINIBUS, not BB (van Lorry)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion