Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-05-2011, 11:19   #1
naglycd

Short Term car Insurance

I'm looking for insurance company which provide short term car insurance?
I would like to borrow a car from friend and I need to insure it just for 2 days, can this be done in Ireland?

I fund something but uk only...
http://www.aviva.co.uk/short-term-car-insurance/

Thanks!
Advertisement
29-05-2011, 11:21   #2
**Timbuk2**

Most insurers will do this. I've gotten insured on my dad's car a few times for a week / two weeks. If you ring them up they should be able to sort it out.

Although Aviva (Ireland) seem to have some rule where you can only add somebody short term 2 times a year, or no more than a total of 30 days, whichever comes first. I've already been added twice which leaves me in a pickle as I need to be put on the insurance this summer for driving on holidays (myself and my dad usually share the driving).

Edit: This was on somebody else's policy, which is not what you are looking for OP, so I'm not sure! I've heard of people getting added for a day because of driving tests, etc. , but usually that's as a named driver.

Last edited by **Timbuk2**; 29-05-2011 at 11:27.
29-05-2011, 11:24   #3
slinky2000

The UK system is so much better, they're are loads of companies that will allow you to take out independant short term insurance from 1day - 1 year without any catches etc.

I wish the system here was the same. Why can't quinn, aviva etc just allow anyone (especially those who don't have a permanent policy) to take out a few days insurance!
29-05-2011, 11:25   #4
Our man in Havana
Closed Account

He will probably need a letter from the pope to get insured in Ireland. :
29-05-2011, 11:28   #5
Our man in Havana
Closed Account

Quote:
The UK system is so much better, they're are loads of companies that will allow you to take out independant short term insurance from 1day - 1 year without any catches etc.

I wish the system here was the same. Why can't quinn, aviva etc just allow anyone (especially those who don't have a permanent policy) to take out a few days insurance!
They would make feck all money at it when you take all the administration into account. Also would a Garda accept a cert and disc printed out at home as evidence of insurance?
Advertisement
29-05-2011, 11:33   #6
slinky2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our man in Havana View Post
They would make feck all money at it when you take all the administration into account.
If the UK can manage it surely we can get something together. Most of the short tearm companies charge £30 per day inth e UK and the longer you get it for the cheaper it gets.

I've insured many a car when I was in the UK for a few weeks/month at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our man in Havana View Post
Also would a Garda accept a cert and disc printed out at home as evidence of insurance?
This is probably why the ROI hasn't done it yet.
29-05-2011, 14:46   #7
-Chris-
Closed Account

I would call the friend's insurance company and ask them if they can add you to his policy.
29-05-2011, 22:43   #8
naglycd

Thanks everyone for the replies/comments. I will make a few calls tomorrow.
29-05-2011, 22:47   #9
Dilbert75

If its for 2 days you'd be nearly as well to hire a car....
Advertisement
30-05-2011, 00:57   #10
Caddyvanman

+1 Car hire

( you'll have no problems with break downs and even better no problems if you have a prang, better than bending your friends car.)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion